• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Processor Recommendation

CosmoM

Hello, I was hoping someone could recommend a processor / pre-amp under $2k.

We currently have an Emotiva XPA-2 amplifier and Songtower speakers.

We plan to use HDMI inputs into the processor (including a Chromecast) as well as phono. We would also like the processor to have Bluetooth so we can send it audio from our phones.

Appreciate any advice!

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

We plan to use HDMI inputs into the processor (including a Chromecast) as well as phono. We would also like the processor to have Bluetooth so we can send it audio from our phones.

Appreciate any advice!
How many channels?

OP
C

CosmoM

We have two speakers. We might get a subwoofer at some point. But forgive me for my lack of knowledge, why does that matter? Since the processor would just send right and left sound to the amp via RCA cables?

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We have two speakers. We might get a subwoofer at some point. But forgive me for my lack of knowledge, why does that matter? Since the processor would just send right and left sound to the amp via RCA cables?
Because if you required a lot of channels, only certain processors will have support and narrows the options. Given you have only 2.1, any of them are an option.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you never intend to go beyond 2.1, you could also get something like an NAD M10v2 if you liked something smaller. Or something like a Denon X3600/3700.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
NAD C658 seems like a solid option with Dirac

OP
C

CosmoM

Thanks! When I look at the back panel of the Denon, I don’t see any RCA outputs to connect to the amplifier. How do I connect this unit to the amp?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! When I look at the back panel of the Denon, I don’t see any RCA outputs to connect to the amplifier. How do I connect this unit to the amp?
They are in the "PRE OUT" section.
d_avr_x3600h_gallery_4_na.jpg

avr-x3700h-1b_19102020.jpg

OP
C

CosmoM

8946554E-5410-4116-936A-7080B8469135.jpeg
Ah - I said RCA but actually these are the connection points in the amp. I thought these were RCA but maybe that’s the wrong name.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Appreciate any advice!
What source you will be using mainly, film or music?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably about 50/50 between music and TV/film.
Film soundtracks in stereo is a fallback legacy format that doesn’t include the LFE channel, hence your subwoofer will not produce the sounds that the director intended.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Ah - I said RCA but actually these are the connection points in the amp
RCA is a type of connector, sometimes called a phono connector (used on phonographs/turntables). Not to be confused with a phone connector.

Most commonly it's used for line level audio signals. Most of the RCA connectors on CD/DVD players & TVs, etc., are line-level audio connections. If it's volume-controlled we call it a "preamp output". A preamp output goes to a power-amp input and usually the volume control is usually in the preamp. On a TV the RCA outputs may or may not be volume controlled and you usually have to check the user manual or just try it.

The RCA outputs on a regular-old turntable are very low level so they have to go-through a phono preamp to get a line-level signal. In the old days the phono preamp was built into the receiver or preamp or integrated amp. Phono inputs are more rare now but you can also get turntables with a built-in preamp.

RCA connectors are also used for composite video and digital S/PDIF audio.

OP
C

CosmoM

RCA is a type of connector, sometimes called a phono connector (used on phonographs/turntables). Not to be confused with a phone connector.

Most commonly it's used for line level audio signals. Most of the RCA connectors on CD/DVD players & TVs, etc., are line-level audio connections. If it's volume-controlled we call it a "preamp output". A preamp output goes to a power-amp input and usually the volume control is usually in the preamp. On a TV the RCA outputs may or may not be volume controlled and you usually have to check the user manual or just try it.

The RCA outputs on a regular-old turntable are very low level so they have to go-through a phono preamp to get a line-level signal. In the old days the phono preamp was built into the receiver or preamp or integrated amp. Phono inputs are more rare now but you can also get turntables with a built-in preamp.

RCA connectors are also used for composite video and digital S/PDIF audio.
Thanks! So can that Denon connect to my Emotiva amp? The pre-amp outputs look like phono connections whereas the Emotiva amp has these inputs:
6F92A229-0ED9-44DC-B4C6-45F709D48F5B.jpeg

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! So can that Denon connect to my Emotiva amp? The pre-amp outputs look like phono connections whereas the Emotiva amp has these inputs:View attachment 253880
Use the top connectors. They are RCA. Don't forget to flip the "input select" switch to point to top.

xpag3_2_rear-1.png

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RCA is more susceptible to ground loop problems, which you may or may not have (it is difficult to predict). Otherwise, differences in sound quality should be hard to impossible to discern.

Since the published sensitivity spec of the Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 3 is the same for RCA and XLR inputs, an in-between solution would to use RCA to XLR adapter cables. Using the correct RCA to XLR adapter cables should reduce, but not eliminate, ground loop problems (if you have any). Examples of these adapter cables are (economy version):
And (high build quality version):

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My first thought was a multich unit. Many 2ch units don't have bass management, too.

OP
C

CosmoM

RCA is more susceptible to ground loop problems, which you may or may not have (it is difficult to predict). Otherwise, differences in sound quality should be hard to impossible to discern.

Since the published sensitivity spec of the Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 3 is the same for RCA and XLR inputs, an in-between solution would to use RCA to XLR adapter cables. Using the correct RCA to XLR adapter cables should reduce, but not eliminate, ground loop problems (if you have any). Examples of these adapter cables are (economy version):
And (high build quality version):
Thanks so much for your detailed recommendation! I think we going with a Denon 4700 which is currently on sale for $1,499.

Top Bottom