• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio BHK M600 monoblock (HiFiNews)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

For a hybrid design that has tubes in the signal path, I am impressed by the measurments knowing that PS Audio has historically done pretty poorly under the measurement lens.

Full review

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, yes, that's true. It's not bad as these things go. I'm not sure why I would pay 30,000 pounds for it, but maybe that's just me.

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, it's hi-fi jewelry for sure. But you can say the same thing about luxury cars versus utilitarian cars.

Compared to the NAD M23 (Purifi) measured by the same protocols, the BHK M600 has better SNR!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, it's hi-fi jewelry for sure. But you can say the same thing about luxury cars versus utilitarian cars.

Compared to the NAD M23 (Purifi) measured by the same protocols, the BHK M600 has better SNR!
Well, it should for the price difference. And being a staid, boring engineer, I don't need hi-fi jewelry :)

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Horrified by the standby power consumption though...114 W. Surely there must be another "deep standby" mode to meet modern regulations in various places? It would seem not, only truly off via the back switch, then "idle" and "play" mode via the front panel button. Manual quotes 75W for the "idle" mode.

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be clear, I wouldn't buy or recommend this based upon price alone, but I was just pointing out that their high-end products actually measure well. I have my Yamaha MX-A5000 powering my home theater, a Marantz PM-10 powering my office system, and a pair of JBL 708P's in my studio. I am amplifiered-out with a collection of vintage amps that I enjoy bringing out from time to time.

Apparently the 75W standby is to keep it at optimal performance.
"... a 'cold' M600 already shows a low 0.0055-0.006% distortion but after several hours of running this reduces still further to 0.00095%"

I think if you are one of the people who can afford a BHK M600, you probably can also afford a nice solar+battery home energy production/storage system.

egellings

Major Contributor
To be clear, I wouldn't buy or recommend this based upon price alone, but I was just pointing out that their high-end products actually measure well. I have my Yamaha MX-A5000 powering my home theater, a Marantz PM-10 powering my office system, and a pair of JBL 708P's in my studio. I am amplifiered-out with a collection of vintage amps that I enjoy bringing out from time to time.

Apparently the 75W standby is to keep it at optimal performance.
"... a 'cold' M600 already shows a low 0.0055-0.006% distortion but after several hours of running this reduces still further to 0.00095%"

I think if you are one of the people who can afford a BHK M600, you probably can also afford a nice solar+battery home energy production/storage system.
Both of those figures are vastly below audibility.

Top Bottom