• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Proper loudness correction: does it exist?

TSB

To correct for the non-linear response of our ears at different listening levels I assume we would need to have a level-calibrated playback system and some digital circuit applying the normalised ratio of the loudness curves at playback level vs reference recording level. At least for movies, where the reference level is usually known, this sounds doable.

Are there any such devices on the market?

Last edited:

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To correct for the non-linear response of our ears at different listening levels I assume we would need to have a level-calibrated playback system and some digital circuit applying the normalised ratio of the loudness curves at playback level vs reference recording level. At least for movies, where the reference level is usually known, this sounds doable.

Are there any such devices on the market?

Audyssey provides this with its 'dynamic EQ' .
It will make an approximation of the Fletcher–Munson curves depending on the volume setting.
Playback levels are level calibrated by Audyssey but you will always have the level calibration problem of the recording....
There is an offset of the reference level possible to correct for that to some extend.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RME FS Dacs. They allow you to choose the DB point below maximum volume that the loudness curve starts as well as the amount of maximum boost in the bass and treble. It implements over a 20 db range from start point. For example, I have my system calibrated to 80 db per channel (83db) at -20dbfs (per Bob Katz recommended studio monitor levels, see: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/establishing-project-studio-reference-monitoring-levels), which is -10db on my RME (I use volume leveling in Roon at -20dbfs to get my levels calibrated). I have my loudness set to start at -15db on the RME.

Last edited:

DeLub

Audyssey provides this with its 'dynamic EQ' .
It will make an approximation of the Fletcher–Munson curves depending on the volume setting.
Playback levels are level calibrated by Audyssey but you will always have the level calibration problem of the recording....
There is an offset of the reference level possible to correct for that to some extend.
And you can of course set the input level. However, I find that Audyssey increases the high frequencies way too much. It would sound a lot better if it would only increase the bass level (a bit).

OP
TSB

TSB

And you can of course set the input level. However, I find that Audyssey increases the high frequencies way too much. It would sound a lot better if it would only increase the bass level (a bit).
That might be because Fletcher-munson is for pure tones. Multiple tones in the same critical band (as with music) give the impression of higher loudness. Hence Fletcher-munson underestimates our sensitivity to high frequencies (where the critical bands are larger).

I know Toole favors providing user with a bass control - he thinks increasing treble is not needed at all.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
you will always have the level calibration problem of the recording....

This is correct. There are just some tracks or albums that don’t fit the mould well — where you have to disable loudness correction and make your own manual adjustment(s).

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Audyssey increases the high frequencies way too much.

I use JRiver and it barely adds any high frequency boost. There should be a way to customize or refine the EQ settings... but nope.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The later units with the Audyssey Editor app can indeed adjust what range you eq....

vavan

I know Toole favors providing user with a bass control - he thinks increasing treble is not needed at all
For the reference: "“Loudness” controls have been in audio equipment for decades. The attractive premise is that as the volume is reduced, automatic adjustments to frequency response compensate for the disproportionately reduced bass. For no obvious reason, some of them also boost the treble. This is wrong”

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the reference: "“Loudness” controls have been in audio equipment for decades. The attractive premise is that as the volume is reduced, automatic adjustments to frequency response compensate for the disproportionately reduced bass. For no obvious reason, some of them also boost the treble. This is wrong”

What, and lose all that "air"?

Hayabusa

If I look at the curves that Audyssey makes the higher frequencies are only slightly boosted:

1605406430893.png

Volume @20Hz @14Khz
0dB -1.1dB -0.7dB
-15dB +4.7dB +1.9dB
-25dB +9.8dB +3.5dB

If I look at the Fletcher Munson curves I see the same thing: more change in bass, but slight changes above 10Khz.

Last edited:

vavan

What, and lose all that "air"
Well, here's another quote related to loudness control: "It is important to note that no great changes are required at high frequencies. Many loudness compensation devices over the years have significantly boosted both bass and treble as sound level was reduced. In the author’s experience with such controls, sound quality was diminished—a result of misinterpreting the equal-loudness contours. With 10 or 20 phon reductions, essentially no high-frequency compensation is needed"

But there might be other reasons to use simple treble control and even full band auto eq solutions

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I look at the curves that Audyssey makes the higher frequencies are only slightly boosted:

View attachment 93619

Volume @20Hz @14Khz
0dB -1.1dB -0.7dB
-15dB +4.7dB +1.9dB
-25dB +9.8dB +3.5dB

If I look at the Fletcher Munson curves I see the same thing: more change in bass, but slight changes above 10Khz.

With the Audyssey Editor App of course you can limit the eq range....

Hayabusa

With the Audyssey Editor App of course you can limit the eq range....

I think it limits only the roomcorrection eq, not the dynamic eq.. But not 100% sure,when I have time I will verify this with a measurement...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it limits only the roomcorrection eq, not the dynamic eq.. But not 100% sure,when I have time I will verify this with a measurement...

I had a second thought along those lines after I posted....think I've read that elsewhere, especially now that you mention it, too.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What’s improved since the 70’s is that RME and others offer a calibrated level from where the loudness eq should apply.
Takes away half of the randomness of it . If looking forward to try in the future

For movies we can actually do it almost correct ? Afaik they mix movies at a reference level so audiences at cinema or a good ht should get a similar experience, it translates reallly well.

Sadly no reference level is used for music , we can’t know at which spl the engineers and artist had their desired result ?

Please continue to give more examples of products or software that do this .

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What’s improved since the 70’s is that RME and others offer a calibrated level from where the loudness eq should apply.
Takes away half of the randomness of it . If looking forward to try in the future

For movies we can actually do it almost correct ? Afaik they mix movies at a reference level so audiences at cinema or a good ht should get a similar experience, it translates reallly well.

Sadly no reference level is used for music , we can’t know at which spl the engineers and artist had their desired result ?

Please continue to give more examples of products or software that do this .

The Audyssey DynamicEQ is keyed to the movie reference but has an adjunct control called Reference Level Offset to adjust it somewhat (3 settings)

ElNino

Does Toole ever articulate why he thinks treble loudness adjustment is "wrong"? Unless I'm misreading it, in Figure 4.6, a few paragraphs after that quotation, he presents empirical evidence that listeners also seem to prefer a treble adjustment.

vavan

Does Toole ever articulate why he thinks treble loudness adjustment is "wrong"?
Per another quote I think he is against significant treble boost as experienced sound quality diminished

Top Bottom