• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Proper Metal music (no pony tails or choral crap)

digicidal

Major Contributor
I'm sure the ones on YT looking for new music recently have seen this. There's thousands of "reaction to..." videos featuring this particular song/video from Ukranian band Jinjer ("Pisces" off their 2016 album King of Everything). I don't know about royalty... but I'd definitely say that Tatiana Shmailyuk's vocal range is "everything". :p:eek:

And on the new album - they go full reggae on one song. :cool:

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Well, I had written them off. Figured the differences were irreconcilable. Wasn't interested without Sal Abruscato . I knew Keith/Mina was too irrational, but Mina now seems to have worked out most of that shit. I guess womanhood agrees with her. 4 more days to wait... :p Oh and once I heard Veronica Bellino on the drums... sorry Sal, but you're unnecessary.

Of course, it's still not River Runs Red... but it's close enough for me. :) (Certainly closer than "A Place Where There's No More Pain").
Since the 90's were a long time ago now... it's nostalgia time again.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
I also decided to check up on Sal, since I kinda dissed him in the last post... he's still doing just fine - and didn't care. ;)

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, I had written them off. Figured the differences were irreconcilable. Wasn't interested without Sal Abruscato . I knew Keith/Mina was too irrational, but Mina now seems to have worked out most of that shit. I guess womanhood agrees with her. 4 more days to wait... :p Oh and once I heard Veronica Bellino on the drums... sorry Sal, but you're unnecessary.

Of course, it's still not River Runs Red... but it's close enough for me. :) (Certainly closer than "A Place Where There's No More Pain").
Since the 90's were a long time ago now... it's nostalgia time again.
I remember seeing them open for Type O negative and thought they were good, but kind of lost interest after their first album. So the singer Keith is now known as Mina??? Can't say I like the new vocal style, prefer the more anguished baritone sound from the early days.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I don't understand most post 80's Metal. I mean... I acknowledge how albums like Vulgar Display of Power helped to revitalize the genre when it got steamrolled by the Grunge wave, but I much prefer listening to Cowboys From Hell or even Power Metal if I'm in the mood for Pantera.

In risk of violating the 'no hairspray!' rule a bit, here's a few of my 80's favorites:

digicidal

Major Contributor
I remember seeing them open for Type O negative and thought they were good, but kind of lost interest after their first album. So the singer Keith is now known as Mina??? Can't say I like the new vocal style, prefer the more anguished baritone sound from the early days.
You and most of the world. ;) Basically I think Keith was so wrapped up in depression and gender dysphoria that he kept pissing everyone off. Then he became Mina, made a bunch of solo records that apparently some people really liked (but I can't see the appeal mostly)... and then they pulled it back together again. Sal couldn't take it (or more likely didn't believe it) and left for good. I agree that the new vocals aren't the same, but I'm sure hormone replacement and being 50 doesn't help either. Regardless, I still think the new tracks are great from a musical standpoint - and RRR was such a great album that they'll always have a place in my collection. Just not a front-row place. :p

In risk of violating the 'no hairspray!' rule a bit, here's a few of my 80's favorites:

Man Testament was so good! I remember when Practice What You Preach came out... I played that cassette until it broke. They're still largely unchanged now actually... pretty amazing for old metal. Even Megadeth is just a pale shade of what they were... but I still buy every album just cuz.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
I love that bands like Testament, Overkill and Anthrax are still smashing out good music, and still tearing shit up live!!!

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
This year has been crazy so far, new Possessed, Sacred Reich, and Exhorder, too! This one caught me off guard when I heard of it a month or so ago. It's pretty damn good, too.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Speaking of Possessed
Always love the anti-hero (mostly) characters Peter Stormare plays in anything... this video is no exception. Although my favorite would still be "Alexei" in Bad Boys II, he looks perfectly creepy in this as the priest. Either they have a much bigger sales volume expected for this album, or he's a fan from back in the day, or a friend of one of the members.

Top Bottom