• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Production/Mixing/Mastering Sub-Forum?

Ponyboy

Hi,

I just mentioned this idea in another post so figured I would do the same here. Perhaps this doesn't fit quite within the spirit of the site but I think the potential could be significant. Many other sites cater to this topic (KVR/Gearspace) but I find them filled with a lot of audio myths, assumptions and fuzzy language.

It would be amazing to see gear discussion from the lens of making the music that everyone here listens to. Reviews, analysis and discussion that follows the guidelines on this site would really contribute to the scene in a way that doesn't easily occur on these other sites. Yes there's some scientific discussions over there, but it's mostly "this new plugin sounds just like the Neve EQ, silky highs, buttery smooth low end blah blah". Or this new Antelope sounds so much better than the UAD Apollo, or the converters in this RME are way too bright...

For example, aliasing of plugins is a hot topic. How close are the plugins to the hardware they're emulating? Maybe Amir has a closet of vintage gear and synths that he's been dying to compare to the likes of Softube, Kush and U-He.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I like the idea of this, especially for measuring how gear actually responds. And, hopefully, some audiophiles will finally figure out how mixing actually works.

I'd like to see a way to test microphones, but for the life of me I can't think of a way outside of an anechoic chamber doing a "reverse spinorama" kinda deal.

Saidera

I wholeheartedly support the establishment of a:

Production/Mixing/Mastering Sub-Forum​

Top Bottom