• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Stellar M1200: tube + class D amplifier

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone willing to buy a pair and send to Amir for testing? Mono amps based on ICEpower 1200AS and 12AU7 tube buffer, 1.200W in 4 ohms, $6k pair.

https://www.psaudio.com/stellar-m1200-mono-amplifier/

Tube-2.png

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because we already know the outcome. The amp will measure worse than the Ice module it is based upon because of the tube buffer which will add pleasant 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortions. Objectivists, will cry foul to the degradation of performance. Impartial subjective/objective crossover people will say, it adds some euphoric sound qualities and if that is what a buyer wants, who cares, just don’t claim it is more accurate. Paul’s fans will grovel at how their Messiah has slayed the mythical Class D demons and it sounds so much better than any other Class D amp, in fact close to the $15k BHK amps, and if you can’t hear a difference you are deaf.

The forgoing will occur for pages, at the end of which the thread will be closed after the insults fly. Everyone will still believe what they will believe, but some more than ever.

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing particularly interesting to learn here, I think.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will drop ship some tube gear, if he wants to test it, but not this... definitely not this. It has to be something I want to play with later. You could probably get better results running your signal through a schiit Freya+ or even a Loxjie p20 on the way to a March Audio amp and into your speakers.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will drop ship some tube gear, if he wants to test it, but not this... definitely not this. It has to be something I want to play with later. You could probably get better results running your signal through a schiit Freya+ or even a Loxjie p20 on the way to a March Audio amp and into your speakers.

Since you are kinda offering, I vote you send some Carver tube amps.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because we already know the outcome. The amp will measure worse than the Ice module it is based upon because of the tube buffer which will add pleasant 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortions. Objectivists, will cry foul to the degradation of performance. Impartial subjective/objective crossover people will say, it adds some euphoric sound qualities and if that is what a buyer wants, who cares, just don’t claim it is more accurate. Paul’s fans will grovel at how their Messiah has slayed the mythical Class D demons and it sounds so much better than any other Class D amp, in fact close to the $15k BHK amps, and if you can’t hear a difference you are deaf.

The forgoing will occur for pages, at the end of which the thread will be closed after the insults fly. Everyone will still believe what they will believe, but some more than ever.

Jeez, you make all this fun seem so futile.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This could be why I am not invited to parties.

Are you 'that guy' who always spoils the ending to the book/movie? ;)

But..yeah...would be fairly predictable.

peanuts

so they chose the AS1 module with half the components removed compared to stereo AS2 with similare specs? lol. just so the potential buyer will think that monoblocks is better.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.bobcarvercorp.com/copy-of-crimson-raven
I would love to see data on one of these :)

B)
Looks interesting. Too bad it doesn't have XLRs.

I don't want to digress too much here, but I imagine it's (rather optimistically) more like 90dB than 110. The 110 is supposedly with tech that uses your speakers as a feedback mechanism. Conveniently, this tech wouldn't be able to function while the amp is being measured directly. Until we get speakers that measure like the latest DACs, this is a bit of a loophole to testing the claims. I am also having a little trouble grasping the application of using sound waves as feedback since they move 900000 times slower than electricity. I call BS on the spec and the explanation of the second feedback stage.
If I were to get a tube hybrid, I'd get a McIntosh.

I would get the cheapest thing I could find from Monoprice or Douk. I don't see the point. I would put separates together, but I wouldn't want to spend much on tube pre/ SS amp. I guess I don't have a logical reason for this preference; definitely no scientific reason.

I do get why the Mac is better than the others though. Big heatsinks, output transformers, heritage, etc. But with the tiny pre tubes and green LEDs, it still has a little too much in common with the aforementioned 'inexpensive' brands for my taste.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I do get why the Mac is better than the others though. Big heatsinks, output transformers, heritage, etc. But with the tiny pre tubes and green LEDs, it still has a little too much in common with the aforementioned 'inexpensive' brands for my taste.

Oh, I don't the McIntosh products are necessarily better, objectively.

But they look the tube amp part more than the PS Audio.

What's the point of having tubes if you can't show them off?

Although, TBH, I think the Allnic amps look cooler, but they're not hybrids.

Or Luxman.

As for the green tubes -- yeah, I don't like that, either.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
so they chose the AS1 module with half the components removed compared to stereo AS2 with similare specs? lol. just so the potential buyer will think that monoblocks is better.

Why sell one amp for $3,000 that costs $1,200 to make when you can sell two for $6,000 that cost $2,000 to make? Besides, everyone knows two are better than one.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I don't the McIntosh products are necessarily better, objectively.

But they look the tube amp part more than the PS Audio.

What's the point of having tubes if you can't show them off?

Although, TBH, I think the Allnic amps look cooler, but they're not hybrids.

Or Luxman.

As for the green tubes -- yeah, I don't like that, either.

Oh I agree. No way objective performance of mac amp section is better. I just meant it was a better match for a tube pre subjectively. No way output transformers do anything to benefit SS objective performamce either.

I don't see myself buying anything made after 1970 with tubes you can't see. For me the visual part of glowing tubes is a huge part of the allure. It might even be the larger part of it. I love being able to see the device that is doing the amplification.
1600990769875523548665271471724.jpg

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom