• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Problems with dac

davidebond

Hi. Use a Topping dx3 with the laptop. If I open firstly foobar2000 before to connect the dac to the PC, most of the times the dac doesn't work. I must detach It from the Wall socket and re-attach It anew. Then, It does work. Must I connect the dac before opening foobar2000?

Thanks and best,

Davide

staticV3

Master Contributor
A bit more details please.
Do you just plug in the DAC and press play in foobar, or do you open foobar's Output preferences, but the DAC doesn't appear there unless it's plugged in before foobar is launched?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hi. Use a Topping dx3 with the laptop. If I open firstly foobar2000 before to connect the dac to the PC, most of the times the dac doesn't work. I must detach It from the Wall socket and re-attach It anew. Then, It does work. Must I connect the dac before opening foobar2000?

Thanks and best,

Davide
Foobar detects drivers when you open it.
Isn't it logical not to find it if it's not there?
If you insist doing this then you have to manually add it every time on the output menu.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

To @Zek: thanks. I suspected It. There are not more detail. If I connect the dac and then open foobar2000 or another player to listen to music. It does not work. More: if I search the dac in the audio preferences of Windows 11, I find It but if I test It, It doesn't work. No sound, albeit in foobar2000 It seems to play.

@Zek has right. It Is a matter of order.

Thanks and best,

Davide

staticV3

Master Contributor
More: if I search the dac in the audio preferences of Windows 11, I find It but if I test It, It doesn't work. No sound, albeit in foobar2000 It seems to play.
That suggests that you're using either Wasapi Exclusive or ASIO output in foobar. In this case, foobar will have exclusive access to the DAC and no other application can play on it. Not even the sound tester in Windows settings.

As for your original problem, if you open foobar, plug in the DAC, and press play, then foobar won't automatically switch to the new DAC. You first have to open the Output preferences and select the new DAC.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

Thanks. Yes. I use native Asio drivers as output. I installed Also the Asio proxy.

Best,

Davide

OP
davidebond

davidebond

I did as you suggests. It does not work. I must detach the dac from the electric source, not from the PC. And It Is not sufficient to connect firstly the dac and then open foobar2000.

Top Bottom