• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Product Overview: Revel F35

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm glad you posted this Aprude51 - i'm looking and starting to audition ~$2.5k floorstanding speakers as well, and am looking at:

Revel F36
Revel F206 (alot more then $2.5k)
PSB Imagine T
Focal Aria 926 (again more hten $2.5k)
Monitor Audio silver 300
Paradigm 75f

People really seem to love Revels here and the F206 has had great reviews (most reviews i've seen of the F35/36 seem to be in a 5.1 theater setup, but i'll be using them for music). I have Rega Brio R (latest gen) amp, a Topping D50 & attached Mac Mini, a Rega RP3 turntable & a REL subwoofer (I'll be replacing the NHT M5's i'm using now).

Any suggestions anyone? I auditioned B&W speakers at Magnolia, but really only liked the 800 series (the 804D3), the 7xx and 6xx didn't do anything for me, and the 804D3 was like $8500. My living room is about the same size (12x10) as yours... i wish i could find a pair of F35 for $1100 tho, you got a great deal!

B&W's have a bump in the treble. You might like them, you might not.

accessories4less has deals on Focal speakers. Check A&B TV in Austin TX for deals on Revel.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm glad you posted this Aprude51 - i'm looking and starting to audition ~$2.5k floorstanding speakers as well, and am looking at:

Revel F36
Revel F206 (alot more then $2.5k)
PSB Imagine T
Focal Aria 926 (again more hten $2.5k)
Monitor Audio silver 300
Paradigm 75f

People really seem to love Revels here and the F206 has had great reviews (most reviews i've seen of the F35/36 seem to be in a 5.1 theater setup, but i'll be using them for music). I have Rega Brio R (latest gen) amp, a Topping D50 & attached Mac Mini, a Rega RP3 turntable & a REL subwoofer (I'll be replacing the NHT M5's i'm using now).

Any suggestions anyone? I auditioned B&W speakers at Magnolia, but really only liked the 800 series (the 804D3), the 7xx and 6xx didn't do anything for me, and the 804D3 was like $8500. My living room is about the same size (12x10) as yours... i wish i could find a pair of F35 for $1100 tho, you got a great deal!

I'd look for the F206 or F208 2nd hand. Recent enough it is no problem, and it keeps you inside your $2500 budget. Though you'll have to find a real deal on F208s to get them for that.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  • Appearance: The finish, which Revel describe as "automotive grade" is impressive and looks much better in person than in photos. That, combined with the curved sides, gives the F35 a very refined look.[/QUOTE

You won't get that from an active pro monitor, and it's an important factor when you're not hiding the speakers.

When the Concerta3 came out I saw Kevin Voecks demo a pair of F36 along with a pair of gloss black Salon2's. Yes, the Salon's finish looked a little richer and more lustrous. However, the delta in finish quality was much less than the delta in price. The F36 looked really nice.

OP
Aprude51

Aprude51

You won't get that from an active pro monitor, and it's an important factor when you're not hiding the speakers.

When the Concerta3 came out I saw Kevin Voecks demo a pair of F36 along with a pair of gloss black Salon2's. Yes, the Salon's finish looked a little richer and more lustrous. However, the delta in finish quality was much less than the delta in price. The F36 looked really nice.

I agree 100% - that was a big factor in my purchase decision. Aside from my couch, the speakers are the most prominent piece of furniture in my living room :)

sfdoddsy

For the money you’ve paid, and your desire for full range speakers, I’m not sure you could do better with active studio monitors.

I’ve been trying out various ‘well-designed’ speakers lately and they tend to sound more alike than different. As they should if you agree with the science.

I have KEF R3s, and compared them to Revel M20s from 15 years ago. Both have excellent measurements, and both sound very similar.

In contrast the Sonus Faber and PMCs I’ve tried sound, and measure, very differently.

Your Revels will likely play deeper than any equivalent $1100 studio monitor. 3 way floor-standing monitors tend be very very pricey. They should sound very similar above that.

Personally, If you like Revel, I’d get the M106 and a couple of subs, but that’s room and aethetics thing.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a shame the gems are so damn expensive. Seem like an ideal speaker for a lot of people. KEF r3 are another nice standmount 3 way, but they're 2500 with stands.

If you are willing to build a kit (with included cabinets), the Parts Express Solistice would probably best many of the speakers you're looking at for considerably less money.

2.5 way transmission line with state of the art drivers designed by one of the best regarded diy designers (who also does designs for Salk).

https://www.parts-express.com/solstice-mltl-reference-tower-speaker-kit--300-708
For $1050 you get four $244 midwoofers made by morel...guarantee no speaker company is offering that kind of value.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes, the Salon's finish looked a little richer and more lustrous. However, the delta in finish quality was much less than the delta in price.
I do agree that the delta in finish quality is much less than the delta in price but the latter is the sum of other variables. The Ultima line also benefits from more advanced drivers (diaphragm materials, magnet type/size, etc.), more advanced construction (curved/formed cabinets and better front panel form) and, imho, superior styling. Just saying.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do agree that the delta in finish quality is much less than the delta in price but the latter is the sum of other variables. The Ultima line also benefits from more advanced drivers (diaphragm materials, magnet type/size, etc.), more advanced construction (curved/formed cabinets and better front panel form) and, imho, superior styling. Just saying.

Agreed. I was only commenting on the the physical appearance of the finish. Even then it was somewhat incomplete: some finishes are more durable over time than others.

nhunt

My objectivist take on my Revel F206s: They sure do have great on axis and off axis frequency response measurements .

My subjectivist take on my Revel F206s: You would have to pry them from my cold, dead hands to get me to give them up

:)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
My objectivist take on my Revel F206s: They sure do have great on axis and off axis frequency response measurements .

My subjectivist take on my Revel F206s: You would have to pry them from my cold, dead hands to get me to give them up

:)
D'accord. I bought a pair to use as L/R surround speakers but they are surprisingly good and good-looking.

thumbslapper

I tested B&W 6, 7, and 8 series at Magnolia - the 6's meh, 7's were ok (not for the price), and I liked the 804-D3 but its $9k/pair(!).

I tested Triangle Antal EZ (pretty even sounding, i liked them, but they lacked some excitement) , Dynaudio Excite X34 (eh kinda boxey), and PST Imagine T2 (really wanted to like them but the bass was too much - i play Radioheads "Present Tense" which has a low drum part that was overwhelming. There are port foam plugs which are supposed to tame the low end which were not in. everything else on the speaker sounded great tho).

Then today I tested the Revel F206's - they sounded amazing. great imaging and space, very even but still exciting to listen to, good but not boomy low end. Unfort they did not have the F35 or F36 - they said they carried it for a bit but people just ended up buying F206's. btw I didnt' realize how big a jump it is from a F206 to F208 - the F208's are big speakers (& $10k/pair).

I do still have to listen to Monitor Audio Silver 300's, but i'm trying to figure out how to justify going $1k above my self-imposed $2.5k limit 'cause i'm not sure I would be happy with any other speaker...

btw 2 of the 3 places I visited only had streaming Apple music or Spotify to test with - the 3rd had Tidal. How can any hifi shop be auditioning equipment with compressed music is beyond me - the equipment they are selling should instantly show the difference, and if i'm trying to compare soundstage across different sets of speakers playing a .aac or mp3 is going to collapse it, high end is going to suffer, reverb trails will disappear... it makes me irrationally angry.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
btw I didnt' realize how big a jump it is from a F206 to F208 - the F208's are big speakers (& $10k/pair).
The f208 are $5k/pair. It is the f228Be that are $10k/pair.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I tested B&W 6, 7, and 8 series at Magnolia - the 6's meh, 7's were ok (not for the price), and I liked the 804-D3 but its $9k/pair(!).

I tested Triangle Antal EZ (pretty even sounding, i liked them, but they lacked some excitement) , Dynaudio Excite X34 (eh kinda boxey), and PST Imagine T2 (really wanted to like them but the bass was too much - i play Radioheads "Present Tense" which has a low drum part that was overwhelming. There are port foam plugs which are supposed to tame the low end which were not in. everything else on the speaker sounded great tho).

Then today I tested the Revel F206's - they sounded amazing. great imaging and space, very even but still exciting to listen to, good but not boomy low end. Unfort they did not have the F35 or F36 - they said they carried it for a bit but people just ended up buying F206's. btw I didnt' realize how big a jump it is from a F206 to F208 - the F208's are big speakers (& $10k/pair).

I do still have to listen to Monitor Audio Silver 300's, but i'm trying to figure out how to justify going $1k above my self-imposed $2.5k limit 'cause i'm not sure I would be happy with any other speaker...

btw 2 of the 3 places I visited only had streaming Apple music or Spotify to test with - the 3rd had Tidal. How can any hifi shop be auditioning equipment with compressed music is beyond me - the equipment they are selling should instantly show the difference, and if i'm trying to compare soundstage across different sets of speakers playing a .aac or mp3 is going to collapse it, high end is going to suffer, reverb trails will disappear... it makes me irrationally angry.

In case it helps(and you haven't already made a purchase...its been 3 months), I got my Revel F36 brand new from a dealer for $1400. Was offered F206 for $2100 with a special sale...normally would have been about $2500. I preferred the F36....aesthetics, sensitivity, etc regardless of price or the F206's higher tier classification......I'm not convinced of this when crossed to good subs. The only real advantage I saw of the F206 was three way(is it an advantage if it doesn't measure/sound better?), but substantially lower sensitivity with the same power handling and worse aesthetics ruled it out for me.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
If you call dealers directly a good deal can be negotiated if patient. Sometimes have to wait and call again and again. Floor models pop up.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you call dealers directly a good deal can be negotiated if patient. Sometimes have to wait and call again and again. Floor models pop up.
This wasn't the case for me. I was given a very good deal right off the bat. The only downside is they don't keep many(any?) in stock so no demos, but pricing is very competitive.

Top Bottom