• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Project Rectonics aka Kamu M1: Powered streaming speaker

MCH

Major Contributor
Thanks for the feedback. Agree with petg not being ideal in my limited experience so far.
However bear in mind that you don't need the whole enclosure to be above the Tg, any part of it going above the transition temperature (i.e. the parts closer to the amp modules) will become rubbery. I would be mindful of amp modules releasing a lot of heat no matter what your room temperature is. Maybe a good approach would be to print the parts exposed to higher temps in a different material and then fit them in.
I am finding there isn't really an ideal solution for the newbie doing electronics projects, either you go all in with abs nylon etc. or you need to live with the limitations of PLA and petg, bummer....
Thanks again for posting your work, it really looks amazing!

Last edited:
OP
K

KamuDesigns

There is a petg enclosure around the amp electronics. Normally it would not need an enclosure, but mine came with slightly bad seal so I just enclosed it since it was easier than taking the plate amp appart and fixing the seal around the power socket.

Reactions: MCH
OP
K

KamuDesigns

Too windy outside so here's some half assed gated measurements. Accurate to around 400hz. Rise in hf is intentional. The bmr sounded a bit dull when the fr was flat. This is due to hf dispersion which narrows from 120degree to 90degrees after 10k.

Attachments

• IMG_20230518_212039.jpg
    IMG_20230518_212039.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 59
OP
K

KamuDesigns

would love to see on and off axis data if you can get it, I made a little dolly with angles on it to simplify the process and it gets me nice stuff like this

Maybe on sunday if the weather stays calm.

I think I will make an adapter to mount the speaker to my telescope stand with some angle markers. Then I can keep mic stationary and rotate the speaker. I was thinking of measuring at 30 degree intervals 0,30&60degree.

OP
K

KamuDesigns

would love to see on and off axis data if you can get it, I made a little dolly with angles on it to simplify the process and it gets me nice stuff like this

I need to redo the measurements because I didn't put the wind hat on the mic , but you might get the idea. 0, 45 & 60 degree ungated w/ 1/12 smoothing.

Attachments

• IMG_20230524_212031.jpg
    IMG_20230524_212031.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20230524_212041.jpg
    IMG_20230524_212041.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20230524_212049.jpg
    IMG_20230524_212049.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 47

badspeakerdesigner

Looks pretty good, looks like a very wide speaker. Might reveal more to set the scale on the y axis to be more limited. All spl tab will hide phase as well, and if you wanna export an image you can hit the capture button where the little camera is to export a nice image of the data. If you know this and just wanted to do quick phone capture then ignore me.

I just "finished" up my own project (it's the atc lookalikes here), bet you're feeling that same sense of relief now that the thing is making sound. So many places where everything could go wrong and yet somehow in the end is all comes together. You've really raised the bar on what can be done with 3d printed materials and DIY speakers. Can't wait to see what your project inspires people to make. I'm definitely ordering a printer myself just because of this project.

OP
K

KamuDesigns

Looks pretty good, looks like a very wide speaker. Might reveal more to set the scale on the y axis to be more limited. All spl tab will hide phase as well, and if you wanna export an image you can hit the capture button where the little camera is to export a nice image of the data. If you know this and just wanted to do quick phone capture then ignore me.

I just "finished" up my own project (it's the atc lookalikes here), bet you're feeling that same sense of relief now that the thing is making sound. So many places where everything could go wrong and yet somehow in the end is all comes together. You've really raised the bar on what can be done with 3d printed materials and DIY speakers. Can't wait to see what your project inspires people to make. I'm definitely ordering a printer myself just because of this project.
Snapmaker j1 or bamboo lab carbon x1.

I suggest steering away from big printers since they need to be industrial quality, enclosed and with heated chamber to be actually usefull.

I have sub par machinery for doing speakers, but they will provide usable parts alongside with some frustration.

Top Bottom