• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pros & Cons of Tower / Bookshelf Speakers?

Aprude51

I’ve recently been auditioning both tower & bookshelf speakers in my audio / theater room, and have been investigating the benefits & limitations of each form factor. Outside of an article by Audioholics (https://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/bookshelf-vs-tower-speakers) I’ve not found much useful advice on this subject, and so I wanted to seek input from the community.

It seems to me that besides space savings, the main benefit of bookshelf speakers is the availability of active options. Outside of those two reasons though, I can’t see any benefit to choosing a bookshelf. What do y’all think? I would be interested in hearing from anyone who chose to run bookshelf speakers for reasons other than space savings.

I’ve outlined my views on the pros & cons of each type below:

Tower - Pros & Cons
+ Better Bass Response
+ Wide Variety of 3-way options
+ No Stand Required
+/- Space & Aesthetic Considerations
- Few Active Options

Bookshelf - Pros & Cons
+ Active Options
+ Bass Placement Flexibility (assuming you go 2.1)
+/- Space & Aesthetic Considerations
- Requires a stand
- Less bass OR requires subwoofer
- Few 3-way options

BillG

Major Contributor
For the living room, or larger spaces, I'd opt for towers probably. But, there are numerous, very competent bookshelves out there that could give any good tower a run for their money - towers generally handle more power, though, and thus, can produce a stronger SPL.

For a bedroom/study/den/office/small apartment, I'd go with bookshelves, for the obvious space savings. By the way, they don't necessarily require stands, particularly the front ported varieties which can be placed on a shelf/desk/table/mantel and backed up quite close to a wall. Even a foam plug in rear ported ones, or some EQ, can tame the boominess, if present, of being backed up close to a wall effectively. Backing up a rear ported bookshelf speaker closer to a wall can even increase the bass response, if one finds it lacking... :cool:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stands don't have to be expensive. If you have never done it before, integrating a sub can be frustrating. Don't even try it without a calibrated mike and REW.

invaderzim

Stands don't have to be expensive. If you have never done it before, integrating a sub can be frustrating. Don't even try it without a calibrated mike and REW.

Adding a subwoofer to bookshelf speakers always sounds like it is so easy but the reality is quite different. I fought mine for a couple of years and just recently tried REW. Finally it is starting to sound more right after moving the sub and adjusting it way beyond where I ever tried just by listening. And I still have a ways to go.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You sum up the pros and cons very well.

There are some big bookshelf speakers (eg Harbeth 40.2) which are 3 way and go down to 35Hz. There are also active floor standers.

Generally speaking I don't see any reason that a well designed bookshelf speaker plus stand couldn't match a floor stander.

Overall in considering speakers I think it's better to look at driver types and how they might suit you - cones, ribbons, electrostats, hybrids, and other less well known methods - or even just a speaker as a whole regardless of any driver type. The other factor might be crossover type - passive or active (electronic).

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Note in many cases if you place a bookshelf on a stand it takes the same floor area as a tower.

Bookshelf speakers are typically less expensive than towers. And some have less output capability and lower sensitivity than towers.

It is more challenging to mount large towers high on the walls for surround sound duty.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
That's correct, but the towers still look a lot bigger than the stand+stand mount.

Try this article by Robert Harley:

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/subwoofer-basics/

Yes, there are aesthetic considerations, but that was mentioned in the first post.

Was the article in general or directed at me? I was integrating professional systems before I built my first DIY servo sub ca. 1979 and have had subs in some form pretty much constantly since that time. I have moved from my $10k+ pro measurement system with an Earthworks M30 and preamp to the much cheaper, easier, and more fully-featured REW with a CSL-calibrated UMIK-1. My current primary system uses four subs placed to compensate some nasty room modes and dialed in using REW.

But, after all that bit of ego-pumping, I have never read Robert Harley's book so cannot comment on its contents.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Bad questions because they are very generic.

At least you have to specify room size, distance to the speakers, type of music you listen to and if you want them also for multimedia. Amplifier, watts?

How much?

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Stands don't have to be expensive. If you have never done it before, integrating a sub can be frustrating.

This is true - however the counterpoint is that at least with a bookshelf+sub system you have the option of moving around and adjusting the sub (phase, eq, etc) separate from the main speakers for the best low frequency integration in the room. With just floorstanders, you will need to make a compromise between the best location for optimum imaging versus the best location for optimum bass/room integration. This is why I think at least one sub is always required for systems striving for quasi-accurate in-room response for 60hz and lower regardless of whether you have full range floorstanders or limited range bookshelf speakers. .

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There's no doubt that bookshelf speakers are the more flexible option. They can be shelf, stand, or even wall mounted, easily moved and from an aesthetic point of view, they are more attractive.

They are generally cheaper when new and much easier to resell as they can be packed and shipped at a much lower cost. Floorstanding speakers have a poor retained residual value for all the opposite reasons. But that can be an advantage when buying floor standing speakers on the 2nd hand market- they can be absolute bargains.

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
For the living room, or larger spaces, I'd opt for towers probably. But, there are numerous, very competent bookshelves out there that could give any good tower a run for their money - towers generally handle more power, though, and thus, can produce a stronger SPL.

For a bedroom/study/den/office/small apartment, I'd go with bookshelves, for the obvious space savings. By the way, they don't necessarily require stands, particularly the front ported varieties which can be placed on a shelf/desk/table/mantel and backed up quite close to a wall. Even a foam plug in rear ported ones, or some EQ, can tame the boominess, if present, of being backed up close to a wall effectively. Backing up a rear ported bookshelf speaker closer to a wall can even increase the bass response, if one finds it lacking... :cool:

Would you mind throwing out some bookshelves that you think stand up well vs. towers? Apart from Harbeths, I haven't had much luck with them, despite trying many options. Appreciate it!

Daverz

Major Contributor
In my limited experience, stand-mounts image better, though I don't see why that should be the case in general.

Other than that, they are much easier to move around.

OP
Aprude51

Aprude51

Bad questions because they are very generic.

At least you have to specify room size, distance to the speakers, type of music you listen to and if you want them also for multimedia. Amplifier, watts?

How much?

You’re responding to a different question than the one I actually asked.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you mind throwing out some bookshelves that you think stand up well vs. towers? Apart from Harbeths, I haven't had much luck with them, despite trying many options. Appreciate it!

I have a few bookshelves that I am ready to throw out, that is to the garbage.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I had to live with one type it would have to be tower speakers, as I ultimately find them more satisfying. But I looove long trips to stand-mounted speakers (I own one pair of floorstanding, 4 pairs of stand-mounted). As someone who plays around with speakers, switching them up, I sure appreciate the ease of moving around and switching between stand mounted speakers!

Totoro

This is true - however the counterpoint is that at least with a bookshelf+sub system you have the option of moving around and adjusting the sub (phase, eq, etc) separate from the main speakers for the best low frequency integration in the room. With just floorstanders, you will need to make a compromise between the best location for optimum imaging versus the best location for optimum bass/room integration. This is why I think at least one sub is always required for systems striving for quasi-accurate in-room response for 60hz and lower regardless of whether you have full range floorstanders or limited range bookshelf speakers. .
I agree, I do floorstanders plus 2 subs. I’ve been thinking about getting a couple more small subs to distribute around the room.

maty

Major Contributor
You’re responding to a different question than the one I actually asked.

You are right.

I do not usually participate in such generic discussions, usually endless, where there are usually only opinions and opinions.

Only one tip, in case of using subwoofers, it is best to buy those that allow phase regulation and not only switching between 0º and 180º, which will make its integration and optimal placement in the room easier. Two subs better than one.

subwoofer-rear-phase-regulation.jpg

In EU, my choice, from Germany: Canton.

[PDF] https://www.canton.de/media/pdf/Manual_Canton_Aktivsubwoofer.pdf

Canton-subwoofers-rear-phase-M-L-modules.png

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
I have an irrational love of floorstanders... it's entirely subjective and largely superficial... I just love how they look. The more drivers the better.

That being said, I only have one pair, and they're mostly in the way (physically) more than actually being used. As far as bookshelf speakers... well, I would say I have a few and my wife would say "way, way too many". ;) In almost any application where I want decent sound - they are the obvious (and in many cases only) choice. Unlike towers, you can adjust their vertical placement easily by changing stands/shelf height. With the subs, they still have full range capabilities - but unlike the towers, if I want to listen at moderate levels after my wife has gone to sleep... I just turn the subs off and away I go.

All that being said... I still spend way too much time looking at towers in magazines, catalogs, and online and dreaming. If I had a completely dedicated, treated, and isolated media room... then I'd put a pair of Revel Ultima Salons (or similar) in it, and drool on myself while listening all day long - grinning like a mental patient the whole time.

Until that day I just keep wishing my present towers were lighter and easier to move out of the way when not in use - and listening to monitors/bookshelves 90% of the time.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I wonder why the narrow width of baffles in tower speakers is not considered detrimental compared to older style speakers with baffle widths of two to three times the width of the bass speaker. I haven't kept up with speaker design but it has me thinking whether it is related to décor fashion?

Top Bottom