• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio P12 Review Part 2: Power Testing

respice finem

Major Contributor
Products like the P12 look like solutions running around looking for problems, often nonexistent, to solve.
With a minimal "fix": looking for problems, often nonexistent, to "solve" - this is about the definition of the whole "audiophile cult" IMHO.

egellings

Major Contributor
The only thing I can say is that if an audiophool truly believes that the power regenerator works, then for that person, it will, even though it does nothing. No cogent discussion about how AC is converted into DC, etc., will change the person's mind. It's audiophool homeopathy.

G|force

Forum Donor
Thankfully most of the gear I use nowadays is SMPS and low current draw, so I don't worry about plugging all of that into the wall directly. I have some older gear that I use intermittently that won't power on at all if the inlet is >126 or 132 VAC. That used to happen sometimes here but not recently.

Enter the discontinued Furman AR-PRO 'world voltage converter' that would accept 100-250VAC 50/60Hz and output 120V 60Hz. All performed with SCR's and that toroid full of windings. No regeneration here! It's junk in junk out if there is such a thing.

[edit] Two ranges selected with a toggle on the front, this was spec'd as a 30A device. The last time I saw them for sale new was 2005-2007 $2900 USD

I have a much more basic and throughly crappy but handy Furrman P1800-AR voltage stabilizer on hand, it's useful when grid events happen and some gear wont turn on due to over voltage. (!)

AR-PRO was a tool to solve problems, not a solution looking for a problem.

Attachments

• JPEG image.jpeg
    JPEG image.jpeg
    445.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

G|force

Forum Donor
Furman in Petaluma California
I have always wondered over the years how many of these broken blown or not operating units for sale on eBay were from over current (30A) or that toggle on the front being flipped up or down while powered.
The manual clearly stated - don't do that.
Kablooie SCRs

Top Bottom