• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Proposed Rating System

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Hi,

I've discovered your website a few weeks ago and I love it.
I was reading the "Audibility thresholds of amp and DAC measurements" and it was very informative and eye-opening.
I'm still a beginner and don't understand the relative important of each measured metric, like others here.

With that in mind, i would like a propose a rating/ranking system similar to Rtings.
They rank each product in terms of a relative value (ex. rating of 8.7 for Neutral Sound).
If you look at the breakdown of how they came up with that value, you'll see that it consists of multiple metrics (all ranked in terms of percentages).
Here's an example of headphones:
1575327395283.png

Imagine ranking each product reviewed here, based on a similar system.

Is it possible/feasible to do something similar here in ASR?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Rtings stores all metrics/data in some database and their rank system is a simple math calculation based on the fields in that database.
I would assume that such a ranking system wouldn't be possible on a forum, as a forum doesnt host dynamic content from a database.
So the assumption is that a new website would need to be created and maintained...something like ASRdb.com.

What's the goal of this system, you ask?
I believe it will make it more user-friendly and less-technical, in order to rank each product against each other.
I understand that Rtings is not for hard-core enthusiasts, but it works for most non-technical people (Rtings has 136,000 youtube subscribers after all).
I believe a ranking system will increase viewership on ASR.

Also, Rtings doesnt rank their products based on cost, so that variable is removed from the equation.

I'm cool if you reject the idea, but I wanted to share it.
Thoughts?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I believe a ranking system will increase viewership on ASR.
It will but it won't be sound science. Correlation of individual metrics with fidelity is not strong. Certainly not strong enough to come up with 1 to 10 scores, let alone have a decimal place after it! Magazines and Rting give those scores for marketing reason but they are not defensible. Whatever I/we do must be defensible.

So for now, the only scoring is whether I recommend or don't recommend something.

FYI we are working on dynamic presentation of all the review data. That will partially get you there but not all the way.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
ASR's Mission Statement:

facts.gif

Top Bottom