• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio PowerPlant P12 Amplifier Tests (Video)

Old Listener

If you are reading the forum, you know that we have run a second round of tests measuring power amplifiers and internal impedance of the PS Audio P12 AC Regenerator. Company has also been responding to my review which we have discussed in that thread. I thought I do a wrap up video on this as well as people on youtube don't commonly read the text threads. And at any rate, the flavor of discussion comes out better in video. So here it is:

Discussion thread is here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-audio-p12-review-part-2-power-testing.31432/
What!!! You called my baby ugly!!! How dare you?

welsh

It is indeed fascinating to see their reaction.
Have you been reading Wodehouse? That is ALMOST EXACTLY how Jeeves would phrase it (he would, however, have used ‘observe’ rather than ‘see’)…

Last edited:

welsh

I'm less concerned about the person buying a $10,000 power cable than the person buying a $100 cable thinking it will create better performance than a $10 one. Even if you have a $100 to spend, you should not be fooled into buying the more expensive cable on the basis of audibility.
I agree. The true victims of audio woo are not the old men with huge disposable income, but people who deny themselves other things or have to save up in order to buy into the ‘high end’.

kschmit2

This irrationality is something people don't practice in their real life but in audio they choose to do so and fight for the right to do it!
A certain breed of people seem to think that taking Ivermeticin is a good idea against COVID. They may as well resort to drinking disinfectants.

gks333

LOL, since my posted reply yesterday, already several replies prove my point. There are several people that are quick to post attacks like facebook fact checkers shooting down anything they dont agree with. Yes, most forums have SOME infighting but this forum goes psst some to a freak'in LOT of infighting and opinion bashing. Several still think that subjectivity has no place AT ALL in the audio world based on there replies.

kschmit2

LOL, since my posted reply yesterday, already several replies prove my point. There are several people that are quick to post attacks like facebook fact checkers shooting down anything they dont agree with. Yes, most forums have SOME infighting but this forum goes psst some to a freak'in LOT of infighting and opinion bashing. Several still think that subjectivity has no place AT ALL in the audio world based on there replies.
Present at least some arguments that support your position and we are most certainly willing to discuss the merit of those arguments

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Several still think that subjectivity has no place AT ALL in the audio world based on there replies.
So I ask again. I pour bottled water into two identical cups. Will you think they can taste different and demand a taste test? There comes a time that objective facts are so strong that they obviate the need for subjective testing.

But sure, we would love to see proper controlled testing on anything. We would like that more than you do. Problem is, none of you want to do this testing. You always want to do test with more senses than your ears.

Bachemar

Forum Donor
Several still think that subjectivity has no place AT ALL in the audio world based on there replies
It depends on the component.

The point being made here is that for power cords, regenerators etc. They “should not” (or cannot) change the sound output of audio devices for reasons outlined in the review. The measurement data simply proves that it also “does not” change the sound out - as expected. So insisting on subjective testing makes no sense.

At the other end of the spectrum with speakers and headphones that “do” have an impact the sound output, Amir does do subjective testing and shows EQ settings which points to specific deficiencies in the product that could use improvement

gks333

So I ask again. I pour bottled water into two identical cups. Will you think they can taste different and demand a taste test? There comes a time that objective facts are so strong that they obviate the need for subjective testing.

But sure, we would love to see proper controlled testing on anything. We would like that more than you do. Problem is, none of you want to do this testing. You always want to do test with more senses than your ears.
ABSOLUTELY. You put those same 2 cups with the same water but one has an empty bottle of Perrier behind it and the other is 25cent brand X behind the other. I GUARUNTEE most would say the cup in front of the Perrier taste better. They do this with wine tasting as well.

Holmz

Major Contributor
I was reading about asymmetric AC, and DC offsets producing transformer hum in another forum.
W/Could the PS12 make it more balanced and alleviate that?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@amirm
Just an idea for a test to check the line meter.

Use an amp with a known (measured) output resistance.
Feed it with 60Hz .
Connect the line meter to the output of the amp.
See what the meter says about the line resistance.

DonR

Major Contributor
I was reading about asymmetric AC, and DC offsets producing transformer hum in another forum.
W/Could the PS12 make it more balanced and alleviate that?
Would that not just shift the hum to the PowerPlant's transformer?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Would that not just shift the hum to the PowerPlant's transformer?

Not all transformers hum when (some) DC is present so it could be possible that the P12 would not hum but some audio gear might.

Of course... that would be a really, really expensive way to prevent transformer hum. A simple and cheap DC blocker is a better solution.

DonR

Major Contributor
Not all transformers hum when (some) DC is present so it could be possible that the P12 would not hum but some audio gear might.

Of course... that would be a really, really expensive way to prevent transformer hum. A simple and cheap DC blocker is a better solution.
Or just buy a better-designed piece of audio equipment that didn't hum.

egellings

Major Contributor
If the equipment knows the words, it won't have to hum along with the music.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Science isn't something you believe in; you know it.

^B.S.^ - My wild eyed friends have their belief with a higher level of certainty (or at least as much) as I have when I decide not to jump off a cliff to test gravity or grab a power line to test Maxwell.

Top Bottom