• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Proper Metal music (no pony tails or choral crap)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Okay, I clicked one fan remaster of a Metallica track, and now YouTube keeps suggesting them... and I just_can't_stop listening :eek:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Lately I've been listening to some of the modern bands that pay homage to 80's thrash. Innovation and creativity are often painfully lacking, but IMO a lot of it is perfectly entertaining if you just take it as good fun :)

Last edited:

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Lately I've been listening to some of the modern bands that pay homage to 80's thrash. Innovation and creativity are often painfully lacking, but IMO a lot of it is perfectly entertaining if you just take it as good fun :)
Those guys are good, as well as bands like Municipal Waste, War Bringer, Exmortus, Power Trip, Dust Bolt and others.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
There's definitely some good stuff to be found, but there's also a ton that sounds like watered down Metallica or something that's just a few fart jokes away from being the thrash version of Steel Panther.

My biggest "complaint" is that Im not a big fan of death metal vocals (or the Slayer style for that matter), but those seem to be the norm these days. Or maybe I'm just looking all the wrong places (or I'm being too picky).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 19122

Damn, lucky bugger! Closest I've ever come to seeing Hellhammer/Celtic Frost was Obituary covering Circle of the Tyrants, lol.
And it was actually the FIRST ever Hellhammer live show Warrior said on stage,it was the first of a 3 date rehearsal tour for their summer festival run.It was awesome,Nachtleben is tiny,200 people max and the stage is only half a meter off the ground so its an intimate venue.

D

Deleted member 19122

Those guys are good, as well as bands like Municipal Waste, War Bringer, Exmortus, Power Trip, Dust Bolt and others.
Ha years ago I went back and forth with the Exmortus guys as to the band name,they wanted us to change our spelling but we had legal dibs first! Here's my band...

eeeper

There's definitely some good stuff to be found, but there's also a ton that sounds like watered down Metallica or something that's just a few fart jokes away from being the thrash version of Steel Panther.

My biggest "complaint" is that Im not a big fan of death metal vocals (or the Slayer style for that matter), but those seem to be the norm these days. Or maybe I'm just looking all the wrong places (or I'm being too picky).

There are a few genres I don't like, death metal, opera, new country. First two merely because I can't understand the words. Growing up on Dolly Parton and Oak Ridge boys ruined new country for me. That said, only death metal I found that I liked has subtitles and a hilarious video.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
First two merely because I can't understand the words.

I mostly don't like guttural vocals because they seem silly to me but also devoid of self-irony. That combo makes it hard for me to keep a straight face. If I'm in the mood for silliness I prefer the flamboyant androgyny you get in a lot of 80's metal.

That said, only death metal I found that I liked has subtitles and a hilarious video.

This one's also a classic (not really proper death metal, but still fun):

eeeper

I mostly don't like guttural vocals because they seem silly to me but also devoid of self-irony. That combo makes it hard for me to keep a straight face. If I'm in the mood for silliness I prefer the flamboyant androgyny you get in a lot of 80's metal.

This one's also a classic (not really proper death metal, but still fun):
OMG. That is amazing.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Four years later, this is still probably the best thread title on ASR.

Hope this epic ponytail adequately conveys my admiration:

1602857108984.png

And here's a couple of my favourite metal tracks (def. no ponytails):

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Two incredible albums I'm quite into these days. Even more than usual, I mean.

Atrocity - (1992) Todessehnsucht
Quite hard to say if this is better than their legendary Hallucinations, but they certainly solved their muddy production issue.

Eyehategod - (1993) Take as Needed for Pain
Again, hard to compare with the amazing follow-up that is Dopesick, but the clearer and at the same time fuzzier production wins for me. It's a bit like comparing Swans' Filth with the Cop and Young God/Raping a Slave EPs.

MuseIcal

Wow! Great thread!

Maybe not as hard as what some of you are looking for, but the lyrics, musicianship, and videos are crazy good.

Red Fang

I grew up with eighties metal and punk; Saxon, Dio, Fates Warning, and Flotsam and Jetsam.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Because I mentioned Ten Masked Men and Steel Panther earlier in this thread I got to thinking about a local band that was popular in my childhood. They were regular guest stars in a children's show on public radio and got a hit single called "Children are Dumb and Ugly"(loosely translated) via that :D

Here's another one of their songs. It has silly lyrics... in Danish, and the music itself is lackluster, so I apologise in advance:
A bit more punk than metal, to be honest.

Top Bottom