• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Problems Optimising Set-Up and Sound with RME ADI-2 FS

DavidNesbitt

New audiophile seeks help with streaming Qobuz through windows pc connected by USB to RME ADI-2 FS

I am using it as a dac/headphone amp connected to Massdrop 6xx headphones with an OIDIO headphone cable.
The PC is connected by ethernet to my internet router on a run with a switch. The comms switch is sat on the dell pc tower
I have the RME on my desk and my headphones wired into this DAC/Amp.
Which settings and equipment do I need / should I choose to optimise playback?

QOBUZ
The settings for the Qobuz audio output device are as attached - see pic.
Not sure if I have the right drivers and the set up right?
Which should I choose to optimise playback?

RME
Also should I have the DAC set up on I/O Mode as Highpower for these Senny Headphones? At the moment I have it selected as Hi-Power off on Phones
Which should I choose to optimise playback?

PC- Dell Windows 10 Pro
Also does it make any difference which usb port i use on my PC tower unit - front USB or back?
Finally - does cabling and the quality of the USB cable make a big difference. Someone I know has recommended Phash & Curiousity Cables USB? It is worth the money to upgrade the USB cable?

Attachments

• qobuz.PNG
    qobuz.PNG
    78.4 KB · Views: 159

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Qobuz setup looks alright to me. You may want to check buffer settings in the RME's ASIO control panel, as chances are you won't need super low latency. Not sure what this comes preset to, but 512 samples should be plenty low enough for our purposes.

RME:
Amir has measured maximum output of 10 mW into 300 ohm loads (~1.7 Vrms) with high power mode disabled. That should generally get the job done, but if you find it does not go loud enough you can toggle this setting.

PC / USB:
I would prefer a rear port for a permanently installed cable - keeps it out of the way, doesn't take up a front port, and you're not at the mercy of the case manufacturer in terms of internal connection quality.
You do not need a fancy USB cable, just a decent quality one that works properly at 2.0 speeds. The one you bought for a printer 20 years ago (in USB 1.1 times) may be pushing it, but it doesn't have to be brand new either. USB A-B cables have been around for a long time, and the requirements of a USB DAC aren't any different than those of a laser printer.

Speaking of cables, the stock Sennheiser cable is perfectly fine. If you don't need another plug, I don't see a point in swapping it out for anything heavier and more unwieldy.

Top Bottom