• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Project Pre Box S2 DAC & Headphone Amp Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did it get sent to you in the original box BTW? Do you still have the S2?
No, it was sent without it which made shipping it back to him a lot cheaper. :)

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
No, it was sent without it which made shipping it back to him a lot cheaper. :)
That's surprising because the box is not large (it's even got a hanger on it to hang from a display rod, or whatever they are called) and it would hard to pack it in something smaller with the same protection.

slingshot

I have had the S2 for 2 ½ years. I think it is an amazing unit. First it is tiny and easy to move around. It has a preamp and remote control so I have been using it primarily in my main system driving a First Watts SIT-3 amp and Omega speakers.

Lately I have been using it in my home office. I listen to it via Roon software through my Night Owl headphones. I have thousands of 256 DSD tracks that I converted from ISO files because Roon will not play them. I listen to them in Native DSD and they sound great at normal to high listening levels. However, I am planning on buying some more resolving headphones.

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Can't imagine something this expensive would be on retailer display. Assuming any retailer displays are left to hang it on!
I've seen quite a few expensive items on display like that. BTW on the bottom of the S2 case is a label with SN, barcode, and "Made in Slovakia". No label on the one you have?

Attachments

• IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 239

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I have had the S2 for 2 ½ years. I think it is an amazing unit. First it is tiny and easy to move around. It has a preamp and remote control so I have been using it primarily in my main system driving a First Watts SIT-3 amp and Omega speakers.

Lately I have been using it in my home office. I listen to it via Roon software through my Night Owl headphones. I have thousands of 256 DSD tracks that I converted from ISO files because Roon will not play them. I listen to them in Native DSD and they sound great at normal to high listening levels. However, I am planning on buying some more resolving headphones.
I normally use it just as a DAC (volume at 0 dB) feeding Linn Kolektor > Klout > Isobariks, but did try it out as a preamp directly into the Klout. Worked very well, but the remote is not that easy to use so I reverted to having the extra box in the chain.

slingshot

What are the problems you are having with the remote? I have the aluminum one. Mostly I just use it for volume control and muting.

dropbear

I could be wrong but AFAIK Pro-Ject hardware is made in Slovakia or the Czech Republic (headquarters are in Vienna). I'll check S2 tomorrow as I'm using it right now in the main system.

Edit: the box says "Made in Slovakia".
Where the hell? I can just hardly think of any OEM here, cool!

And just by the way, we are not Eastern Europe, our East border is the very border with Eastern Europe countries (Ukraine in our case). I don't know why I am picking on this, it is that I never liked how "Eastern Europe" sounds.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
What are the problems you are having with the remote? I have the aluminum one. Mostly I just use it for volume control and muting.
That would be it. The included tiny one is really hard work. I'd have gone for the alu one for sensible money but £75? That buys some real hardware.

If only they had adopted the Apple remote, as some others have. A masterpiece of minimalist functional design.

slingshot

Yes, I bought it from some company in the U.K. I figure I can get more money if I sell it. Also waiting for a linear power supply from China.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Where the hell? I can just hardly think of any OEM here, cool!

And just by the way, we are not Eastern Europe, our East border is the very border with Eastern Europe countries (Ukraine in our case). I don't know why I am picking on this, it is that I never liked how "Eastern Europe" sounds.
Like most old folks, I remember the Iron Curtain and Berlin Wall, so that sort of defined the West/East Europe division. I really don't know where that should be now. How much of the former USSR is now in Europe or in Asia? That's an artificial division anyway, not based on physical geography.

Last edited:

slingshot

It's their own. Purchased it from Analogue Seduction a few weeks ago. Used it for the first time yesterday.

Last edited:

luisma

Forum Donor
I have this DAC, year and a half IIRC, awesome out of the park design by John Westlake, from what I read it seems Project is not using John anymore (what a shame) if you look inside the DAC you will see perfect geometry design separating specific components etc. there was even a new firmware taking the DAC to new heights that John announced at pinkfishmedia but he went silent, I guess probably because legal agreements with Project
I use the DAC with separate power and it is really amazing sound for the money, I know some other DACs are cheaper and measure better and don't doubt they are as good.
Thanks Amir for the review, just confirms my former opinion on this DAC, I admire John's work too.

slingshot

Yes, I read there was new firmware but it has never been released. I am waiting for my linear power supply; it should arrive next week.

Veri

Master Contributor
Yes, I read there was new firmware but it has never been released. I am waiting for my linear power supply; it should arrive next week.
Amir proved 2-3 times an LPS has no audible effect; at most it cleans up ultrasonics way above audible hearing range.

Just saying, try not to waste too much money..

luisma

Forum Donor
What are you using an smps to power through the separate port or you are powering through the USB port directly?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I have this DAC, year and a half IIRC, awesome out of the park design by John Westlake, from what I read it seems Project is not using John anymore (what a shame) if you look inside the DAC you will see perfect geometry design separating specific components etc. there was even a new firmware taking the DAC to new heights that John announced at pinkfishmedia but he went silent, I guess probably because legal agreements with Project
I use the DAC with separate power and it is really amazing sound for the money, I know some other DACs are cheaper and measure better and don't doubt they are as good.
Thanks Amir for the review, just confirms my former opinion on this DAC, I admire John's work too.
Note that Amir does not recommend this box, but I'm pleased with mine, including the headphone amp. Do you use the headphone amp?

Do you find an audible difference with different power sources? I use mine with its own power adapter, but that's only because it doesn't get enough power via USB from the RPI I use it with.

slingshot

Yes, I am new to this site and I think I saw his analysis after I ordered it. It cost about $80 from China. Pro-Ject's LPS costs $250. I will probably sell it and buy a Topping D90 with the 4499 chip. I want to compare them after I buy the D90.

Last edited:
Top Bottom