• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio P12 Review Part 2: Power Testing

pinpoint_oxford

What does "refresh the OS" mean? Restart the computer? From the OS we can refresh some running program, which normally means restarting it, to reload new config for instance. But the OS can't refresh itself in that sense. What do they mean?
I just copy/pasted the email response. The person that emailed me was in cursomter service, so my guess is they got that information from an engineer.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just copy/pasted the email response. The person that emailed me was in cursomter service, so my guess is they got that information from an engineer.
I don't own the device nor planning to do so, but it sounded strange to me. I've been working with software engineers for more than 10 years and never heard that expression. Perhaps is some language artifact, or I'm just an ignorant, so that's why I was asking for.

Restarting the OS it's equivalent to restarting the computer, it's the only way to do it, but it doesn't makes much sense, as it would do so anyway when turning off the device. I never heard of a firmware update that restarts the OS, a bit strange right? So I guess it's refreshing the config of some process, governed by the OS. Or who knows...

It's not the most clear statement in the world, that's for sure.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
so my guess is they got that information from an engineer.
Most of the times, customer care people copy/paste what the engineers tell them, because they are afraid of speaking of something they don't understand, which is quite natural. So my bet is that this person didn't come up with this sentence, but anything is possible for sure. :)

Sorry, I've read your sentence the other way around. I agree, it comes form and engineer or at least from the tech team, and that's the issue. Whoever wrote this, or is not a software engineer, or wants to hide something and has given some loose explanation to avoid further complications. IMHO of course, I might well be wrong.

Last edited:

pinpoint_oxford

I think the firmware update did change something with the HC outlet. I turned on my system to listen to some music and noticed two relay clicks now when turning on the HC outlet. One click when the outlet comes on and a second click a few seconds later. Maybe when testing with my heater we can see a new result.

Perhaps the support rep misrepresented "OS refresh" when it actually did mean something.

Geert

Major Contributor
Perhaps the support rep misrepresented "OS refresh" when it actually did mean something
It's just PS Audio misleading their customers again. Like, there was no bug in or design issue with the software, it's just some bits that flipped because they didn't use a high end USB cable when flashing the firmware.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think the firmware update did change something with the HC outlet. I turned on my system to listen to some music and noticed two relay clicks now when turning on the HC outlet. One click when the outlet comes on and a second click a few seconds later. Maybe when testing with my heater we can see a new result.

Perhaps the support rep misrepresented "OS refresh" when it actually did mean something.
If there is no specific bug fix, it is just as liable to go back to previous mode (assuming something has really changed).

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If there is no specific bug fix, it is just as liable to go back to previous mode (assuming something has really changed).
They probably do bogus updates every so often just to keep the fanbois happy. Everyone is happy when version numbers go up.

"I'M RUNNING THE LATEST FIRMWARE!!! LISTEN TO THAT CHOCOLATEY MIDRANGE!!!"

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The entire notion of firmware on a power conditioner strikes me as hilarious.

I suppose this betrays yet another character flaw on my part.
Is there an eye-roll emoji available here?

Geert

Major Contributor
"we have found a few P12s that don’t properly bypass the HC outlets after powering up a unit".

How do they know it's only "a few P12's"? Do they monitor all P12's in the field? Bad luck that the DUT as well as pinpoint_oxford's device have the issue?

My guess is they want to avoid a public statement something is wrong with the P12's. Hence no firmware release notes and no announcement or advice on their website or forum. Maybe to painfull after claiming Amir doesn't know what he's doing?

Geert

Major Contributor
Next video from Paul with the QA manager.
You can't blame him. As you can't trust measurements according to PS Audio the QA process involves listening to each and every device that leaves the plant.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't blame him. As you can't trust measurements according to PS Audio the QA process involves listening to each and every device that leaves the plant.
I was thinking specifically about the software QA, the person responsible to explain why few units seem to need their OS to be refreshed while other's don't.

"Here we are with Rob, the CTO, who is the.... developer of the software that runs on the power plant and will explain what was fixed in the last firmware update and why some units benefit from it."

Last edited:

pinpoint_oxford

The entire notion of firmware on a power conditioner strikes me as hilarious.

I suppose this betrays yet another character flaw on my part.
The P12 has a touchscreen interface with monitoring tools, a web interface to log and control outlet behavior, among other "smart" features. It runs software and software has bugs that get fixed. Why is that a surprise?

Top Bottom