• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio PowerPlant 12 Review (AC Regenerator)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 249 90.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

PeteL

Major Contributor
So, what is the right solution if your building have Highly fluctuating voltage and abnormally noisy power distribution? What is the right metric/measurments to look for? What makes a good power conditioner?

pinpoint_oxford

So, what is the right solution if your building have Highly fluctuating voltage and abnormally noisy power distribution? What is the right metric/measurments to look for? What makes a good power conditioner?
I think the argument by the various measurements here and on other power conditioner devices is: nothing. Amir asserts that a well designed device's power supply should handle noisy/dirty/fluctuating power and that using a conditioner or regenerator is superfluous at best and possibly wasteful at worst.

tomo

@amirm
Great test!
I was just wanting to see the AC Regenerator test.
If you don't mind me asking, could you tell me the model number of the differential probe you are using?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$5,500. What an example of insanity.
You could spend 1/10th the price on a SurgeX surge suppressor/power conditioner that actually does something to protect your equipment from surges, lightning strikes, and brownouts. And even that’s expensive.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the argument by the various measurements here and on other power conditioner devices is: nothing. Amir asserts that a well designed device's power supply should handle noisy/dirty/fluctuating power and that using a conditioner or regenerator is superfluous at best and possibly wasteful at worst.
Well, something like this designed to protect equipment is useful. I mean, they use SurgeX at professional broadcast institutions and performance venues.

PeteL

Major Contributor
But this review don't demonstrate that.

pinpoint_oxford

But this review don't demonstrate that.
From the conclusion section of the review Amir states:

The rest of the tests show why none of these power devices are capable of improving the output of our audio devices. They do nothing about noise generated by the power supply which is easily filtered in the audio device.

PeteL

Major Contributor
From the conclusion section of the review Amir states:

The rest of the tests show why none of these power devices are capable of improving the output of our audio devices. They do nothing about noise generated by the power supply which is easily filtered in the audio device.
OK, but my question was, what if it does create problems in your environment. The solution is to not care and live with it cause it can't be fixed by no devices anyway? Or it means your equipment is poorly designed and you should change the whole chain to find some equipments that is fully imune to power problems? In complex systems it can be daunting.

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PS Audio - a gift that keeps on giving :)
Unlike the Jelly of the Month Club, anything from PS Audio is actually the gift that keeps on taking... and taking... and taking.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, but my question was, what if it does create problems in your environment. The solution is to not care and live with it cause it can't be fixed by no devices anyway? Or it means your equipment is poorly designed and you should change the whole chain to find some equipments that is fully imune to power problems? In complex systems it can be daunting.
If it's really that bad your power company should fix it. Otherwise buy a generator and make your own leccy.

PeteL

Major Contributor
If it's really that bad your power company should fix it. Otherwise buy a generator and make your own leccy.
Nah, In Canada Power companies won't do anything past the electrical entrance of the building, problems are with old buildings wiring, standards and distribution. Sure house owners can redo the whole thing, but it's far from cheap.

pinpoint_oxford

There is no harm in trying a product like this. Most companies (PS Audio included) have a free return period. I own a P12 and find it to be useful for my use case, old house with very dirty city power. I found it to lower my noise floor (especially playing records), so much so that you can hear the difference without anything playing.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What exactly are the AC mains problems you need a power conditioner to solve? Borrowing from John's picture of the spec.
index.php

Compare that to the spec of a Meanwell power supply (<USD$ 50), the AC mains voltage requirement isn't that much different. What does the PowerPlant 12 offer that a relatively cheap power supply cannot already accommodate?
meanwell.png

If the requirement is to ride out some semi-severe brown/blackouts, an online UPS IMO will be a more suitable choice. For example:

apc.png

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
:facepalm: Domestic power plants... come on... this is a leap from impressionism to surrealism
But...does make me wonder how clean the output is from various of the solar/battery/backup systems out there now....
Great work, Amir!

PeteL

Major Contributor
What exactly are the AC mains problems you need a power conditioner to solve? Borrowing from John's picture of the spec.
index.php

Compare that to the spec of a Meanwell power supply (<USD$ 50), the AC mains voltage requirement isn't that much different. What does the PowerPlant 12 offer that a relatively cheap power supply cannot already accommodate?
View attachment 189761

If the requirement is to ride out some semi-severe brown/blackouts, an online UPS IMO will be a more suitable choice. For example:

View attachment 189764
Thanks yes UPS certainly have use in some cases. I didn't say I need a power conditionner but I've come across many electrically induced, buzz-hums, interferences, it's certainly an issue for some, and when it is the case, what is the solution for it and what to look for. So input voltage spec is the one and only that matter in your view correct? Battery operation is a must?

egellings

Major Contributor
For some people, sound quality perception is belief driven and not based on any actual audible differences. They really do need to look at a rose through world-colored glasses.

Top Bottom