• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Processor + amp to go with Dynaudio Contour i60’s (5.1) and two Rel S/812

Dreborn

Hi all! Curious your opinion, cutting through all the marketing, what processor and amp i should get with my home theater setup. I do like the idea of separates so i can update processor for newer tech in a few years and keep my amp (which still should be good...a good amp is a good amp!)

I don’t see myself ever going over 5.1 any time soon. Mostly watch stream TV, movies, and video game (in that order)

thanks!

Darvis

Processors seem to just be receivers with the amps removed and the price increased. Spock wouldnt like them at all (and, BTW, do you see any processors on the Enterprise? Right, I rest my case)

A receiver will do the same, will save you money and will give you the flexibility of choosing which channels you want external amps for.

OP
D

Dreborn

Processors seem to just be receivers with the amps removed and the price increased. Spock wouldnt like them at all (and, BTW, do you see any processors on the Enterprise? Right, I rest my case)

A receiver will do the same, will save you money and will give you the flexibility of choosing which channels you want external amps for.

appreciate your reply! So is the whole “you need separate amp to give speakers enough power” bs?

has our leader shown/measured the difference between a sep processor and big beefy amp?

Darvis

I didn't say that, I'm sure there are plenty of situations where it's better to add a beefy, clean amp. What I said is that it seems much more logical to add such an amp to a receiver rather than a processor. Because the processor won't give you any bonus in sound quality and also because as the receiver has its own amps you can focus on a 2 channels external power amp. There's much more choice in 2ch ones than 5ch ones.

OP
D

Dreborn

Got it got it, my apologies, so get a good receiver and turn off amp

Darvis

That would be my strategy. AFAIK processors tests have been disappointments unfortunately. I hope others will chime in.

TankTop

Do you want an amp that can make full use of the Dyn’s or will it be more mellow listening?

OP
D

Dreborn

Do you want an amp that can make full use of the Dyn’s or will it be more mellow listening?

good question! Really for both. I want clean power at low volume but I love watching Netflix/movies and I need powerful dialogue. Center channel always too weak for me

TankTop

Are you already running the CONTOUR 60i’s? I’m running Special 40’s in stereo and vocals are always perfectly audible.

OP
D

Dreborn

Are you already running the CONTOUR 60i’s? I’m running Special 40’s in stereo and vocals are always perfectly audible.

not yet! I do love the special 40’s. Have them in my office. Amazing speakers

rccarguy

Those are inefficient and low impedance speakers, I would definitely get a good power amplifier

Top Bottom