• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Process of Making High End Stereo Speaker. Wonderful Sound Engineer of Korea

lewdish

Looks like Markaudio CHR-120 woofers, just a bit cut up and a Dayton Air Motion Transformer with some funny stuff at the back. That's about € 140 worth of drivers, sold for about € 2000 a pair.
If you look in the video its a modified full range CHR-70 which is like a $30 driver
1664108886846.png

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Typical "high end", expensive materials and processing but doubtful engineering like for example a waveguide which with this shape most probably won't measure well.
The measurement confirmation of the problems:

image_large2

"Second, I would completely redo the waveguide on the tweeter. I would make it a lot shallower in order to simplify the tweeter’s dispersion and make it a lot less jumbled."

Source: https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/supermon-mini/conclusion

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Review and measurements of another $25.000 bookshelf model :facepalm:

image_large

image_large

notsodeadlizard

This is a pretty nice microsystem, by the way.
Aluminum speakers are not uncommon, but they have always been, if I may say so, fashionable.
In general, nothing shocking or exciting.
And the words "high end" can be ignored for a long time because they do not make any sense. Or, to be more precise, these words have so many meanings that they have no meaning at all.

lewdish

Review and measurements of another $25.000 bookshelf model :facepalm:

image_large

image_large

Do you know how accurate are Audioholics measurement techniques are compared to Amir's NFS?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know how accurate are Audioholics measurement techniques are compared to Amir's NFS?
He usually measures them outside on a high platform so they are not wrong, although he seems to use a bit more smoothing.

lewdish

He usually measures them outside on a high platform so they are not wrong, although he seems to use a bit more smoothing.
I thought he only did that for the subwoofers? In this article it says he has this one up only 4 Feet, wondering if that's sufficient to prevent any significant reflections.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought he only did that for the subwoofers? In this article it says he has this one up only 4 Feet, wondering if that's sufficient to prevent any significant reflections.
You are right, but as he writes the gate/window is in this case good enough for measurements above 600 Hz:

"The SuperMon Isobaric was measured at a height of 4 feet at a 1-meter distance from the microphone, and the measurements were gated at a 5-millisecond delay. In this time window, some resolution is lost below 600 Hz and accuracy is completely lost below 300 Hz."

Top Bottom