• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Problems with SMSL SU-9

hoshy

Hi all,

Due to recent Cambridge Audio DACMagic+ failure I went on the hunt for a new DAC. The SMSL SU-9 fit the bill, and is excellent with a few niggles that might well turn out to be a deal breaker (return of device) if not addressable with setup and/or firmware fix.

Firstly, this is a great DAC. While I'm in the camp that 44.1/16 is plenty enough for home rendering. It's nice to be able to play with full MQA unfolding and DSD. The device has so much potential to be as much as nearly anyone needs. Sadly, there are problems, at least ones I'm having.

1. Some unknown (EMI?) issue is triggering the sonos connect autoswitching input

I've tried everything as many solutions as I can think of, but occasionally Sonos will switch to its analog input when playing other music. This is definitely caused by the DAC. If there's an electrical connection to the sonos it will occasionally trigger the input switch. Electrical connection means:

Direct Coaxial Coaxial from Sonos to DAC
Indirect Coaxial from SONOS to RaspberryPi, to DAC

If the DAC is *ONLY* optically connected, it won't trigger it. However, if the DAC is USB connected to Raspberry Pi, and the Pi in-turn connects electrically via Ethernet on the 2nd Sonos Ethernet port, it will still happen.

I've done many variations of testing here that I won't bore you with.

If I go purely optical from Sonos, to Pi, to DAC and use an ethernet port/wifi for the Pi then it's ok, but to me this is not acceptable because the device is clearly creating some kind of EMI through its ground.

I guess this one can't be genuinely solved by setup or firmare updates but I felt it should be reported to others.

2. Occasionally it loses the left channel

Ok, this never happens in "normal" usage. However, when AB testing, switching sources, plugging unplugging USB, the DAC get confused with its output and kills the left channel. Every few seconds the DAC software tries to reinitialise the channel, it turns on, plays music with a lot of white noise behind it for a couple of seconds, then turns off again - this repeats indefinitely until the DAC is power-cycled.

This feels like it could be cured with a software update to the DAC. Fingers crossed SMSL will pay attention (this thread will be posted to a support ticket with them).

I thnk I've done my testing and research carefully enough to be certain these are SMSL issues (or at least issues with my particular device) but if anybody has experience, remedies, or further input, I'm happy to try further.

OP
H

hoshy

nope. total quiet.

CJL

Hi all,

Due to recent Cambridge Audio DACMagic+ failure I went on the hunt for a new DAC. The SMSL SU-9 fit the bill, and is excellent with a few niggles that might well turn out to be a deal breaker (return of device) if not addressable with setup and/or firmware fix.

Firstly, this is a great DAC. While I'm in the camp that 44.1/16 is plenty enough for home rendering. It's nice to be able to play with full MQA unfolding and DSD. The device has so much potential to be as much as nearly anyone needs. Sadly, there are problems, at least ones I'm having.

1. Some unknown (EMI?) issue is triggering the sonos connect autoswitching input

I've tried everything as many solutions as I can think of, but occasionally Sonos will switch to its analog input when playing other music. This is definitely caused by the DAC. If there's an electrical connection to the sonos it will occasionally trigger the input switch. Electrical connection means:

Direct Coaxial Coaxial from Sonos to DAC
Indirect Coaxial from SONOS to RaspberryPi, to DAC

If the DAC is *ONLY* optically connected, it won't trigger it. However, if the DAC is USB connected to Raspberry Pi, and the Pi in-turn connects electrically via Ethernet on the 2nd Sonos Ethernet port, it will still happen.

I've done many variations of testing here that I won't bore you with.

If I go purely optical from Sonos, to Pi, to DAC and use an ethernet port/wifi for the Pi then it's ok, but to me this is not acceptable because the device is clearly creating some kind of EMI through its ground.

I guess this one can't be genuinely solved by setup or firmare updates but I felt it should be reported to others.

2. Occasionally it loses the left channel

Ok, this never happens in "normal" usage. However, when AB testing, switching sources, plugging unplugging USB, the DAC get confused with its output and kills the left channel. Every few seconds the DAC software tries to reinitialise the channel, it turns on, plays music with a lot of white noise behind it for a couple of seconds, then turns off again - this repeats indefinitely until the DAC is power-cycled.

This feels like it could be cured with a software update to the DAC. Fingers crossed SMSL will pay attention (this thread will be posted to a support ticket with them).

I thnk I've done my testing and research carefully enough to be certain these are SMSL issues (or at least issues with my particular device) but if anybody has experience, remedies, or further input, I'm happy to try further.

========================
Sorry to hear that. I was just about to pull the trigger and saw your blog. Did you return the unit and/or get a replacement? Would it be possible this is an isolated case?

OP
H

hoshy

========================
Sorry to hear that. I was just about to pull the trigger and saw your blog. Did you return the unit and/or get a replacement? Would it be possible this is an isolated case?

Hi,

I didn't exchange it. Problem 1 is solved by isolating the device by using optical cables, and problem 2 only happened when fiddling / setting up - not in steady state operation.

I did however notice there's a small ground hum coming through the right channel too - i can only perceive is late a night after music has stopped, so it's in no way affecting anything - but again, the dac magic plus never did this, so it's just one more example of lack of attention to detail.

I still think this is a great little dac but unless you need MQA,DSD, Bluetooth.... the same audio quality and lack of niggles can be found for half the price elsewhere. Arcam/Cambridge Audio etc.

SOUNDSONIC

Just ordered mine. Some friends told me that isolating the unit from other PS bricks and not sharing its PS cord to other equipment will reduce some generated noise. Will be coupling the SU-9 to my DA-9. Will do some testing and hope I will not encounter any problem....

Milioli

My SU-9 unit got the screen totaly black when setting the Brightness to minimum. It was really, really hard to change the settings back (using a strong external light) and there is no external reset. Be carefull.
Appart from that (and the strange Press C Before First Use remote control), the sound is really good, specially with MQA.

SOUNDSONIC

My SU-9 unit got the screen totaly black when setting the Brightness to minimum. It was really, really hard to change the settings back (using a strong external light) and there is no external reset. Be carefull.
Appart from that (and the strange Press C Before First Use remote control), the sound is really good, specially with MQA.

Now I understand the use of that ABC in the remote control. 'A' probably for the main amp wc in my case is the DA9. 'B' is for the DAC (SU9) and the 'C' is for the headphone amp (SH9). In summary, you will only just need 1 remote control to manage the 3 units by merely pressing the ABC buttons...cool!

Top Bottom