• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio PowerPlant P12 Amplifier Tests (Video)

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree completely about the value quality instruments and diminished returns. What I was saying, is that you could still make a good song with an old beat-up Harmony guitar, so there is a subjective part in art making. For example, as much as I don't care for tube audio in Hifi, I would not let go of my old Fender amp. The reverb on it picks up a bit of radio on high level, but it sounds damn good. But it would not be the same if there was radio in my DAC.

But I'm drifting out of topic ! :)

ExUnoPlura

Forum Donor
I’m still a bit high from the British Audiophile’s suggestion that quantum mechanics might explain why quantitative cable tests don’t reveal the sound quality improvements that he observes. But then, this morning, I get my weekly blast from Audiogon and I see that PS Audio folks are discussing how power cables can impact SQ.

Somafunk

Major Contributor

Guerilla

That was just way til Long @amirm You could have said the same in 5 minutes. I did enjoy it for the full length, but I have other stuff I need to do. Consider also that these are dire times. Love Allan

TOR

I really begin to doubt what the intentions are of one of there Chief digital assets......tedsmith of ps audio , he feeds the trolls all they need to end the discussion (as in please go back and troll so we can close it). does he really design things ? since i cant imagine the way he acts or the way he presents his knowledge.

I feel sorry for the user glimmie that tried its best to reason with the top 6 trolls about HDMI and the P12 not being able to improve video quality of an oled for instance :)

When Ted Smith starts commenting on HDMI cable affecting video quality. It is the final nail in the coffin. When there is such a person with the lack of understanding in some basic electronic design principles in the design chain, it is no longer about the product meeting design specification. It becomes a safety concern. No one wants their home burn down or electrocuted by owning one of these equipment.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Weirdly enough it does not have any markings that the devices have been independently tested for safety.
Only CE marking but this is self-certification. When something happens to an owner and he sues PS Audio they have to provide independent test reports that show it is approved for the EU market.

PS Audio claims:
Indicates compliance with European Union Legislation for relevant safety (Low
Voltage Directive 2014/35/EU) and EMC (EMC Directive 2014/30/EU) requirements.

They either have devices tested independently or acc to their own measurements claim they comply and thus can use the CE logo.
One could question if these devices are also tested for regulations outside of the EU.

I have not seen any reports of people dying or getting hurt from PS audio devices. I assume safety ground is present (not measured/checked either)

You could always ask PS Audio for the safety approval tests. They should have them for every device that requires such certification.

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
well i know he was baiting a bit with a knowledgeable background to follow up if needed. but he did it while not offending anyone just probing, and hopefully get a conversation started, but this is the end result unfortunately.

Glimmie has been an excellent source for dealing with technical mumbo jumbo for years over on the AVS forum.

Watching that PS Audio thread, the reactions to Glimmie explaining the nature of the technology, and how it makes certain claims dubious, the trajectory was utterly predictable.

To my mind the purely subjective approach/response is on the continuum of anti-intellectualism (and anti-elitism "you think you're better than us, well you ain't!") The Golden Ears approach allows the individual with no training or knowledge to still feel competent to rebuff that of an expert.

"So you "Mr. Expert In This Field" with all your training and expertise and purported knowledge...you are telling me I can't be hearing what I KNOW I hear? Sorry Bud, MY EXPERIENCE trumps your expertise! YOU and the rest of your scientific and engineering buddies must be wrong about this!"

Similar to the psychological benefits of adhering to crazy conspiracy theories, where YOU see behind the veil of lies, unlike the rest of the blind sheep: it's ignorance masquerading as insight. ;-)

Joppe Peelen

Glimmie has been an excellent source for dealing with technical mumbo jumbo for years over on the AVS forum.

Watching that PS Audio thread, the reactions to Glimmie explaining the nature of the technology, and how it makes certain claims dubious, the trajectory was utterly predictable.

To my mind the purely subjective approach/response is on the continuum of anti-intellectualism (and anti-elitism "you think you're better than us, well you ain't!") The Golden Ears approach allows the individual with no training or knowledge to still feel competent to rebuff that of an expert.

"So you "Mr. Expert In This Field" with all your training and expertise and purported knowledge...you are telling me I can't be hearing what I KNOW I hear? Sorry Bud, MY EXPERIENCE trumps your expertise! YOU and the rest of your scientific and engineering buddies must be wrong about this!"

Similar to the psychological benefits of adhering to crazy conspiracy theories, where YOU see behind the veil of lies, unlike the rest of the blind sheep: it's ignorance masquerading as insight. ;-)
I had the same feeling. a bit like all these corona weirdos acted, or people that believe some politician eat babies etc... scary you cant even convince them otherwise.. its madness.

ExUnoPlura

Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just to translate what Glimmie said, the data stream on HDMI is totally random due to encoding and encryption. No way an HDMI cable can make subtle changes like improve color and resolution because that data is completely opaque. The cable can destroy the bit transitions and cause data loss in which case, you get visible corruption of pixels. If it doesn't do that, then the data gets through and you get what you put in.

In analog days, we transmitted RGB separate (e.g. component video) and since it was analog, you could cause noise to increase, soften the video (low pass), etc. We also had a clock and if you added jitter to that, pixels could dance back and forth on screen.

Today's displays have fixed pixel locations. This means the clock only needs to transmit what pixel needs to light up so it is immune to jitter. The display makes the conversion to waveforms it needs to drive the pixels. This path is so far removed from HDMI input that chances of noise from there interfering is extremely low.

Note that fidelity in video is entirely different animal than in audio. Standard consumer video has only 8 bits per color. That low resolution means that you can't disturb it nearly as easily as you can with 16 and 24 bit audio.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Just to translate what Glimmie said, the data stream on HDMI is totally random due to encoding and encryption. No way an HDMI cable can make subtle changes like improve color and resolution because that data is completely opaque. The cable can destroy the bit transitions and cause data loss in which case, you get visible corruption of pixels. If it doesn't do that, then the data gets through and you get what you put in.

In analog days, we transmitted RGB separate (e.g. component video) and since it was analog, you could cause noise to increase, soften the video (low pass), etc. We also had a clock and if you added jitter to that, pixels could dance back and forth on screen.

Today's displays have fixed pixel locations. This means the clock only needs to transmit what pixel needs to light up so it is immune to jitter. The display makes the conversion to waveforms it needs to drive the pixels. This path is so far removed from HDMI input that chances of noise from there interfering is extremely low.

Note that fidelity in video is entirely different animal than in audio. Standard consumer video has only 8 bits per color. That low resolution means that you can't disturb it nearly as easily as you can with 16 and 24 bit audio.
With any cable what goes in should come out as near as possible. If the HDMI cable destroys the bit transition then it proves the point some HDMI cables are better than others. So it looks like an HDMI cable can affect picture quality.
There is no difference brigade have been wrong footed by your post.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With any cable what goes in should come out as near as possible. If the HDMI cable destroys the bit transition then it proves the point some HDMI cables are better than others. So it looks like an HDMI cable can affect picture quality.

I’ll do you one better: the difference is night and day when using the wrong cable (or no cable) compared to a proper cable.

Considering that there’s no mystery as to what constitutes a proper cable (it is in the spec), any cable that makes a difference is just broken. Are you surprised that a broken cable can make a difference in audio or video?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Subjectivist: I just came back from checking out a Perpetual Motion Machine. My friend built it in his garage!

Physicist: *explains the physics of why that is impossible*

Subjectivist: But where you there? Have you tried a perpetual motion machine in your garage? If not, Mr. Physicist, you have no right to an opinion!

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Did you read AMIR’s post? He wasn’t posting about a broken cable, when he states the cable can corrupt the pixels. Either you don’t understand what he posted or have got your head on the wrong way?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
when a cable gives you corrupted data, it’s either used outside of spec, or broken. It’s really as simple as that.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Subjectivist: I just came back from checking out a Perpetual Motion Machine. My friend built it in his garage!

Physicist: *explains the physics of why that is impossible*

Subjectivist: But where you there? Have you tried a perpetual motion machine in your garage? If not, Mr. Physicist, you have no right to an opinion!
Why are you such a one trick pony? It’s you trying to deny people an opinion! How much audio equipment have you ever listened too, not much I suspect. All my clothes measure the same yet some are much better quality than others. You hard line measurists are Polyester Audiophiles.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
when a cable gives you corrupted data, it’s either used outside of spec, or broken. It’s really as simple as that.
Rubbish! A few years ago read a report on tests carried out on a variety of USB cables. None of them were transparent and there was data loss in them all, some of the more expensive ones tested badly.

Top Bottom