• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Direct stream dac -Is this hype?

Confused_by_tech

Forum Donor
Can anyone explain to me briefly the theoretical and actual advantages of this dac (if any)? Other than a $6000 Price tag I can decipher little.

Not surprisingly there are video “introductions/discussions” by Paul McGowen which are quite laudatory.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 6FFB1350-5EBC-41E9-AE3F-9A661160F7E9.jpeg
    6FFB1350-5EBC-41E9-AE3F-9A661160F7E9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 518

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can anyone explain to me briefly the theoretical and actual advantages of this dac (if any)? Other than a $6000 Price tag I can decipher little.

Not surprisingly there are video “introductions/discussions” by Paul McGowen which are quite laudatory.

Thank you.

How cute. They're naming their operating systems after ski resorts now?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-perfectwave-directstream-da-processor-measurements

Even with the new firmware (EDIT: Granted not the new Snowmass firmware), the high levels of harmonics is very disappointing for the price. Besides that and the jitter, it’s decent/good everywhere else.

A Benchmark DAC3 or Chord Qutest are 1/3 the price. Besides aesthetics, there really is nothing to praise for the DirectStream.

I wonder how their upcoming TSS model DAC will perform (separate units for digital and analog sections of the DAC), Ted said just the bill of materials is in the $2000-$4000 realm, and that’s even with not going with the nicer enclosures they wanted, I really hope it performs well, as it’s insane to think the BOM is equal to double the MSRP of the DAC3.

Last edited:
OP
Confused_by_tech

Confused_by_tech

Forum Donor
Thank you for your thoughtful responses. At times I feel like I’m lost in Sherwood Forest.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Snowmass? No way -

Snowjob.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...Snowmass? No way...

Yep, the PS boys plan to spend a white Christmas 2019 in a nice chalet with an outside hot-tub, occasionally jumping into the snow naked to make snow-angels after downing half a bottle of celebratory 8 year old Scotch whiskey. The days will be spent skiing on the Snowmass ski-fields, Aspen mountain and dining out in town until late at night.

All depends on selling a heap of these Direct Stream D/A converters of course, but they've booked the chalet already... :)

Fone

Nothing to decipher there. Just nicely written prose.

Well, he is trying to sell a box so a positive pitch is the way to go.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are none, this is just FUD. There is nothing deeply hidden in digital audio files.

Regarding the different formats it makes sense to convert PCM data with a DAC able to convert PCM, and DSD data with a DAC able to convert DSD. Just doing a software conversion from PCM to DSD will not improve the quality of the signal, but when done wrong may degrade it. The same is true for the other direction.

I would just interpret this sentence different: Imagine going to a recording studio and listening to a master tape of any recording made. There is no need to go into a recording studio - just buy the equipment the pros use in the studio. You won't find PS-Audio there, but look for names like MOTU, RME, ANTELOPE, etc. This is no nonsense stuff with a price/quality relation difficult to beat.

Since you already asked for the RME: Let us know what you really need and I'm sure you will get some good recommendations for equipment which measures good and is not overpriced.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-perfectwave-directstream-da-processor-measurements

Even with the new firmware (EDIT: Granted not the new Snowmass firmware), the high levels of harmonics is very disappointing for the price. Besides that and the jitter, it’s decent/good everywhere else.

A Benchmark DAC3 or Chord Qutest are 1/3 the price. Besides aesthetics, there really is nothing to praise for the DirectStream.

Or the RME for a 6th of the price, if you don't need MQA, Streaming, Roon support et al.

I wonder how their upcoming TSS model DAC will perform (separate units for digital and analog sections of the DAC), Ted said just the bill of materials is in the $2000-$4000 realm, and that’s even with not going with the nicer enclosures they wanted, I really hope it performs well, as it’s insane to think the BOM is equal to double the MSRP of the DAC3.
I would not expect better THD. IMHO the only way to sell overpriced DACs (or general audio equipment) is to deliver a specific brand sound (often high K2 HD) which some people with lot's of money to spare like. If you've found this brand sound you cannot easily change to a transparent sound because then you have to compete with the market on price only.

Top Bottom