• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Problem with sub noise

MCH

Major Contributor
Hello gang,

I think I might have a problem with my new sub. But as it is also my first sub I am not sure it is a real problem, so wanted to ask here….

The sub is a SVS SB-1000 (non pro, but new, probably one of the last ones around).
The problem is that whenever it is on, I can hear a background noise. It is very noticeable, especially at night, so I am quite confident it is not normal.

Some facts:

- The noise is there even when no signal is given to the sub
- The volume has no effect on the noise
- Plugging one RCA or the two RCA has no effect
- I would say it is not a ground loop because unplugging all RCAs has no effect either.
- The only control that has some effect is the crossover setting. The higher frequency I set, the stronger the noise. With the crossover at, say, less than 80Hz, the noise is very much reduced.

So what do you guys think? Is the sub broken? Any ideas on what to try?

Additional question. My plan is to use a external dsp crossover. I understand (and this is what the manual says), that in this case I should set the sub low pass filter to the max (LFE position), but this is the setting that makes the noise louder…. Does it hurt to apply an external SDP crossover at say, 80 Hz and still keep the sub crossover at say, 100Hz to try to minimize the noise?

Thank you for your help, hoping not to have to send it back....

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hello gang,

I think I might have a problem with my new sub. But as it is also my first sub I am not sure it is a real problem, so wanted to ask here….

The sub is a SVS SB-1000 (non pro, but new, probably one of the last ones around).
The problem is that whenever it is on, I can hear a background noise. It is very noticeable, especially at night, so I am quite confident it is not normal.

Some facts:

- I would say it is not a ground loop because unplugging all RCAs has no effect either.
- The only control that has some effect is the crossover setting. The higher frequency I set, the stronger the noise. With the crossover at, say, less than 80Hz, the noise is very much reduced.

Additional question. My plan is to use a external dsp crossover. I understand (and this is what the manual says), that in this case I should set the sub low pass filter to the max (LFE position), but this is the setting that makes the noise louder…. Does it hurt to apply an external SDP crossover at say, 80 Hz and still keep the sub crossover at say, 100Hz to try to minimize the noise?

Can you describe the noise? Humming, hissing, popping, ???

Whatever it is, contact SVS and ask them. If the amp is bad (it happens) they may exchange the sub or send you a replacement amp to install.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Hello gang,

Some facts:

What does it sound like and what sort of noise is it, a hiss, whine, or hum, etc.?

Edit: Looks like DonH56 has asked the same question. :)

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
Thanks all. The noise is, well, low frequency and continous, no hiss or pop.
Ok i get it is definitely not normal, will check my chances to send it back or get a replacement something. Thanks

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had an SB1000 a couple of years ago that would continually emit a low frequency rumble at a level which was audible.
It was a bad amp and was replaced.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I could speculate and say LF rumble is often "motor boating" (putt-putt-putt but very low frequency) caused by a problem in the power supply or feedback circuit. The solution for a consumer is a new amp, especially for a new sub. See what they say; they may just ship you an amp if you can replace it yourself, or may ship a new sub so you can return the defective one. SVS has a good rep for customer service.

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I could speculate and say LF rumble is often "motor boating" (putt-putt-putt but very low frequency) caused by a problem in the power supply or feedback circuit. The solution for a consumer is a new amp, especially for a new sub. See what they say; they may just ship you an amp if you can replace it yourself, or may ship a new sub so you can return the defective one. SVS has a good rep for customer service.
Yeah, that sounds like the issue I had. Good call.

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
They are telling me to send them a video. Thing is i am in europe and where i bought it they told me it is the last one they have, so really wanted to avoid to have to send it back. The size etc is perfect for me.
Thanks all for your answers, i wasn't sure i had something set up wrong, even if there isn't much to set at all...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
They are telling me to send them a video. Thing is i am in europe and where i bought it they told me it is the last one they have, so really wanted to avoid to have to send it back. The size etc is perfect for me.
Thanks all for your answers, i wasn't sure i had something set up wrong, even if there isn't much to set at all...
If it makes the noise with nothing else connected, you've pretty well isolated the problem to the sub. ;)

Sorry for the hassle! Hopefully they'll get you back in bass quickly.

chuckt62

Editor
If the place you bought it from is an authorized SVS dealer they can most likely handle the shipping receiving, if it comes to that. If SVS determines that it is indeed a Mfg. defect they may send one to the dealer and you can just swap it out when they receive it.

Reactions: MCH

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Replacing the amp is also very easy. If they are willing to send you an amp that would be great. Then you don't have to ship anything. Let us know the outcome. Usually SVS has fantastic customer service.

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
Yes, sure, will let you know if there is interest.
Voo, even when the only cable is the mains cable, the rumble is there.

Voo

try cycling the power on/off few times and also different electrical outlet...electricity funny sometimes.

Reactions: MCH

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Höga buller och ljud är stora problem på många arbetsplatser.Buller kan orsaka allvarliga hörselskador och ökade stressnivåer. Genom en ljudmätning kan vi synliggöra ljudnivån för att se vad den innebär för dig och dina anställda eller medlemmarna i din bostadsrättsförening
Could you use a translator and post in English please.

Top Bottom