• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Proper Metal music (no pony tails or choral crap)

RHO

Major Contributor
Soothing, triumphant, epic Summoning-worship that has enough distinguishing features to stand on its own. The clean vocal harmonies that pop up now and then are a great example. It's an acquired taste, but if you love that naieve synth sound and don't mind a drumcomputer, this is as good as it gets. A perfect mix of atmospheric black metal and medieval/fantasy dungeon synth.

There's a metal band called Caladan Brood?!?!:D
I should have guessed.
Hmmm, maybe there's one called Karsa Orlong or Anomandaris too. (will do a Google)

Edit: No Karso Orlong but a band named Toblakai does exist!!:D Also one called "Through the warren of shadow" Azath (their album is called "Through a warren of shadow"). I really need to get into this Malazan death metal scene.

Last edited:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There's a metal band called Caladan Brood?!?!:D
I should have guessed.
Hmmm, maybe there's one called Karsa Orlong or Anomandaris too. (will do a Google)
Normally it's Tolkien! You don't often see black metal bands inspired by Steven Erikson's Malazan books.

RHO

Major Contributor
Normally it's Tolkien! You don't often see black metal bands inspired by Steven Erikson's Malazan books.
I didn't even know there were any.
I just started reading "The crippled god" yesterday. I'm almost there. Just ~1300 pages to go. :)

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just released :
a4229333320_16.jpg

ManuCV

Haven't reviewed the 36 previous pages, but haven't seen much post-metal here. One of the heavy hitters of the genre (Cult Of Luna) just released a new album. Their best in several years, IMHO.

ManuCV

For the black metal lovers there, Wiegedood also released recently a beastly album. Really vile, hard hitting, bleak. Modern black metal at its best.
This album is really good and recommended if you need some adrenaline.

ManuCV

And last spam for today. Southern sludge metal favs Kylesa in an amazing but short live session. Rifftastic.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One of the best metal albums ever to come out of Ukraine, in my opinion.

Loss, longing, heritage, pride, triumph, defeat. It has it all. Goosebumps. Listening to this album while watching events unfold over there breaks my heart.

Slava Ukraini!

Top Bottom