• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio M700 Monoblock Amplifier Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the PS Audio Stellar M700 Power Amplifier. It is kindly sent in by a member and costs US $2998 for a pair from the company direct.

The M700 is quite heavy for a class-D amplifier. I picked it up by hand and nearly hurt my back trying to hold it that way!

The industry design is well, a bit industrial but follows the rest of PS Audio:

PS Audio Stellar M700 Power Amplifier Audio Review.jpg

Back panel is simple and as expected exception for inclusion of duplicate binding posts for "bi-wiring:"

PS Audio Stellar M700 Power Amplifier Back Panel Inputs Connectors Audio Review.jpg

In use, the amplifier didn't even get warmer. It did shut down when overloaded with my stress test of 20 kHz tone but otherwise was stable.

Overall, I am happy with the look and functionality of the M700.

Amplifier Audio Measurements
As usual, we feed the amplifier a near perfect 1 kHz analog signal and examine what else comes for the ride in its speaker terminal output:

PS Audio Stellar M700 Power Amplifier Audio Measurements.png

The gain is a bit higher than nominal 29 dB but there are no standards there. And higher gain is not a bad thing in itself.

SINAD which is the sum of noise and distortion is at 83 dB mainly due to high level of distortion. You can see how the third harmonic to the right of our 1 kHz tone (tall peak) is around -85 dB. Add a bit of noise to it, ignore the sign and you get the SINAD of 83.

This puts the M700 slightly above average of over 100 amplifiers measured so far:

Best monoblock amplifier review 2020.png

Signal to noise ratio shows that at 5 watts there is a bit more noise than I like:

PS Audio Stellar M700 Power Amplifier SNR Audio Measurements.png

Ideally I like to see dynamic range of 96 dB so that we can hear the full range of CD's 16 bit signal without amplifier adding too much noise of its own. Fortunately the noise doesn't scale with power so if you turn up the volume, that issue remedies itself (right bar graph).

Frequency response is NOT to my liking:

PS Audio Stellar M700 Power Amplifier Frequency Response Audio Measurements.png

Class-D amplifiers have strong switching noise which needs to be filtered. This filtering needs to be designed in a way that doesn't interact with the speaker and change the frequency response of the amplifier. Here, despite me using a simple resistive load, we are getting strong peaking around 50 kHz. That by itself is not audible but if you go down to 20 kHz, you see some very minor impact. A real speaker may make that impact larger, causing roll off or peaking of high frequencies. Here is an example of Hypex NC400 amplifier showing how it should be done:

index.php

Measuring power vs distortion using our 4 ohm load we get:

PS Audio Stellar M700 Power Amplifier Power into 4 ohm load Audio Measurements.png

Seems like there is too little feedback to control the distortion as it starts to rise at just 20 watts or so. Still, lots of power which is good. And it delivers even more if we allow it to have more distortion than above:

PS Audio Stellar M700 Power Amplifier Peak and Burst Power into 4 ohm load Audio Measurements.png

This is one powerful amplifier!

Class-D amplifiers have complex "transfer functions" and the M700 is no exception:

PS Audio Stellar M700 Power Amplifier Power into 4 ohm load vs frequency Audio Measurements.png

Switching to 8 ohm we still get a lot of power:

PS Audio Stellar M700 Power Amplifier Power into 8 ohm load Audio Measurements.png

But with similar distortion profile as before.

Conclusions
The M700 provides tons and tons of power which I consider to be a top requirement in any power amplifier. So many speakers these days are inefficient (due to smaller enclosures) and hence, power is needed to drive them without distortion. The so called Stellar Gain stage though appears to be adding distortion early to the response though. Fortunately not very audible even at the extreme so subjectively it would be fine.

Overall, I personally would get a Hypex NC400 or NC500 based class D amplifiers. They are technically superior although may not quite as powerful. So while this amplifier is not for me, it may be for you. :)

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

We have a fenced-in garden to keep our herd of deer out of it. Well, they finally figured out to jump the tall fence and start to feast on our near ripe fruits and vegetables. :( We can't hurt or hunt them so I need to hire someone to stand guard 24 hours a day to keep them out. If I don't there won't be anything left for us to eat, and I will die of hunger and you won't see more reviews. So I hope this entices you to donate to fund the garden security using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this using the ICE 700AS2?

Why does your 4ohm wattage measurement shoot up in THD at 250W and it stops at 300W, yet the THD vs wattage vs frequency graph goes to 800W?

_________

This is a review and detailed measurements of the PS Audio Stellar M700 Power Amplifier. It is kindly sent in by a member and costs US $2998 from the company direct.
Should be noted that it’s for the pair.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why does your 4ohm wattage measurement shoot up in THD at 250W and it stops at 300W, yet the THD vs wattage vs frequency graph goes to 800W?
Looks like the graph got chopped off too early.

3125b

Major Contributor
Good amount of power, but I would have expected a little less noise and distortion. Still, not too bad.

Reactions: wje

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I looked quickly but could not tell. Hopefully someone less lazy than me can find out. :)

Is this using the ICE 700AS2?
Pretty sure it's 700AS1 (formerly 700ASC);)

From Stereophile:
IMG_20200808_085139.jpg

Well, the datasheet doesn't show how good is that sound quality...

Screenshot_2020-08-08-08-44-07-726_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Screenshot_2020-08-08-08-43-43-403_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Anyway, for 3000$/pair, these are NOT competitive at all. For 1100$, my 1200AS2 amp runs circles around these. For 2800€, you can get a stereo Ncore NC1200 Amp etc etc...

Last edited:

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This amp puts out more power in 8Ohms than 4?

Also, are you not doing the simulated speaker load anymore? May be useful to see if frequency response is load dependent in audible band.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This amp puts out more power in 8Ohms than 4?
No. I just truncated the power spec for 4 ohm when it took a sharp vertical rise. See the bar graphs where it showed a lot more power if you allow distortion to rise.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Also, are you not doing the simulated speaker load anymore? May be useful to see if frequency response is load dependent in audible band.
I put it aside since it was taking up space on my desk and it didn't generate a lot of useful data.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
NC1200's crush this, so why bother? Willing to bet they choose ICEpower due to margins.

maty

Major Contributor
And, very important, thanks to the PS buffer added to the IcePower 700ASC module -> dominant H3 :mad:

Or without harmonics at -90 dB as the IcePower module or dominant H2 (how much?), never dominant H3.

index.php

Almost two years have passed and I still have not received a response from the technical department in this regard, when I mentioned it the first time in a thread about the new D-Class at Audiocircle forums.

GaryMnz

I'd like to address two things.

1/ You say you like to see 96db sinad minimum so that it can handle the entire dynamic range of CD at least.

So tell me. Under what circumstances in the real world are you able to reproduce 96db dynamic range? What is your listening room noise floor? What is the peak capable or tolerable sound pressure level in your listening room?

Instead please estimate what real world dynamic range your listening environment can support.

2/ This declared need for high power levels for typical loudspeakers. Please play some music on your own system at your normal loudish listening level (ie what would be the acceptable max under normal conditions for you) put a scope across the speaker terminals, and measure the peak voltage you see.

Convert this peak to an rms voltage and calculate the equivalent power into a nominal 8 ohm load (as the amplifier spec assumes).

Tell us that power.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to address two things.

1/ You say you like to see 96db sinad minimum so that it can handle the entire dynamic range of CD at least.

So tell me. Under what circumstances in the real world are you able to reproduce 96db dynamic range? What is your listening room noise floor? What is the peak capable or tolerable sound pressure level in your listening room?

Instead please estimate what real world dynamic range your listening environment can support.

2/ This declared need for high power levels for typical loudspeakers. Please play some music on your own system at your normal loudish listening level (ie what would be the acceptable max under normal conditions for you) put a scope across the speaker terminals, and measure the peak voltage you see.

Convert this peak to an rms voltage and calculate the equivalent power into a nominal 8 ohm load (as the amplifier spec assumes).

Tell us that power.
Define Real World Dynamic Range and why it matters.
Prove that #2 is a valid test for anything.

win

Seems like there is too little feedback

Yea, because Paul for some reason thinks feedback is bad. But he also says power cables make a difference and sells a $10,000 power regenerator. Slimy is as slimy does.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Yea, because Paul for some reason thinks feedback is bad. But he also says power cables make a difference and sells a $10,000 power regenerator. Slimy is as slimy does.
He most likely didn't do anything and just slapped an ICEpower module in an enclosure and called it a day. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the price should reflect that.

win

He most likely didn't do anything and just slapped an ICEpower module in an enclosure and called it a day. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the price should reflect that.

No no see your system just isn't RESOLVING enough like Paul's is. That's why you can't hear how good it sounds, but trust his 70 year old ears.

Normally I don't like to lob insults but you should see the stuff they say about this forum over at the psaudio forum, Paul included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom