• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio PowerPlant P12 Amplifier Tests (Video)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you are reading the forum, you know that we have run a second round of tests measuring power amplifiers and internal impedance of the PS Audio P12 AC Regenerator. Company has also been responding to my review which we have discussed in that thread. I thought I do a wrap up video on this as well as people on youtube don't commonly read the text threads. And at any rate, the flavor of discussion comes out better in video. So here it is:

Discussion thread is here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-audio-p12-review-part-2-power-testing.31432/

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
PSAudio reviewing ASR reviewing PSAudio...

Madlop26

PSAudio reviewing ASR reviewing PSAudio...
Just read the thread, wow it was like reading the arguments of the flat earth people, beyond salvation and common sense.

nikosidis

It is not fun when you see the value of some snake oil product you bought go down the toilet ;)
The thing most do is to deny it and make false claims.
For some of the high-end manufactures it is also a matter of survival.
They are for sure on the way down thanks to ASR and others.
Amir is doing the right thing! Enlighten people. PS Audio and many others are simply a fraud.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It is indeed fascinating to see their reaction.

It really is.

Also interesting to see the posts from some of our members who clearly have serious butthurt issues from all the meanies around here.

Here they try to tell us we need to be nicer and more open minded (generally while dealing with nutty claims) while across the very small street they spit venom at you like you're the devil.

Sad to see grownups having such a hard time dealing...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It really goes both ways. There are folks on both forums that are polite, rude, defensive, aggressive, trolling, sincere, prejudiced, etc. I haven't found an online forum yet that is free of at least a few abrasive members.

No doubt, and we all have bad days, but for some the hypocrisy is deafening.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It really goes both ways. There are folks on both forums that are polite, rude, defensive, aggressive, trolling, sincere, prejudiced, etc. I haven't found an online forum yet that is free of at least a few abrasive members.

Sure that's true as far as it goes...people are people.

However, there is something inherently conflict-producing in the very approach or mentality of those who hold their subjective perception as superior to any objective evidence. It does not allow for finding out you are wrong, or any real way of settling issues. It's just one's personal experience, it's true, and that's that. Any questioning of this is viewed as a personal attack and is responded to with some form of ad hominem because of this. Because, since they have no other way to settle a disputed claim...what else do they have?

You can see exactly that dynamic playing out in the PS Audio thread. The "skeptics" are at least coming to the question with ways in which they can be convinced of the worth of the product, with some basic idea of what type of evidence would settle the question and that they would accept - e.g. some objective measurable evidence (and or listening tests controlling for bias). This is a way of saying "I'm skeptical of the claims, but I'm happy to be shown I'm wrong, and here is how we can determine if you are right and I am wrong." I see civilized technical arguments and questions being offered by such skeptics on the PS thread. But since the purely "ears only" side seem to have no such evidence to present, and often won't even recognize the relevance of such evidence, they are driven to talking about the character of anyone who voices skepticism. Various versions of Ad Hominem.

The point being, it's not JUST about an individual's character that can put the death spiral in such discussions. It can be the sort of epistemic dogma that one has adopted (without realizing it's dogmatic undertones). And of course, a lot of this is based on ignorance of science/engineering/human psychology as well.

DonR

Major Contributor
I would not mind people using listening tests initially to see if there was a difference. A double-blind ABX that chose the same target 90% of the time would actually go a VERY long way to bridging the measurement-listening divide. Once it is established that there is a difference, measurements may be able to shed light on why. Sadly, even single-blind tests seem rare.

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@amirm, the look on your face says it all about this device:

soniamdissapoint.png

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
If I had a nickel for every time they mention how much money they could save if only ASR was right. This reoccurring comment indicates how far into the sand they have driven their collective heads. To each their own. Their money their choice.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Most people are f*cking idiots.

A choice bit:
It doesn’t take more than a layman with the most basic understanding of properly explained electronics to understand that there’s simply no way for a Power Plant to NOT improve every imaginable aspect of components’ performance.
What the heck. The only way for less than adept performance is too small a Power Plant for a given system. They are expensive for a reason…

Top Bottom