• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Project Pre Box S2 DAC & Headphone Amp Review

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the headphone out is not good near max volume, does this apply also to the rca-out?
No. This is the performance at max output voltage:
index.php

Jhify

If the headphone out is not good near max volume, does this apply also to the rca-out? Are these outputs married in some way?

honestly I have never pushed the volume past -12db where the distortion start rising either way.

Jhify

Graphs say it’s the dac section so RCAs out. But you’ll never hear any distortion coming out of this it is bothering on an engineering point of view only. You should base your purchase on its features and if it fits your needs and use case. Sonically it sounds a bit (more lush and warm) or (less detailed and exiting), depending on subjective preferences and point of view than other Dacs or audio interfaces I have. It doesn’t mean it lacks details it means there’s less treble emphasis. Headphones output is great for 90% headphones on the market and will be severely lacking for only 5%.
I’d say if you intend to use it as a desktop preamp for a plug and play use with a laptop it’s a great device because it has the best isolation from noisy usb you can hope for. If you intend to use it as a dac only you want to forget about in a full size hifi set up you should look somewhere else only because you can’t turn off the screen while it is powered. Hope this helps.

Jhify

So the distortion we see with headphone output affects rca-out too?

and when I say there’s sonic difference it is barely discernable. You’ll hear it in direct switching A/B comparison and it’s 2/3%. Your speakers or headphones are maybe 99% responsible for the sonic presentation of your music (if it has an appropriate matching amplification)

vhild§

and when I say there’s sonic difference it is barely discernable. You’ll hear it in direct switching A/B comparison and it’s 2/3%. Your speakers or headphones are maybe 99% responsible for the sonic presentation of your music (if it has an appropriate matching amplification)
I bought the Head Box S2 Digital, which I believe is quite close to the Pre Box in performance. This I feed at 0db to Pro Ject Head Box S2 which gives me more power. It sounds great, I’ll stop worrying.
…or perhaps add Topping linear power supply…

Jhify

I bought the Head Box S2 Digital, which I believe is quite close to the Pre Box in performance. This I feed at 0db to Pro Ject Head Box S2 which gives me more power. It sounds great, I’ll stop worrying.
…or perhaps add Topping linear power supply…

Good enjoy !
unless you have a dirty power to feed your devices you’ll most likely won’t hear any differences with the linear power supply. But you can try and send back for a refund if it’s not needed :)

vhild§

Good enjoy !
unless you have a dirty power to feed your devices you’ll most likely won’t hear any differences with the linear power supply. But you can try and send back for a refund if it’s not needed :)
Using iPhone charger at the moment - can’t hear any hiss etc. Topping LPS just looks so cool it MUST sound great :-D

Jhify

Using iPhone charger at the moment - can’t hear any hiss etc. Topping LPS just looks so cool it MUST sound great :-D

I believe it used to be a thing back in the days when switching power supply were noisy but I’m to young for to know that. I have never heard any improved with power supply. But I live in new houses and buildings and I keep noisy electric devices far from the music. Devices in the future will most likely be all equipped with switching power supplies and class d amp anyway since the technology has improved so much and will keep getting better.

steve59

Major Contributor
Just ordered one to bypass the dac in my hegel h360 and i'm really interested to hear if there's an audible improvement. The h360 isn't mqa compatible but the roon nucleus is so the differences will only be above 24/96. Looking at what so many companies are charging for stand alone dac's I considered this a bargain. listening will tell.

steve59

Major Contributor
To comment on dropouts streaming tidal. Using a PC or Mac dropouts were more trouble than it was worth, A dedicated streamer solved the issue.

A pre box s2 digital arrived a few hours ago and I started using it in place of the built in dac in the hegel h360. The hegel has 1 analog and 1 ht bypass so I thought I’d use the variable output selection to control volume, smart right? Not so much. Every song returns to 100 and if the song is a high Rez MQA track adjusting the volume will default to 16/44. Still I can use the project remote which I am doing. Learning curve going on here and I would appreciate any suggestions.
As to the included power supply the manual says don’t use one if connected by usb. Can get noisy.

Jhify

To comment on dropouts streaming tidal. Using a PC or Mac dropouts were more trouble than it was worth, A dedicated streamer solved the issue.

A pre box s2 digital arrived a few hours ago and I started using it in place of the built in dac in the hegel h360. The hegel has 1 analog and 1 ht bypass so I thought I’d use the variable output selection to control volume, smart right? Not so much. Every song returns to 100 and if the song is a high Rez MQA track adjusting the volume will default to 16/44. Still I can use the project remote which I am doing. Learning curve going on here and I would appreciate any suggestions.
As to the included power supply the manual says don’t use one if connected by usb. Can get noisy.
I can try to help.
First of all you can let tidal do the first unfold and dropouts will no longer be an issue. Quality wise it is the exact same.
The pre box has a top tier usb isolation and you don't need a power supply with usb. The background noise will always be pitch black way beyond earring threshold.

Then I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that you use the volume control of the tidal software ? If so then yes from what I remember you need to keep the software volume at max output to passthrough mqa data. Connected with usb the pre box remote will do play/pause skip/rewind on the software.

Long story short I suggest making sure the pre box has the latest software, using usb with a computer, letting tidal do the first unfold and use the remote to control the volume using the HT bypass input of you amp which is most likely less noisy.

This off topic but MQA has never prove to bring any value on the table to my ears and if it is true that mixes can be engineered/mastered differently it has always be a hit and miss for me. In the end I switched to apple music that bring the same value for half the money and actually gives back more royalties to the artists.

Enjoy your music.

steve59

Major Contributor
I updated the software as soon as I got it. Settled on using the USB input so I could get the highest fidelity and secause my integrated only has a fixed analog input left I use the variable output on the s2 with the remote. After trying to use roon software to control the volume I found even turning the volume down from the 100 default took it out of MQA.

So couple weeks in and for me it’s a keeper. MQA is a much quieter background than 16/44 streaming and its easy to hear. Can’t comment on the headphone jack or power supply as I haven’t used either. The screen is so small and with its black background isn’t distracting at all. For non mqa I have the filter set to linear apodising but I’ll experiment. Two thumbs up.

Artzox

Did someone having the Project switch to something like a topping e30. I am contemplating getting a used s2 with warranty or a new e30 ii when available. Only interested in the DAC part as I will be using the RCAs going to a preamp.
Sound is very subjective, but I prefer rounded holographic sound to ultra-detailed (if I have to choose one or the other).

Jhify

Did someone having the Project switch to something like a topping e30. I am contemplating getting a used s2 with warranty or a new e30 ii when available. Only interested in the DAC part as I will be using the RCAs going to a preamp.
Sound is very subjective, but I prefer rounded holographic sound to ultra-detailed (if I have to choose one or the other).

Had the D50 and S2 and was able to make direct A/B comparaison with a switch. S2 is a tiny bit rolled off in the upper range which makes it smoother. S2 can bit a good complement with speakers or headphones that are to sharp in the highs. But in a blind test without direct A/B, it would have been difficult to tell one apart of the other. IMO Dacs have evolved so much the last decade they now motly all sound the same: True to the source. I guess taking what's most convenient is the smartest move.
S2 is meant to be used with a computer and plug via USB and has very good insulation for it. You'll never hear your screen or graphics card trough it. But it doesn't have an ON/OFF switch which can be a bummer if you never turn off your computer.
Never had the E30 but it's half the price. (Made in China, S2 is made in europe...)

Artzox

Had the D50 and S2 and was able to make direct A/B comparaison with a switch. S2 is a tiny bit rolled off in the upper range which makes it smoother. S2 can bit a good complement with speakers or headphones that are to sharp in the highs. But in a blind test without direct A/B, it would have been difficult to tell one apart of the other. IMO Dacs have evolved so much the last decade they now motly all sound the same: True to the source. I guess taking what's most convenient is the smartest move.
S2 is meant to be used with a computer and plug via USB and has very good insulation for it. You'll never hear your screen or graphics card trough it. But it doesn't have an ON/OFF switch which can be a bummer if you never turn off your computer.
Never had the E30 but it's half the price. (Made in China, S2 is made in europe...)
Thanks for the info.
D50 is also made in China, both D50 and E30 are made by Topping.
As far the Project is concerned I have had problems with their products before, thankfully covered by warranty.
I am integrating the DAC into the hifi chain, so a PC working 24/7 is not an issue and besides, E30 can be powered via external power as opposed to usb-only.
The fact that they are close enough (transparent) means that I am not going to worry too much about the sound signature. My speakers are very reveling but I will be plugging a tube preamp.
To be honest I kind of miss the days when you could just walk into a store and test some gear, even though it will not sound the same in your system.

Jhify

Thanks for the info.
D50 is also made in China, both D50 and E30 are made by Topping.
As far the Project is concerned I have had problems with their products before, thankfully covered by warranty.
I am integrating the DAC into the hifi chain, so a PC working 24/7 is not an issue and besides, E30 can be powered via external power as opposed to usb-only.
The fact that they are close enough (transparent) means that I am not going to worry too much about the sound signature. My speakers are very reveling but I will be plugging a tube preamp.
To be honest I kind of miss the days when you could just walk into a store and test some gear, even though it will not sound the same in your system.

Then S2 would be a problem with the oled screen stays always on. Go for topping. Maybe you can't try it out in store but we should be somewhat glad that for 150$ you can't get pristine performance that would cost thousands 20 years ago. I was pointing out the S2 is made in Europe cause it explains a lot for the price tag jump. When I can afford it I always try to buy as close as possible from my country. Unfortunately soon most of all the electronics of the world will come from asia.

steabert

I've had the S2 for about 2 years and the display has deteriorated, colors are gone from parts of the display.

It plays OK, but definitely lacking in power, I could not use it with my HD650. Positive is that it can be powered with only USB, so mostly for those wanting a preamp for a computer to powered desktop speakers. It looks and feels great.

In my stereo system I switched to a DX3 Pro+ as preamp to my XTZ a2-300, with a display that turns of automatically and hopefully of better quality compared to the S2 display.

I try to support local companies first, but the offerings in Europe are catered to expensive large systems. Only Project has compact things, and the lack of power for my headphones was a bit disappointing. If western companies keep peddling nonsensical products, they're bound to lose much of their business to China. Luckily there are still some in the USA like schiit that try to offer compact affordable stuff.

BeeKay

The Pre Box S2 has two shortcomings. Running it without decent external power supply for sure compromises SQ a lot. The headphone amp is disappointing. I added a Topping L30II which is so much better that any comparison is a needless effort.

If only John Westlake had added a power switch.

Top Bottom