• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Properly integrating sub in existing system

OP
G

groovybassist

Forum Donor
My understanding is Rythmik subs have no DSP. Honestly, I have the non-Meta LS50's and I use the DSP built into a Crown XLS 1502 for a high pass. I use the built-in low pass in my L12's. The Crown doesn't measure that well and the setup seems more cobbled together than audiophile, but it sounds great. The optional HPF on a F12 is 80hz, 2nd order. I prefer 100 4th order in order to maximize dynamic range. I doubt there is a noise problem. The F12 HPF is probably passive. Call the company up and ask them. Or send an email.
I did email Rythmik over this weekend; I’d expect to hear back early this week.

This system is in our living room, so while WAF isn’t the primary driver, it is a consideration.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did email Rythmik over this weekend; I’d expect to hear back early this week.

This system is in our living room, so while WAF isn’t the primary driver, it is a consideration.
Try to get the matte black finish. The subs are pretty big in person. If you put them far away from the mains delay can be a problem. If the room is a rectangle and the system is on the short wall the subs may be located along the long walls the same distance or closer to the LP. It's nice if you can do it.

OP
G

groovybassist

Forum Donor
Try to get the matte black finish. The subs are pretty big in person. If you put them far away from the mains delay can be a problem. If the room is a rectangle and the system is on the short wall the subs may be located along the long walls the same distance or closer to the LP. It's nice if you can do it.
Some of the pro audio subs look interesting. Most have XLR inputs/outputs on the high pass filter, which mates well with my current gear. Lots to think about.

In terms of placement, I’m pretty restricted. Our living room is at one end of a long, open concept rectangle. With furniture placement and walkways, I’m pretty much limited to the long wall which the Metas are on.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m interested in feedback/suggestions for properly integrating a sub into my existing system (if possible). By “properly integrating” I mean relieving my LS50 Metas of some bass frequencies and relying on the sub to provide these frequencies. I’m not interested in earth-shaking bass - I’m more interested in providing a little more bass foundation for the Metas. My knowledge of subs, crossovers, etc. is very limited, hence my request for input.

My system is comprised of the following:

Matrix Audio Element X (used as Roon endpoint)
Neurochrome Modulus-286 Stereo Amp
LS50 Metas

As you can see, this is a very simple system comprised of high-performing individual components. Given the low noise/low distortion nature of the system, I’d like any components added to perform similarly and not compromise overall system performance. Feel free to make any suggestions you think fit the use case, but I’m most interested in suggestions that don’t involve the “sell everything and start over” perspective. Thanks in advance for any suggestions y’all have!
Do you want bass extension or higher playback level?

OP
G

groovybassist

Forum Donor
Do you want bass extension or higher playback level?
I generally listen at low to moderate volume. Occasionally I turn it up a bit, but probably not to the level most folks on ASR do. Based on that, extension is more important than high volume. Perhaps I’m overthinking this and should just run the Metas full range, using the sub to fill in the bass.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I generally listen at low to moderate volume. Occasionally I turn it up a bit, but probably not to the level most folks on ASR do. Based on that, extension is more important than high volume. Perhaps I’m overthinking this and should just run the Metas full range, using the sub to fill in the bass.
Then you can add a subwoofer and adjust it to exactly match your speakers’ low frequency cut off. The subwoofer will take over when the main speakers start to trail off.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of the pro audio subs look interesting. Most have XLR inputs/outputs on the high pass filter, which mates well with my current gear. Lots to think about.

In terms of placement, I’m pretty restricted. Our living room is at one end of a long, open concept rectangle. With furniture placement and walkways, I’m pretty much limited to the long wall which the Metas are on.
Then keep the subs near the mains.

Top Bottom