• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Development thread: High-end dual opposing 10" subwoofer: Sigberg Audio 10D

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I guess this means our specs are mostly finalized too:

• Frequency response:
    25-250hz +/-3dB (ground plane)
    22-270hz +/-6dB (ground plane)
    19-250hz (typical in-room response)
  • Max SPL @ avg 30-80hz/1m RMS:
    ~117dB
  • Dimensions (WHD):
    360x370x410mm (425mm with feet)
  • Weight:
    27kg

haraldo

I may be stepping out of the comfort zone but there been talk of double back-to-back and 4 driver back-to-back subwoofers from Sigberg with ScanSpeak Revelator 28W drivers, I don’t think it gets any better than this . .. sorry to let cat out of the bag ... maybe too early :rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I may be stepping out of the comfort zone but there been talk of double back-to-back and 4 driver back-to-back subwoofers from Sigberg with ScanSpeak Revelator 28W drivers, I don’t think it gets any better than this . .. sorry to let cat out of the bag ... maybe too early :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hehe. The "11Q" may or may not happen. I have four Revelator 28W drivers in stock in case I suddenly get some time on my hands, but so far we haven't even built a prototype, so there's no specific timeline for that product yet.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
For those still on the fence: Only two days left of the introduction price, regular retail price in effect from May 1st.
Deliveries are expected to start in June.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
First production batch is on the way. Lots of things going on to make everything line up with both the 10D subwoofers and the new SBS.1 speakers, so while we theoretically could start shipping in June/July as planned, deliveries will likely be postponed to August to ensure we have full control over quality on everything. But these are going to be awesome! :D:cool:

10dcabinets.jpg

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

I'm not directly familiar with that kit, but it seems to use an ICEPower amp module, as well as three, shallow mount-style 9" drivers. The box has somewhat different dimensions but the total volume is pretty similar. I guess it's reasonable to assume that the SPL capacity is relatively similar. With regards to the sound quality of the Atohm subwoofer I cannot comment as I have not heard it and I am not familiar with the drivers used.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Specs have now improved slightly:
23-250hz +/-3dB (ground plane)
20-270hz +3/-6dB (ground plane)

Here's a graph showing how it integrates with our new SBS.1 active speakers as well. 40-500hz +/-1dB :)
1629028408972.png

Last edited:
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Well, they explained the main benefit very well: half the enclosure size needed, which is what this kind of dual opposing woofers subs is about, no?

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Well, they explained the main benefit very well: half the enclosure size needed, which is what this kind of dual opposing woofers subs is about, no?

Whether you save much volume depends on which isobaric configuration you choose. And they're all more complex than a "regular" push push / dual opposing. The most compact configuration, a clamshell configuration with one of the drivers outside of the box may look cool in a car, but isn't practical in a living room situation. In theory I guess you could have them downfiring so that one driver is sticking out of the bottom with longer sides so that it is hidden, but that will then add to the height (and in practice size) of the subwoofer.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Whether you save much volume depends on which isobaric configuration you choose. And they're all more complex than a "regular" push push / dual opposing. The most compact configuration, a clamshell configuration with one of the drivers outside of the box may look cool in a car, but isn't practical in a living room situation. In theory I guess you could have them downfiring so that one driver is sticking out of the bottom with longer sides so that it is hidden, but that will then add to the height (and in practice size) of the subwoofer.
Yes, enclosure building may be more complex. It just looks like such a good idea to me that I don't really understand why it isn't refined (aethetically) a bit more by a manufacturer that cares.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes, enclosure building may be more complex. It just looks like such a good idea to me that I don't really understand why it isn't refined (aethetically) a bit more by a manufacturer that cares.

I can't speak for other manufacturers, but as a relatively small manufacturer we tend to prefer simple but sound designs.

And again, the benefit isn't as big as it may seem. The most space saving is a clamshell configuration with a protruding driver. But if you have to design the enclosure so that the protuding driver is hidden, most of the saved space is probably lost again.

EDIT: I also suspect that while they originally may give better performance at low frequencies than traditional enclosures, this can now be solved by modern class D amplifiers and DSP. Small, ported cabinets are going away for the same reason.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I can't speak for other manufacturers, but as a relatively small manufacturer we tend to prefer simple but sound designs.

And again, the benefit isn't as big as it may seem. The most space saving is a clamshell configuration with a protruding driver. But if you have to design the enclosure so that the protuding driver is hidden, most of the saved space is probably lost again.

EDIT: I also suspect that while they originally may give better performance at low frequencies than traditional enclosures, this can now be solved by modern class D amplifiers and DSP. Small, ported cabinets are going away for the same reason.
Well, it can always be "solved" by throwing more watts at it, but I had the impression that this configuration had the advantage in the Hoffman race. Isn't it often used in PA?

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Well, it can always be "solved" by throwing more watts at it, but I had the impression that this configuration had the advantage in the Hoffman race. Isn't it often used in PA?

Isobaric isn't more effective. PA often use horn loaded systems, I don't believe the majority of PA subwoofers are isobaric.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
(Double posting from the SBS.1 thread since this review was of both products)

The first review of both SBS.1 and the 10D subwoofers (collective test of SBS.1 speakers paired with two 10D subwoofers) is out. Norwegian only, but here are a few bits of the article translated to Norwegian. :) The review was in the Norwegian hifi magazine "Stereopluss"

"This is sound at a high, international level!"

"The bass is deep and controlled. It's also fast and detailed, without becoming too anemic or sterile. Yet it is the vanishing act of SBS.1 that impresses me the most. They do exactly what some small speakers are extremely good at, which is to disappear, leaving just the music. There's no audible footprint, yet they fill the living room with sound. There's depth, width and an excellent holographic quality. It's extremely precise, and the placement of musicians and singers in width and depth is excellent(..)"

"Sigberg Audio SBS.1 and 10D is living proof that you don't need large speakers get a large and powerful sound. The ability of SBS.1 to seemingly vanish is simply magic, and with the ability to tailor the sound through the onboard DSP, amazing musical experiences are possible even in difficult rooms.(..)"

1630612110094.png

Last edited:
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
(cross posting here and in the SBS.1 thread)

Just wanted to share that we had an exhibit with SBS.1 speakers and two 10D subwoofers at the Norwegian hifi show "Hifimessen" this weekend, and the reception was awesome. Lots of great feedback from the audience, and to top it off, the Norwegian magazine Stereoplus in their video report from the show unofficially judged the sound in our room to be the second best of the entire show (40 exhibitors), and the bass to be by far the best of the entire show!

We're extremely happy with this reception of both our speakers and subwoofers!

You can see the full video here:

For those who can't speak any Norwegian, I guess a short glimpse of our room and setup at about 10:50 into the video is of most interest. :)

We also have a short video on Facebook showing the room, briefly showing both the Inkognito subwoofers, the 10D subwoofers, as well as the SBS.1 speakers, all in both black and white: https://fb.watch/98Yq8KrjAU/

253180197_414754473565395_9137546965631190333_n.jpg

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Quick update on shipping policy / pricing. We already had free shipping, but we are now changing our pricing policy so we have fixed worldwide prices with shipping, tax and import costs included! This means full transparency and predictability for our customers wherever they may be.

So from today we dont only have free shipping worldwide, we will ship door to door with DHL and cover all taxes and import costs. The price you see is what you pay.

DHL will bill us directly, so there is no hassle on your end with paying and getting it refunded. Everything is prepaid by DHL when the product arrives. Feel free to contact me in DM here at ASR if you have questions about the ordering process or our loudspeakers and subwoofers! :D

Top Bottom