• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Proper Metal music (no pony tails or choral crap)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
While I wasted my time reading Amir on Audiogon, I couldn't help to confirm the fact that we "don't listen to music".

These last week's I have found myself gravitating a lot around my northern neightbours: Bataille, Deathspell Omega, Flo Mounier, Pierre Monatte...

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RippedtoShreds-Jubian01.jpg

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
541753a.jpg

a3373655955_65.jpg

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a0489157289_10.jpg

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
In case someone has not seen this yet... (We Butter The Bread With Butter vs. Electric Callboy - Hypa Hypa)

Last edited:

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Lo-fi, but impressive drummer (Hunhau Mitnal - Cenotes)

bogart

Forum Donor
Lo-fi, but impressive drummer (Hunhau Mitnal - Cenotes)
Brutally lo-fi!

I'm trying to get into metal, and the lo-fi aesthetic is such a barrier to enjoyment for me. How do you get around it?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Just embrace it instead? Besides, metal has sooo many subgenres, and some of them value production quality more than others.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Brutally lo-fi!

I'm trying to get into metal, and the lo-fi aesthetic is such a barrier to enjoyment for me. How do you get around it?
I understand that. Maybe you get used to it over time. There are also good-sounding recordings that are perhaps more suitable for beginners.
I think in this case the muffled sound could also be intentional. Some like to maintain an underground image in the black metal scene, which is strengthened by this cellar sound.
It should probably not sound "beautiful" and radiant, but nasty and mean.
I don't think the example is too bad because at least it sounds not screechy or anything really unpleasant.
The worst example i know is this - i am not ready to enjoy this yet (Ruins of Beverast - Rain Upon the Impure)

But honestly, i like good sounding productions more (almost never high-end productions in this genre, and almost always low DR, but still nice). Something like:
(Igorrr - Polyphonic Rust)

(Zeal & Ardor - Götterdämmerung)

(Vredehammer - Aggressor)

(Entrails - The Soul Collector)

Or even this:
(Negura Bunget - Tesarul de Lumini)

(Moonsorrow - Huuto)

(Finntroll - Forsen)

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Brutally lo-fi!

It is part of the fun. This is one of my fave low fi examples and one of the most influential tracks of its genre:

RHO

Major Contributor
I've been a listening to metal for most my life and I never got the lo-fi thing. Every single one of those lo-fi records would be better if it didn't have the lo-fi sound.
For some it is acceptable and I can listen to it. But for most it ruins the record for me. The worst thing is that in many cases I can hear that it could've been a really good album if the band was just intelligent enough to make it sound right.

cybernaut667

yes, seen them live.. well good. i thought being a drummer you might like this. they are from chicago, the first album is great 'Enter' so start there. my next favorite album is 'station'
Saw Russian Circles one month ago here in Greece. Killer show.

Also from Chicago, Lord Mantis .
Kind of blackened sludge muddy and screamy but mostly mid tempo. The atmosphere is very claustrophobic

cybernaut667

Was there...:cool:
Aah the Wizaaahd !
One of my all time favorites.
First time I saw them was in '99 at the club Underworld in Camden town, London, with the original line up, still a trio at those days.
Warhorse from Colorado were the opening band.
(The other two members from electric wizard formed Ramesses, saw them at Roadburn festival also)
After some years, I think 2004 we organised a show for their first visit in Athens, it was a night full of purple haze and mushrooms
Liz was somewhat a newcomer and Justin Greaves was at the drums at that time, just a perfect drummer. Had seen him years before with Iron Monkey.
He went on to form Crippled black Phoenix,
another show my friends and I organized back at those days.
Saw the Wizard again at Roadburn 2005, excellent stuff, and 2-3 ( maybe..4?) times again in Greece and desert fest Berlin, they never disappoint.

And it's not even the band that I've seen most times:eek:

That would be Metallica or Monster Magnet

cybernaut667

Kreator - Extreme Aggression

The whole video was shot in Greece;)

Was at that show at Rodon club ..
Also Sepultura, Sodom, kind diamond, gamma ray, opeth, my dying bride, body count, kreator, katatonia.. you name it.
And a thousand bands more outside of metal, like the Ramones or the Stranglers and the Cramps for instance..

those were the days /m/

Last edited:
Top Bottom