• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio FR10 sneak peak

Penelinfi

There they are, they look "normal sized" I guess. Rear passive radiators on this one

IMG_20230524_194122.jpg

Last edited:

SDC

Why the distance between neo8 and the woofer? Pure design?

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If the crossover point between midrange and woofers is low enough it wont have negatives but can boost their response toward low frequencies enabling less baffle step compensation and higher sensitivity final product. Also, keeping the woofers low is known way to eliminate 180Hz-280Hz dip that is result of the floor bounce when measuring in-room response.

And i mean if the crossover point is low enough.

Chris Brunhaver

Audio Company
While these are based on the BG NEO8, it's our own design - we tooled our own plates, are using magnets twice as large and a higher grade and have corrugation and some aluminum segments at the edge for damping. Here is a picture of the custom diaphragm.

diaphragm.jpg

Sensitivity of the mid is pretty high at 96 dB and we have an integrated sealed back chamber.

We cross over the driver at about 500 Hz and the low placement of the woofers is to, as Zvu mentions, eliminate the floor bounce in the woofers (and midrange), as it exists above the woofers range and below the midranges range, based of their respective heights off the floor.

JPA

Forum Donor
Floor bounce is still controversial. Toole has implied it's beneficial, but whether it is or not seems to depend on the music.

Chris Brunhaver

Audio Company
Floor bounce is still controversial. Toole has implied it's beneficial, but whether it is or not seems to depend on the music.
I know that Paul Barton at PSB is a big disciple of Toole's work and does his measurements at the NRC and also a lot of work around the vertical placement of the woofers in their tower designs around this topic. Martin logan/paradigm also mention this in their newest design (optimizing the driver placement for boundary interaction and smooth in-room response.

It is something that isn't represented in the free field measurements of speaker but a functional issue with loudspeakers and rooms.

I had originally considered spacing the woofers closer but this is the reasoning for the current baffle layouts.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We cross over the driver at about 500 Hz and the low placement of the woofers is to, as Zvu mentions, eliminate the floor bounce in the woofers (and midrange), as it exists above the woofers range and below the midranges range, based of their respective heights off the floor.
The low placement of the woofer definitely has the advantage you mention, on the other hand I would be interested to hear from you why you didn't place one of the woofers high(er) for a more distributed modal excitation?
Thank you also for participating here. :)

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
While these are based on the BG NEO8, it's our own design - we tooled our own plates, are using magnets twice as large and a higher grade and have corrugation and some aluminum segments at the edge for damping. Here is a picture of the custom diaphragm.

View attachment 287964

Sensitivity of the mid is pretty high at 96 dB and we have an integrated sealed back chamber.

Chris,

When will you make public the "proper" measurements that you promised when the FR-30 was launched?

Chris Brunhaver

Audio Company
Chris,

When will you make public the "proper" measurements that you promised when the FR-30 was launched?
We sent an aspen FR20 out for Klippel NFS testing but there was an issue with the low frequency measurement of the system not being represented in those measurements accurately (by a couple of dB).

I still posted some of them here, including some on and off axis frequency response, directivity index and ERDI, a horizontal polar map, a ground plane bass measurement.

Chris Brunhaver

Audio Company
The low placement of the woofer definitely has the advantage you mention, on the other hand I would be interested to hear from you why you didn't place one of the woofers high(er) for a more distributed modal excitation?
Thank you also for participating here. :)
I think that with a taller, more expensive speaker model that could definitely make sense. Those widely spaced woofers are more directional, than more closely spaced ones and so we can't do that with our planar midranges without moving to a 4-way system. That ends up being a cost and bass output compromise because a decent proportion of your enclosure volume might be taken up by the 3rd "way" in the 4-way system. It would be possible to do a tapered 3.5 way design though with a pair of woofers on top and bottom but only in a 4 woofer system. with tighter spacing on the inner set of woofers.

Last edited:

SDC

View attachment 287964

500 seems a bit high too me. But I'm no pro so just my 2 cents...

Chris Brunhaver

Audio Company
I've been chatting a bit with Erin Hardison off and on and I'm going to get a pair sent out to him in a couple of months for measurement and review.

We also, have an upcoming review in HifiNews in the UK that should publish first, I think.

One thing to keep in mind in the US is that PS Audio sells direct and offers and trade-in program (giving you your full retail purchase price back as a credit towards up to 25-30% of your new purchase). A lot of people take advantage of this and so the effective pricing for them is $7500.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's OK I guess but did not impress me much. And the aesthetics and price do not help...

3125b

Major Contributor
Better than some (most?) boutique brands and better than PS Audios previous ... undertakings, but (especially for the price) pretty mediocre.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

We may need to put our prejudices on pause (not easy , it is after all PS Audio :)). I would reserve judgment until I hear these.
But in regard of their MSRP (about $10,000)
.. The competition is brutal and unforgiving with arguably better objective performance:
I'd rather get one of these
Passive: Kef R11 Meta, Revel F228Be,
Active : Genelec 8351, 8361, Neuman KH 420 !!!

Peace.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Hi

We may need to put our prejudices on pause (not easy , it is after all PS Audio :)). I would reserve judgment until I hear these.
But in regard of their MSRP (about $10,000)
.. The competition is brutal and unforgiving with arguably better objective performance:
I'd rather get one of these
Passive: Kef R11 Meta, Revel F228Be,
Active : Genelec 8351, 8361, Neuman KH 420 !!!

Peace.
Ps audio has better IMD, distortion is very low and good compresion... the ultra very wide horizontal dispersion is just unique from this speaker too. Good bass also.

Seems very good for a small room to medium

Last edited:
Top Bottom