• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Product idea? All-in-one with DAC+HP Amp+ADC+Measurement Mic+Auto-Calibration/EQ+HP Stand

VariousArtists

This is probably overly simplistic and very hard to do properly, but would anyone be interested in an all-in-one with the following features? I thought it would be cool after seeing the miniDSP EARS and the Marquis (which scares me).

1. DAC
2. HP Amp
3. ADC
4. 2 measurement microphones in a fixture that looks like a head with 2 ears
5. EQ software that is either built-in or installed on a PC
6. A headphone stand that comes naturally because of (4)

Because it's the same device that both controls the input (and hence knows all the input levels/parameters) and can measure the HP outputs, the measurement process could be completely automated, which means that the calibration could also be completely automated.

I would totally understand that HP measurement is very fixture-dependent and could be unreliable for tuning to a target curve, but I am hoping that it could still be used as a starting point, and in the worst case, such a device could still be useful to fix simpler problems like overall channel imbalance with minimal effort, and it would be pretty cool and super convenient to have something like this for home use in a totally non-professional setting.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Feasible but also a moonshot of an idea. All of this would be past kilobuck territory for pricing, aside from the fact that the design would be challenging to accomodate all the separate pieces into a single chassis.

OP
V

VariousArtists

Feasible but also a moonshot of an idea. All of this would be past kilobuck territory for pricing, aside from the fact that the design would be challenging to accomodate all the separate pieces into a single chassis.
Agreed that it will be a design challenge, with the software/firmware probably ending up costing more than the hardware considering the effort involved to integrate all the different parts.

As separates though, a set-up that does all 6 is surprisingly affordable (considering the price of some professional equipment):

(1)+(2): Topping DX3 Pro+, $199
(3)+(4)+(6): miniDSP EARS, $240
(5): https://www.roomeqwizard.com/, Equalizer APO + Peace, free for non-commercial use

All for less than $500, and maybe a few days/weeks of coding to glue everything together. Of course the measurements might not be very accurate but I think all the pieces of the puzzle are there.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Top Bottom