• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio AirLens...

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have to say the Paul's marketing on it is brilliant and great patent fodder. Objectively as far as actual functionality goes? Eh not so much... As I'm watching it I'm thinking "Wow! Totally useless and self-contradictory, but its clever!"

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1665214645737.png

Step right up
Step right up
Everyone's a winner
Bargains galore
That's right you too can be the proud owner of
The quality goes in before the name goes on
One tenth of a dollar
One tenth of a dollar
We got service after the sale
How 'bout perfume
We got perfume
How 'bout an engagement ring
Somethin' for the little lady
3 for a dollar
We got a year end clearance
We got our white sale on a smoke damaged furniture
You can drive it away today.

OP
Cars-N-Cans

Cars-N-Cans

Did he just claim to invent sony/philips i2s data format ?
I caught that, too. At the 4:30 mark. Maybe its using I2S thru the HDMI connector he is referring to, and coming up with their own in-house brew for using it.

30 Ounce

I think PS Audio was the first to use hdmi cables to transmit the signal. They certainly did not create the format!

sq225917

Major Contributor
I2s over hdmi then, so he came up with a pin assignment...

Ricardus

Dude has had a friend request with me on Linked in for months. Morbid curiosity alone made me accept.

OP
Cars-N-Cans

Cars-N-Cans

One of many.

So, what is the new toy?
The AirLens, I assume? I think it basically looks like a DAC to a PC, but it has a galvanically isolated digital output with its own clock. Supposedly it’s a “clean” version that won’t “contaminate” your audio like USB, according to Paul’s logic. You still need a DAC afterward to provide the actual audio. Much like Paul, it’s a middle-man in your system.

I would like to see one show up at ASR :) I suspect like their DACs it will be another audio freak sideshow with respect to its measurements.

Reactions: GDK
OP
Cars-N-Cans

Cars-N-Cans

The success of PS Audio is based on finding something to sell to people who have already spent a lot on the essential bits: ‘You have a great source, amp and speakers … but do you have an AC power regenerator?’
Exactly, and the impressive part is no matter how absurd the claims are or how abysmal the product is, Paul coolly keeps a straight face, smiles, and acts like its 110% legit going to change your life forever and win the next Nobel prize while he makes the sales pitch.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The AirLens, I assume? I think it basically looks like a DAC to a PC, but it has a galvanically isolated digital output with its own clock. Supposedly it’s a “clean” version that won’t “contaminate” your audio like USB, according to Paul’s logic. You still need a DAC afterward to provide the actual audio. Much like Paul, it’s a middle-man in your system.
Thanks. No reason for me to sit through it now.

Recluse-Animator

It's a business built on selling great priced audio kit up until about the turn of the century, that then transitioned into veblen goods.
Maybe he realized that by selling decently priced products hadn't got him rich.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but if I have to sit through a video just to find out what a product does, I'm not interested.

Top Bottom