• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Processor with XLR worth it?

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Greetings from Berlin,

in my current ongoing journey to a more modular setup for my living room system I am looking for a preamp or processor with XLR since I believed that XLR is the best to avoid noise and I get a little more gain when plugging into my nc400 monoblocks. But when I saw the Marantz AV7705 review and those terrible values compared against the price this thought crumbled. As I currently see it, I would go way better - and cheaper - with a Denon X3700H and RCA/XLR plugs.

Currently I have a Denon X6400H, two NC400 monoblocks and a 4.0 speaker setup. The monoblocks are for the fronts and I am considering getting a Hypex UCD400 stereo kit for the surrounds to have all power amps separately so I can get a processor without amp. But like I've written above, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just stick with an X3700H, use the internal amps for the surrounds and just use the preouts with RCA/XLR cable to the two NC400.

One solution would be about 1000 €, the other one about 3.500 €. The intermediary solution with the X3700H amps turned off and using an UCD400 would be about 1600 €.
Considering HDMI 2.1 I think there won't be any upgrade itch anymore since 4k/120fps is the end of the line when it comes to video resolution and framerate - at least for me.

Can someone who made a similar journey share if and how a "real" processor is worth it?

Selarom

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just stick with an X3700H, use the internal amps for the surrounds and just use the preouts with RCA/XLR cable to the two NC400.

Hello, I have not gone the separates route but am familiar with the setup and what you propose is the way to go IMO.

I would go XLR if you want the amps to be right next to the speaker where extending a RCA cable all the way to the back to the surround channels may be detrimental if it picks up interference from external sources and even this would need to be a huge EMI/RFI and even then, it can be alleviated with proper cable routing and cable shielding. They would also have to be some very long runs as well.

Surround channels provide support but don’t carry the mix, the front channels do. They will receive plenty of power from the x3700h for those tasks.
I am assuming your intention is general Home Theater movie use, Blu-Ray movies and concerts, etc… if your intention is playing back AIX Record 5.1 surround stage mixes, then I would totally go 5 identical speakers in a circle around me, and get identical monoblocks for each speaker. You know, go all out hehe. Regardless of the situation, a minimum of 2 subs in diametrically opposed positions for even bass accross the space is always recommended. Hope this helps

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
In a normal home set-up unbalanced RCA connections don't degrade the sound.

Balanced connections are more noise-immune so they are good for microphones (where a tiny signal makes the signal-to-noise ratio worse) or for long cable runs (like for theater sound, etc.). Or if you have ground-loop noise/hum, balanced connections should help. (You are also more likely to have ground loop problems over long runs.) XLR connections are also more rugged (and they latch) so they are more reliable in pro settings.

OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
Hey guys,

I became impatient after seeing that the planned UCD 400 stereo kit from Hypex for my surrounds was only 3 pieces left in stock at one of the few retailers who had it and ordered it. The ongoing world wide shortage of electronics got me worried.
Now only the pre amp is left but I am still sure it will be the 3700x - maybe the 3800x when it's on the horizon? - in the end. The price value ratio is just too good. The benefits I would get from XLR considering my 2-3 metres cable lenght would be probably neglectable and just the "little man inside my ear" trying to convince me to buy into placebo. I hate that little guy.:)

On the other hand I always had trouble with a 40 Hz bass boost and 140 Hz hole due to wall proximity. The lowest the graphical EQ from Denon can handle is 63 Hz with a high Q. I'd love a procesor with a very good EQ so I can handle those issues manually. I'd like to avoid calibration systems for now but I won't compain if the processor has it anyway.

eric-c

Forum Donor
I used XLR from my prepro to my power amp for functional reasons including:
- prepro is at the back of the theatre. I have three power amps in the front (3 ch and two 2 ch for passive subs) of the room. its a 50' run in total
- the cables for the XLR are much more flexible and thinner than RG-6U that I have also run for RCAs. I have about 12+ cables going through a small cutout on my screen wall so thickness matters. 7+ of those cables are XLR. If i used just RG-6U, it would not fit.
- the Crown K1 power amps for the passive subs only take XLR's and TRS and I use the feature on the amps that allow you to replicate out the XLR connection for daisy chaining amps
- I like the locking connectors on the XLR
- if i need to test something out and need more length, I can use / add another XLR cable to the existing one since they are male/female vs the usual male/male on RCA cables

OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
What processor do you have? I am interested in the ones from Emotiva since they seem to have great value for the price but they still don't have HDMI 2.1 boards. The other option would be the latests Marantz pre amps but the specs from earlier reviews looked bad.

eric-c

Forum Donor
I have the Emotiva XMC-1 that I bought as a factory refurb. The only reason why I bought it was to simplify the cabling namely using HDMI for both audio and video from my sources. Previously, I used a Bryston SP 1.7 which had no video switching. I would have kept it if I had just one video source but I have more and I want to decode SACD's in the prepro vs the universal player then using the 5.1 analog outs. I have a simple 5.1 / 7.1 setup so I do not need all the extra channels. Ideally, I wanted a Bryston SP-3 prepro but even used ones were about 3-4x times the price of the factory refurb Emotiva XMC-1. If the right deal comes along for a Bryston SP-3, I will jump on it.

OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
Oh boy, 12k for the Bryston. That's more than my entire hifi system is worth. Any reason what makes the Bryston so special or "worth" the price? My experience is that super expensive gear usually performs the same or even worse than mid-high class consumer grade gear. I even consider the Emotiva processors really expensive but they seem to at least deliver tons of features. The idea of having Dirac even when not in use is kind of appealing.
The reason is want an processor is because I got separate amps now and don't want to spend money on main features(integrated amps) I will never use. But considering all variables a simple Denon AVR with turned off amps still looks like the best option for now.

ferrellms

Greetings from Berlin,

in my current ongoing journey to a more modular setup for my living room system I am looking for a preamp or processor with XLR since I believed that XLR is the best to avoid noise and I get a little more gain when plugging into my nc400 monoblocks. But when I saw the Marantz AV7705 review and those terrible values compared against the price this thought crumbled. As I currently see it, I would go way better - and cheaper - with a Denon X3700H and RCA/XLR plugs.

Currently I have a Denon X6400H, two NC400 monoblocks and a 4.0 speaker setup. The monoblocks are for the fronts and I am considering getting a Hypex UCD400 stereo kit for the surrounds to have all power amps separately so I can get a processor without amp. But like I've written above, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just stick with an X3700H, use the internal amps for the surrounds and just use the preouts with RCA/XLR cable to the two NC400.

One solution would be about 1000 €, the other one about 3.500 €. The intermediary solution with the X3700H amps turned off and using an UCD400 would be about 1600 €.
Considering HDMI 2.1 I think there won't be any upgrade itch anymore since 4k/120fps is the end of the line when it comes to video resolution and framerate - at least for me.

Can someone who made a similar journey share if and how a "real" processor is worth it?
Just a comment on whether XLR is worth paying extra for in consumer hifi - all other things equal, XLR won't make an audible difference for less than 40-50 foot cable runs where it will be less susceptible to external RFI than unbalanced. As a practical matter, XLR is a solid connection that is easily used and comes on reasonably priced cables.

Top Bottom