• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Proper Metal music (no pony tails or choral crap)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
If Black Sabbath isn't allowed in a discussion of metal... then the discussion is what should be disqualified... that would be as egregious as disqualifying Iron Maiden, AC/DC, or Led Zeppelin... although to be fair with Zep the 'hairspray' exclusion could come into play. ;)

I'll see your Iron Maiden and raise you some Molly Hatchet...
PSX_20190814_114250.jpg

digicidal

Major Contributor
That makes me feel like I'm in high school all over again. :D

KSTR

Major Contributor
And then we have this. "Dolphin Field" by the Meat Puppets from the EP "In a car". When I got this record (blind purchase via mail-order from the US) back in '82 it dwarfed everthing in my collection to "elevator music" (maybe except some freaky Free Jazz albums).
Should qualify as Thrash in the literal sense, doesn't it?

digicidal

Major Contributor
@KSTR Always loved Helmet... especially for road trips. I think my copy of Meantime saved my life a few times in college (keeping me awake). Second only to The Melvins or Tad possibly at the time. Meat Puppets, on the other hand, were always a love/hate thing. Similar for Dead Milkmen, Fugazi, Sonic Youth, Pixies, etc. I think the punk/thrash/noise crossover thing never resonated with me as much as it did with my wife (who likes almost all noise bands) - but she's younger too.

Now I'm almost totally absorbed in prog/fuzz/stoner metal. Although I never forget my thrash roots and make sure I take my daily dose of Megadeth and regular dietary supplements (Tool, Clutch, Sabbath, Slayer), I've been greedily sampling cuisine like:
or

Eirikur

I grew up on Hüsker Dü, so its good to see Bob Mould teach the younger generation how to play the electric:
... and for those missing out on it in the eighties:
Still have the compact cassette of this, the intensity blew me away at the time.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Yeah, Hüsker Dü... and all of those other magnificent bands on SST records. Like The Minutemen (Jazzcore), and St Vitus, an early doom/stoner classic. Scott Weinrichs later project, The Hidden Hand, also was great:

But then again, Black Sabbath still is the unequaled epic milestone in that genre....

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@KSTR Always loved Helmet... especially for road trips. I think my copy of Meantime saved my life a few times in college (keeping me awake). Second only to The Melvins or Tad possibly at the time. Meat Puppets, on the other hand, were always a love/hate thing. Similar for Dead Milkmen, Fugazi, Sonic Youth, Pixies, etc. I think the punk/thrash/noise crossover thing never resonated with me as much as it did with my wife (who likes almost all noise bands) - but she's younger too.

Now I'm almost totally absorbed in prog/fuzz/stoner metal. Although I never forget my thrash roots and make sure I take my daily dose of Megadeth and regular dietary supplements (Tool, Clutch, Sabbath, Slayer), I've been greedily sampling cuisine like:
or

I’m really enjoying Somali Yacht Club. Thanks :)

digicidal

Major Contributor
Try Dream Theater, Gojira, Mastodon, Mehuggah for start.

Yes to all... though Dream Theater wears on me after a little while TBH. It's like Queensryche but good (appologies to any that like them... just not my cup of tea). The other three are definitely on my constant rotation! Also love Avatar - similar but different - even to themselves depending on the album.
And on the topic of exotic audiophile cables (and other snake oil):
Have to go see them at the end of September.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I hadn't even realized that Epitaph Records was still alive and kicking (was big into Bad Religion back in high school though, and NOFX later on in college). Glad to see Brett's still in the scene - or at least behind it - and picking some winners:

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Within Temptation's album Enter is a guilty pleasure of mine, heavy with the great contrast between the guttural growls and Sharon's lovely vocals , plus she is an absolute beauty. None of their other stuff compares to Enter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom