• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio PowerPlant 12 Review (AC Regenerator)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 249 90.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

Andysu

Major Contributor
Now there is a thought! You could in addition use the P12 as an air fryer as its fans would surely run full power to keep it cool under such a load!
a friend posted me the new air fryer as i have the actifry tefal . yeah a power conditioner for air fryer , blimey that's expensive finger linking roast chicken at $4.5k .

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a friend posted me the new air fryer as i have the actifry tefal . yeah a power conditioner for air fryer , blimey that's expensive finger linking roast chicken at $4.5k .
Your wife will taste the lifted veil in the kitchen. Like a change from factory farms to free-range.

Seriously.

egellings

Major Contributor
You then have to experiment with various mats that can be placed under the fryer. Pace and timing of the cooking could be enhanced by proper mat selection.

chungjh

Amir has shown that P12 or BK 9801 does not decrease the distortion coming out of amps. This assumes that the input voltage is close to 120. Maybe PS audio regenerators improves the sound for people who live where the voltage is suboptimal. This possibility has not been ruled out by Amir.

Reactions: DR3
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have generated highly distorted mains as if you had a dimmer in the path and it still made no difference to output of audio devices. Yes, you may get lucky and some hum or noise gets reduced eliminated (or get worse for that matter) but that is the only effect that can occur that seems reasonable.

chungjh

I see. But, it is still possible that the power clean up by PS12 or 9801 improves the signal for the front components like phono stage and streamer/DAC which don't produce much power. Have you checked these possibilities?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Phono stages have regulated power supplies so don't care about AC power/quality. You may create ground loops with them, or eliminate them due to high gain but that has nothing to do with power regeneration.

I have tested a number of DACs with these power products and they absolutely don't care.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I see. But, it is still possible that the power clean up by PS12 or 9801 improves the signal for the front components like phono stage and streamer/DAC which don't produce much power. Have you checked these possibilities?
Welcome. Interesting your first two posts here are challenging the review. Do you have some data from PS Audio that shows it helps with those lower power components? it would seem like they would have an easier time cleaning up/ regulating power than a monster amp.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I find it telling that the PS12 specifically doesn't filter out much of the higher frequency AC line junk which could possibly make its way into the power of a phono preamp whose filtering isn't all that great.

C. Cook

But did you test it for how 'hackable' it might be via the Ethernet connection to the outside world? I heard Russia has been busy "hacking" electricity grids*, so why not personal AC generators?

* - Joking of course, none of those stories were ever substantiated and many retractions were made in their wake.

P.S. - PS audio is notorious for this kind of thing. Would a serious audio engineering company make and sell AC mains cables (incl. from other mfg's) that cost up to $1000 and with specific recommendations for which power cable works best with each amp series they sell?

LOL https://www.psaudio.com/product-category/connections/

chungjh

Welcome. Interesting your first two posts here are challenging the review. Do you have some data from PS Audio that shows it helps with those lower power components? it would seem like they would have an easier time cleaning up/ regulating power than a monster amp.
I don't have any data but I often read that PS audio is better for front end components than amps. I definitely find that upper frequency distortions from my LuminX1/ Benchmark LA4 preamp is decreased with Torus RM20 power conditioner. My Benchmark amp sounds same with or without Torus.

Reactions: DR3

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I don't have any data but I often read that PS audio is better for front end components than amps. I definitely find that upper frequency distortions from my LuminX1/ Benchmark LA4 preamp is decreased with Torus RM20 power conditioner. My Benchmark amp sounds same with or without Torus.
Get some data and report back. ;)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Get some data and report back. ;)
That is the problem. A/B testing is useless except for fairly large differences. If anyone has to really intently listen to tell a difference then you CAN NOT A/B test. Your brain will give you false testing results all the time. This is the one area where even many of our members do not realize just how hard it is to A/B test something with speakers, in a room if the items are fairly close in sound. If it takes real concentration and effort then you must do a blind test. Oh, and that does NOT mean closing your eyes while listening! :facepalm:

egellings

Major Contributor
Do such testing under double blind conditions to keep internalized beliefs about specific pieces of equipment from clouding judgement.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Do such testing under double blind conditions to keep internalized beliefs about specific pieces of equipment from clouding judgement.
Yes in a perfect world that is the way to go. But even "at home" basic decent blind testing works and will amaze people at how much they can't hear once they have no clue what unit is playing. 99% walk away shocked as what they thought was so easy to hear vanished once they had no idea which DUT they were hearing.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That one uses very different technology to the one that was tested here.
This model generated more heat and simply is a power amp + (syncable) sine generator.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Yes in a perfect world that is the way to go. But even "at home" basic decent blind testing works and will amaze people at how much they can't hear once they have no clue what unit is playing. 99% walk away shocked as what they thought was so easy to hear vanished once they had no idea which DUT they were hearing.
PS Audio claims that
"The results are both audibly and visually stunning when powering either audio or video products."

Has anyone addressed the video part of the claim? I don't know how we would quantify that but "visually stunning" ought to be a "night-and-day" difference, yes?

Top Bottom