• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Properly record speakers in my studio

zabu

Hey guys,

I have the following speakers here in my acoustically treated homestudio and really would love to share the differences between them.

APS Klasik 2020
Dynaudio BM5 MKIII
Dynaudio LYD-7
Kali Audio IN-8 2nd Wave
Yamaha HS8 (modded)

I was comparing the speakers for 1 week here and the differences are remarkable.
My 10 yr old Yamaha HS8 did quite okay until now, I knew their weak spots very well so I was always able to translate my mixes pretty well. Only thing that was a real problem to me was the sharp highs that makes your ears tired pretty quick. Also the HS8 doesn't give you much depth for vocal mixing etc.
But for the price they were always quite good in my opinion.

Now it's time to get some new ones and I've decioded to order the ones stated above. I had pretty high expectations for Dynaudio because they are very well known here in Europe and have a good reputation. The APS Klasiks 2020 on the other hand I didn't even know existed before a member of an audioforum told me about them. The Kalis got some good reviews online so I thought I could try a 3-way speaker too.

I thought this comparison would be a neck and neck race but boy was I wrong. I immediately put my Zoom H4n on the tip of the 158cm stereotriangle to record all the speakers. But sadly the highs are recorded too harsh and the recordings didn't really tell what I am hearing.

So what I am asking: is there good way to record (I have the ZOOM H4N, AKG P420 (modded), 2x Oktava MK-012 matched pair) the sound of the speakers without getting phase issues and strange recordings?

I really feel the need to show people how extremely superior and absolutely amazing 1 speaker pair is. It is ridiculous that they don't cost ~2000€/pair.

Regards,
zabu+

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So what I am asking: is there good way to record (I have the ZOOM H4N, AKG P420 (modded), 2x Oktava MK-012 matched pair) the sound of the speakers without getting phase issues and strange recordings?
In theory, if there are good measurements of the candidates, you could devise a convolution filter based on the impulse response of the speakers to emulate their sound on a different system. Obviously the playback system should be as linear as possible as well.

OP
Z

zabu

Thanks for your response. Well I've already made some 1M REW measurements, but only with my ECM 8000 mic, also placed on the tip of the a=158 stereotriangle.

Isn't there an easy and good way to record the speakers? I woudl prefer to play some tracks and people can listen to it to hear the difference.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe @mitchco in his review of the original Kef LS50 used these in-ear microphones. You can download his binaural recordings (need to be listened with headphones) in the review.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To get some idea of the basic frequency balance, record with a good omni (the ECM 8000 likely would do) at something like 1.5 meters. The closer the better as this reduces room reflections/echoes in the room. Your ear actually filters those out and you don't hear them, but the microphone does. If you get too close the output of the different drivers won't blend to be representative of what you ear. You may have to try different locations at 1.5 meters. Often tweeter height or between tweeter and woofer is a good place.

Further, in your auditioning compare them in mono, as in one speaker only playing. It is easier to hear differences in speakers in mono than stereo. You will prefer the same speakers in stereo that you do in mono, it just makes it more difficult to hear the differences so clearly.

Probably the best method is the one NTK referred do as Mitchcho has done for letting others hear the differences.. Some decent binaural in ear microphones.

If going with what you have on hand, then give the ECM8000 a try at 1.5 meters and see if it captures the character of the differences for you.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Or, you could just tell us what the good ones are ...

VenVile

Or, you could just tell us what the good ones are ...
I know right. Just give us a write-up, comparing each pair of monitors, and your general impressions. Who does what better? What are their strengths and weaknesses? If you had to pick one out of the bunch, who'd you go with, and why?

Top Bottom