• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Noise Harvester Video Review

Labjr

Major Contributor
I wonder if you can start reviewing infomercial products like the Garden Weasel or the Potty Putter?

Newman

Major Contributor
Why doesn’t the chart at 3 mins....
799135DC-D3F2-475F-B9EB-05EC7426257D.jpeg

...have its effect on the chart at 6 mins...
412D159F-CA0C-4344-9D28-33BF1F613019.jpeg

I mean, why doesn’t it have a -20 dB effect at 6.8 kHz? Looks more like 2 dB.

cheers

Newman

Major Contributor
As mentioned at 15m15s, your standard step-down/rectify/filter mains power supply has a strong filter built in.

So, just for illustrative purposes, it might have made the point if @amirm had compared this....
0307F1EE-5785-4EEA-9E50-031AF73D277A.jpeg

...with the equivalent filtering performance of a typical audio component power supply.... !

cheers

Azathoth

I use to buy a custom power cable to connect my laptop's power supply to the wall. I actually believed it made the sound better. Yes the cable that goes from the wall socket to the power brick of my laptop. paid 100 dollars ish for it. My friend who happens to work at the store told me about better power delivery and less interference and thus better audio coming out of my laptop. Naturally that blew up into me buying something like this like a quest item to aid in my journey to audiophilia. And like the cable it did seem to work.

Looking back it's just that feeling of accomplishment washing over me as I try to do what I can and expecting the sound to be different.

Newman

Major Contributor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Does a good voltage stabilizer clean up the harmonic distortions of the power grid?

Absolutely. A good, large ferro-resonant transformer will clean up distortion, common and differential mode noise, spikes and keep the output voltge within a small range. All with no moving parts, no semiconductors and a simple design.

Downsides:
Expensive, large, runs warm, is not very efficient (wastes a bit of power as heat) and makes an audible hum. So not much good for HiFi unless you put it in another room. I have one in my storeroom I picked up from a data-centre for free years ago.

https://voltage-disturbance.com/power-engineering/ferroresonant-transformer/

Last edited:

Maki

Why would you be listening to the power grid?
Gives me an idea for an snake oil product to go along with all of these power filter type things - voltage divider that plugs directly into AC mains and you can listen to the waveform with headphones. Could also plug electrostatic headphones directly into the wall with a bias supply. "Hear your power being cleaned".

wwenze

Major Contributor
So why produce a graph with a source that doesn't represent its use case?

Because that *IS* the use case.

The harmonics are produced by the transformer. You don't put the noise harvester after the transformer.

And once you realize that, you will understand why people with understanding of i.r.l. power supplies groan at this product.

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
ferro-resonant transformer
One should probably distinguish between ferro-resonant and the switching auto transformers Amir mentioned. They work in fundamentally different ways. The big downside of ferro-resonant is they have a minimum useful power delivery, so they need to be sized to the load. But they do clean up crud and spikes nicely. Handy for really sensitive stuff. Modern dual conversion UPS systems killed them off for the most part.
I have two sitting in my cellar. One day I should get the scrap copper value back for them.

Lambda

Major Contributor
So why produce a graph with a source that doesn't represent its use case?
This graph is only helpfully if source resistance is also defined.

Impedance of the device vs frequency would actually be better.

@amirm
I kindly suggest you stop wasting your time and energy on BS Snake Oil products like this.
If your enjoining doing this as a fun and relaxing alternative, or what ever. More power to you.

The believers want to believ and produkts like this don't deserve (your) attention.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
One should probably distinguish between ferro-resonant and the switching auto transformers Amir mentioned. They work in fundamentally different ways. The big downside of ferro-resonant is they have a minimum useful power delivery, so they need to be sized to the load. But they do clean up crud and spikes nicely. Handy for really sensitive stuff. Modern dual conversion UPS systems killed them off for the most part.
I have two sitting in my cellar. One day I should get the scrap copper value back for them.

My UPS sits unused also, but not in my cellar (no cellar under our house- it's a pole home). The power consumption of the UPS when active is significant enough to render it of limited value. There is nothing "mission critical" enough to justify continuous ~75W consumption 24/7, just so I can run my bench/lab for a short period. After all, the lights will go off anyway. :)

Labjr

Major Contributor
I wonder why they call it a harvester? Does it remove noise and store it somewhere else?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if posting the original review and blocking comments on the video thread would drive comments to YT where they would boost your status in the search and recommendation algorithms.

Top Bottom