• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio PowerPlant 12 Review (AC Regenerator)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 249 90.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

Cougar

Not uncommon for voltage to sag in the peak periods and rise overnight. Change is very slow , however, and not perceptible. Line noise is very localized depending on your neighbour's fetish for power tools and equipment.
This happens as well on the AC lines here too and can dip to 116Vac during the night and winter time may even hit 114-115Vac without me even turning on any gear in my house. I even spoke to the Gas and Electric provider guy that was in the neighborhood and he said he would look into it to see if they needed to monitor the lines to see where it was happening at.

Cougar

This is going to get worse over time since more will be using LEDs light and other stuff that throws noise back on the AC lines.

egellings

Major Contributor
This is going to get worse over time since more will be using LED light and other stuff that throws noise back on the AC lines.
Having good HF filtering on the AC line input is always a good idea.

Cougar

Very true! Some gear I have already started to add the EMI/RFI AC input filter modules to some builds I have been doing with very good results. But for now that AVA Humdinger has cured the transformer physical buzzing and worked on other gear with bigger toroidal transformers, the small ones seem to be unaffected by the noisy AC lines.

I never had these issues until about 4-5 years ago and have been getting worse as the years go by.

Cougar

Here's one that I have installed in a Phono preamp.

PE0SSSSXA.JPG

DonR

Major Contributor
This is going to get worse over time since more will be using LEDs light and other stuff that throws noise back on the AC lines.
If the lights are not in your house, they should not affect you. While they throw a lot of HF noise on the lines there is no real power behind it and most power supply capacitors easily absorb those spikes assuming they get through the transformers. It is the higher power inductive loads like motors that can carry over across a neighbourhood.

Cougar

If the lights are not in your house, they should not affect you. While they throw a lot of HF noise on the lines there is no real power behind it and most power supply capacitors easily absorb those spikes assuming they get through the transformers. It is the higher power inductive loads like motors that can carry over across a neighbourhood.
Yeah, Like I said before I didn't have anything turned on except my system table, phono preamp, preamp, and power amp. I unplugged everything else and it was still present, after a certain time after sundown everyday. It was quiet during the day and then at night every day this noise came through the AC lines. There are some that use compressors on the block during the day but it is something else being used at night that is throwing this junk on the AC lines in the neighborhood. Which the AVA humdinger corrected with put in between the wall outlet and power amp/power strip.

DonR

Major Contributor
Yeah, Like I said before I didn't have anything turned on except my system table, phono preamp, preamp, and power amp. I unplugged everything else and it was still present, after a certain time after sundown everyday. It was quiet during the day and then at night every day this noise came through the AC lines. There are some that use compressors on the block during the day but it is something else being used at night that is throwing this junk on the AC lines in the neighborhood. Which the AVA humdinger corrected with put in between the wall outlet and power amp/power strip.
We will probably see more and more noise at night as homes move to heat pumps and an increase in EV home charging can cause more power line sag.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which the AVA humdinger corrected with put in between the wall outlet and power amp/power strip.

Well the humdinger is specifically for removing DC from the mains. So nothing to do with noise or switching spikes. Most likely the increased load on the local supply - possibly a single phase - in the evening when people come home from work is what cased the time related dc offset.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I agree. If you take a 2 gauge wire and attach it to your incoming AC to your house and then attach it to ground, it filters out all the HF noise on the line.......o_OLOL

Ok, I'm a smart aleck!

egellings

Major Contributor
I agree. If you take a 2 gauge wire and attach it to your incoming AC to your house and then attach it to ground, it filters out all the HF noise on the line.......o_OLOL

Ok, I'm a smart aleck!
The noise! The noise; not the 'lectrik.

Top Bottom