• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Proper Metal music (no pony tails or choral crap)

digicidal

Major Contributor
Speaking of ladies (OK just one of them actually)... this managed to pull me away from the new Carcass album for a bit with this single.

Also picked this up... glad Chevelle is still keeping things fresh while maintaining signature sound as well.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't consider Marillion a "metal" band by any means, however I was quite surprised how heavy this is on a system with good bass (at least the Apple Music stream)

In other news, I like the new Dream Theater album A View from the Top of the World. I was not very familiar with the band until I had a chance to see them for a really good price in Riverside, California right near some in-laws. (I didn't know much about the band but hearing keyboardist Jordan Rudess talking on I think Eddie Trunk's show, and saying they were doing 2.5 hours, I thought "hey that will probably be a great tour.") I thought Distance Over Time was cool and the show was indeed cool. My in-laws, who had never even heard of the band, were also quite admiring.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just listened to this probably quite unknown band again and thought that they deserved more attention. Partly a mixture of Pink Floyd and Death Metal. Reminds sometimes also of Opeth, but without the whiny parts. Both of their self-funded albums are available for "name your price" on Bandcamp: https://odetosun.bandcamp.com/

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a4090213334_16.jpg

Excellent (kind of Post-) Black

RHO

Major Contributor

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Soothing, triumphant, epic Summoning-worship that has enough distinguishing features to stand on its own. The clean vocal harmonies that pop up now and then are a great example. It's an acquired taste, but if you love that naieve synth sound and don't mind a drumcomputer, this is as good as it gets. A perfect mix of atmospheric black metal and medieval/fantasy dungeon synth.

"The bones of beasts and the bones of kings
become dust in the wake of the hymn
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall
No more than a breath on the wind
"

Last edited:
Top Bottom