• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Properly featured phono preamp with line input for dac

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I‘m moving on from my class a amplifier in favour of class d, almost certainly the purifi based March audio p452. I’d resolved to move to a single dac as a source motivated by the prospect of an easy life, but my family can’t abide the thought of me retiring my beautifully restored vintage turntable, so I need to find a way of integrating a turntable into this system. I’ve been digging around for a decent solution for handling a dac and mc cart, my criteria being:

1) reasonably priced, don’t mind paying for a little added luxury but chord levels are right out;

2) needed capabilities are moving coil input, good riaa implementation, close as possible to a straight wire with gain, sub sonic filter, adjustable gain for cartridges and volume control for both dac and phono. A headphone output would be nice, as would balanced output.

A bit of internet trawling hasn’t found anything resembling the above in one box, although the project d2 (non usb version) comes close, it’s just short of one dac input.

Hopefully one of ASR fold will have found an elegantly engineered solution to this self inflicted problem-please shout if this is you.

NB: Many of you will be tempted to cry ‘ditch the Stone Age rumble player’! I appreciate your sentiments but it’s not on the cards so I’m inevitably destined to try and get this egg out of the omelette. Sorry.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
An old fashioned UK centric response here and I do hope someone can come up trumps for you with modern gear on the international market all-in-one...

These days, you will either have to pay a small fortune for a lavish higher end confection, or bite the bullet into two dedicated boxes. Loads of stuff on the used market and not all of it is rubbish or worn out. UK based, I have very fond memories of the Quad 66, 77 (and descended 99) preamps and the later 44 in dark grey livery was good - no balanced outs though.

Meridian 502 was an excellent preamp but no phono stage (I don't know the later ones). Cyrus did some quite good preamps here but no idea about international distribution.

I'm trying to think of stuff not silly money here..

Quad Artera preamp?

One for you lot over the pond on the used market. What about a Bryston BP25P with built in phono stage? I had one for a few years and repeatedly found the sonics a bit 'stark' - until I left it on overnight by accident (my wife didn't care for 24/7 operation). On each occasion I returned to it well warmed through, it 'sounded' sublime and 'sweet as a nut.' This HAS to be a measurable thing but if left on (twenty year warranty remember), it would be wonderful apart from not not having adjustable phono settings.

I gather Schiit may be looking at a no holds barred phono stage (it's been hinted at on Jason's blog I think). Maybe two neat stacked boxes (aforementioned stage plus a Freya S) might jyst do the business for you an dnot cost the earth?

Hope this helps a tiny bit.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you are looking for a modern preamp, rather than a DAC, by modern I mean it has digital inputs as well. Something like this.
https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/model=str-pre-amplifier/page=overview

Or you could go for two boxes. Either a separate DAC into an analogue preamp with built in phono stage, or a phono stage into a DAC that also has line level inputs, like something from Benchmark, or the miniDSP SHD. There is a lot more choice with the two box route.
The final choice would be a phono stage with digital out, into any DAC. Look at the parks audio puffin for an example.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
NB: Many of you will be tempted to cry ‘ditch the Stone Age rumble player’! I appreciate your sentiments but it’s not on the cards so I’m inevitably destined to try and get this egg out of the omelette. Sorry.

No Vinyl hate from me...I enjoy mine, I just don't pretend they sound better than...well...much of anything...but that's not the point of vinyl is it?

Have you considered the used market? Back in the day, a preamp with integrated phono preamp wasn't that unusual, since everyone had a TT back then and they weren't an afterthought, and I'd bet there are a few that might be worth considering.

Maybe @restorer-john wouldn't mind me tagging him in here for a suggestion.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The final choice would be a phono stage with digital out, into any DAC. Look at the parks audio puffin for an example.
I second that. The puffin and a DAC with volume control and sufficient number of inputs is all you need. Using the RME ADI-2 DAC also adds EQ to fix the biggest room problems and a headphone out, all at SOTA SQ.

Willem

Major Contributor
I use the RME ADI-2 DAC for precisely this purpose and could not be happier. My family would not let me ditch the turntable, so I added a Pro-ject Optical Box E Phono. Only MM, however.

OP
Phorize

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for all of these replies; a lot of options. I have a chord qutest dac already, great performance wise but limited features. Hadn’t really noticed the rme before, what a great device. I’m going to do a bit of digging and see what I can come with. I may find it easier to pick a standalone phono and separate preamp but I’ll see.

OP
Phorize

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I taken a first step towards the new regime by purchasing an RME ADI-2 and putting the chord onto eBay. Got fed up with trying to map out each step, sometimes we just have to say ‘the war starts here’.

ririt

I use the RME ADI-2 DAC for precisely this purpose and could not be happier. My family would not let me ditch the turntable, so I added a Pro-ject Optical Box E Phono. Only MM, however.
Which RME ADI-2 DAC are you using? The pro? It seems to me that the RME ADI-2 DAC Fs only have digital inputs...

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I taken a first step towards the new regime by purchasing an RME ADI-2 and putting the chord onto eBay. Got fed up with trying to map out each step, sometimes we just have to say ‘the war starts here’.

You might also considering cancelling the Adi-2 DAC FS and instead ordering an ADI-2 Pro FS, which will take both digital and analogue inputs. That would allow you to run a phono preamp into the Adi-2 Pro, which would then act as your preamp while still providing all the features and performance of the Adi-2 DAC FS.

In terms of phono preamps, the $299 Cambridge Audio Duo is the best Amir has measured IIRC.

OP
Phorize

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which RME ADI-2 DAC are you using? The pro? It seems to me that the RME ADI-2 DAC Fs only have digital inputs...

The home consumer market version. You are right about inputs. I still need to sort out turntable integration. I may well end up looking for a basic preamp and a new phono stage.

OP
Phorize

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might also considering cancelling the Adi-2 DAC FS and instead ordering an ADI-2 Pro FS, which will take both digital and analogue inputs. That would allow you to run a phono preamp into the Adi-2 Pro, which would then act as your preamp while still providing all the features and performance of the Adi-2 DAC FS.

In terms of phono preamps, the $299 Cambridge Audio Duo is the best Amir has measured IIRC.

You are on to something there-that would be problem solved. I’ve cancelled the order. For some reason the black version of the pro costs £400 more than the very pro looking grey and blue version. I’m going to dig around to see if I can find a better price on the black one.

OP
Phorize

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I’d imagine he’s feeding the dac into the line input on the project phono stage.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are on to something there-that would be problem solved. I’ve cancelled the order. For some reason the black version of the pro costs £400 more than the very pro looking grey and blue version. I’m going to dig around to see if I can find a better price on the black one.

Good to hear :) I really think this is going to be a much better option for you. Good luck finding a better price.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the same dilemma, not ready to push the button yet but really trying to minimise the number of boxes too. Have you considered the Pro-ject pre Box DS2 Digital? (reviewed well here). Phono stage + DAC and flexible in/out options for £700 GBP.
I'll probably end up with separate digital and analogue routes in order to accommodate a Topping DAC ... dithering!
Good luck :)

Top Bottom