• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Product measurement.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do like this site I must say.:)
Reading through the various reviews done by amirm, I can't help thinking that many of the manufactures don't measure the performance of the products they put on the market.
Or, do they just not care and rely on branding and marketing to sell under performing equipment?
How for example is it possible for a relatively small companies like JDS Labs, Khadas and others to produce products that outperform products from some of the big names in audio, including what some consider state of the art products at a fraction of the cost?

Reactions: trl

DuxServit

Forum Donor
I do like this site I must say.:)
Reading through the various reviews done by amirm, I can't help thinking that many of the manufactures don't measure the performance of the products they put on the market.
Or, do they just not care and rely on branding and marketing to sell under performing equipment
10% engineering, 90% marketing :facepalm:

How for example is it possible for a relatively small companies like JDS Labs, Khadas and others to produce products that outperform products from some of the big names in audio, including what some consider state of the art products at a fraction of the cost?

Good engineering ;) plus sites like ASR that report on good measurements.

I’ve got to believe that ASR had a positive influence on the sale of the THX AAA789 amplifier on Massdrop. It’s received over 13,000 14,000 requests as of this week.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-thx-aaa-789-linear-amplifier

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
10% engineering, 90% marketing :facepalm:

I have a somewhat limited experience with industrial manufacturing, but the bit I have tells me that this is true for the vast majority of consumer electronics (and a lot of the "pro" stuff too). I think the biggest difference is what those measly 10% are being used for. Useful measurements, (smug) sighted tests, or a sensible mix of the two.

From what I can tell many of the high-end audio manufacturers take the expression "you hear with your ears, not with your measuring instruments" and bend it into some twisted proof of audio electronics designs being somehow "above" measurements. Take a handful of typologies that are favored among 'audiophiles', build them up using components that these 'audiophiles' consider superior (regardless of implementation), maybe let a cage full of monkeys throw some components at the PCB and hope something sticks and then have a listen. If it happens have a nice "color", market it as something magical that was made without those silly non-ear measurements.

That's not really engineering :rolleyes:

My only beef with it though is that it's being presented as such.

Audio reproduction is mostly an illusion, but that doesn't imply that anything goes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom