• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio PowerPlant P12 Review (Video)

Lambda

Major Contributor
This is based on reference listening level of 110 to 120 dBSPL. BTW, it is trivial for a headphone and amp to generate 120 dBSPL. I test at 114 dBSPL in all of my headphone measurements.
You say "-115 is the threshold of hearing. we can not receive anything below 115 no matter what"
"no matter what" is misleading.
The threshold of hearing can be as low as -5dBSPL (or 0dBSPL we can argue about this).

-115dB Corresponds to about 0dBSPL if 0dB corresponds to Reference listening level of 110 to 120 dBSPL.

As your talking about an powerful headphone amplifier... its 0dBrA point is not necessarily based on reference listening level of 110 to 120 dBSPL!?
BTW, it is trivial for a headphone and amp to generate 120 dBSPL.
So gifting sensitive IEMs and a powerful amplifier 0dBrA from the AMP could be way over 120dBSPL.
so -115dB could be over 0dBSPL

Even if no body would listen at this levels Lots of people want there amp to have High gain and headroom.

Moosi

This probably makes perfect sense to those individuals who have been buying Brita Filters for their tap water all their lives. :facepalm:
I don't buy Brita filter for the sake of being too lazy to keep changing and cleaning the stuff. But tea and coffee taste better with filtered water.

nsxelent

I'm new to your site and really enjoying your reviews! Great work on your analysis and review of the P12. I appreciate you giving each piece of equipment ample opportunity to succeed at measuring up to their claims in both subjective and objective testing. Highly informative and entertaining!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonderful review! Thanks so much Amirm.

(And not unexpected among us skeptical-minded)

Andysu

Major Contributor
You say "-115 is the threshold of hearing. we can not receive anything below 115 no matter what"
The threshold of hearing can be as low as -5dBSPL (or 0dBSPL we can argue about this).

-115dB Corresponds to about 0dBSPL if 0dB corresponds to Reference listening level of 110 to 120 dBSPL.

As your talking about an powerful headphone amplifier... its 0dBrA point is not necessarily based on reference listening level of 110 to 120 dBSPL!?

So gifting sensitive IEMs and a powerful amplifier 0dBrA from the AMP could be way over 120dBSPL.

Even if no body would listen at this levels Lots of people want there amp to have High gain and headroom.
err, 120dB unsafe listening seriously do you want to end up with tinnitus hearing damage?

Andysu

Major Contributor
It has been a while since I had done a video for the channel. So I decided to do one on PS Audio P12 AC Regenerator because so many youtubers had asked for it in the past comments. Was very tired from dealing with flood clean up in our home late at night so please excuse the bit of slowness at the start. Nothing new beyond the text measurement although you can read more into my voice than in few words that are in the review thread:

If you haven't seen the text review, here it is: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...io-powerplant-12-review-ac-regenerator.31298/
headless panther is too kind. how about the Cat Litter instead?

Lambda

Major Contributor
err, 120dB unsafe listening seriously do you want to end up with tinnitus hearing damage?
Your wrong on many levels.

1. You only need a system that can theoretically reach 120dB SPL
(this means if your "volume" is at -40dB and your peak SPL is 100dB your theoretical max SPL is 140dB even if it would clip and brun your headphones)

2. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/music-how-loud-is-loud-video.22434/
a live unplunged jazz concert is over 127dB peak for the audiance and way louder for the musicians.

3. I never said i listen at 120dB peak.
even if peak is not RMS. and it is especially not RMS A but way lower.

NIOSH-OSHA-Standards.gif

And and even if i would like to do something unhealthy for my pleasure....
I occasionally drink and eat unhealthy food.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Your wrong on many levels.

1. You only need a system that can theoretically reach 120dB SPL
(this means if your "volume" is at -40dB and your peak SPL is 100dB your theoretical max SPL is 140dB even if it would clip and brun your headphones)

2. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/music-how-loud-is-loud-video.22434/
a live unplunged jazz concert is over 127dB peak for the audiance and way louder for the musicians.

3. I never said i listen at 120dB peak.
even if peak is not RMS. and it is especially not RMS A but way lower.

NIOSH-OSHA-Standards.gif

And and even if i would like to do something unhealthy for my pleasure....
I occasionally drink and eat unhealthy food.
no your wrong.

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
Wonderful review! Thanks so much Amirm.

(And not unexpected among us skeptical-minded)
that power cleaner amp, is gonna need a bigger power plant. your gonna need a bigger power plant. :p

Attachments

• 67nx2w.jpg
    67nx2w.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 66

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
no your wrong. lets see your home theatre pictures and videos. your wrong all the way. wrong, wrong wrong.

I get 8k resolution from my 4k content when I power the TV from a regenerator. And that's with an old model! Can you imagine how much better a new model, like P12 can do? 16k? 32k? 64k? The mind boggles.

Andysu

Major Contributor
I get 8k resolution from my 4k content when I power the TV from a regenerator. And that's with an old model! Can you imagine how much better a new model, like P12 can do? 16k? 32k? 64k? The mind boggles.
gosh, oh my, i need to, hold on while i pet my Cats.
my Cat, Magic after watching star wars 8k
67nxs8.jpg

Andysu

Major Contributor
Good Reasoning. after going trough your argument it looks like your right.
Thanks for sharing this post with us.
oh was right i damn well am i have the tinnitus and moody mood to prove it was all unsafe noisy garbage movie soundmixer deafening unsafe

Lambda

Major Contributor
oh your still so wrong on the SPL dB it is unsafe, noisy quality soundmixers deafening noisy, quality bad s/n ratio of noisy and your so mighty wrong
I like how you bring sources to back up your claims instead of repeating your "arguments".
We can all learn a lot from you. keep up the valuable contributions.
I'm so overwhelmed by all this new information your provided i completely miss your point... what was it again?

"Listening loud is bad... m.kay"

And how is this related or even even contradicting my claim?

to rephrases in simple words.
If you have an powerful amplifier that could hypothetical play loud. A "low" output noise relative to its output power is not necessarily low in absolute therms.
Never did i claim anything about a listening level while making this point.

Interesting point. May I ask some questions? I'm still pretty new to some of these concepts. Can you help with these questions?

Are you saying that if the amp has high enough gain, distortion can be audible despite the noise floor / SINAD or whatever being incredibly low like -115db? I can see the value in having that much gain. My amps are maxed out in my living room just so I can hear dialog on quiet shows. So I get it.

Outside of very sensitive IEM's, and a recording that is mastered / mixed in such a way to allow that kind of gain to get those 127db peaks or higher while still being pleasing to the ear (aka not blasting loud all the time, do you know what I mean?), exactly when will this matter in the context of this power thing that PS Audio put out and to what degree? Is this just an extreme example to argue the -115 claim? Does this matter is almost every other situation imaginable except for very high gain and or high sensitivity playback? If so, to what degree?

oscar_dziki

It has been a while since I had done a video for the channel. So I decided to do one on PS Audio P12 AC Regenerator because so many youtubers had asked for it in the past comments. Was very tired from dealing with flood clean up in our home late at night so please excuse the bit of slowness at the start. Nothing new beyond the text measurement although you can read more into my voice than in few words that are in the review thread:

If you haven't seen the text review, here it is: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...io-powerplant-12-review-ac-regenerator.31298/
I think it's about time for them to change their name to BS Audio

Ismapics

The raw AC measurements were unloaded. The Topping A90 and two power supply tests naturally presented their load, albeit small one.

As I have mentioned, the #1 application for these devices is low power, sources. Even audiophiles that believe in this stuff take advice of their amp manufacturer and don't plug them into these boxes.
Hey we found another scientist. Check this out.

Power Conditioner Tests: Furman Reference 15i vs Panamax M5500-EX

Top Bottom