• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Problem with Oppo UDP-203 with No HDMI Signal. Can you help please?

RF Air

Forum Donor
Purchased a used 4K Player on Ebay, which is my first time buying a used A/V Device. Purchased the Allstate One Year Warranty Coverage just in case I ran into a problem. I have a problem.

The item is returnable to the Seller. The Unit was superbly packed in original packaging, double boxed. Appears to be in excellent condition with no smells or damage, all original items including the Oppo Carrying Bag were included. Seller is not an A/V Dealer.

I disconnected my older Oppo Blu-Ray Player BDP-95 which works great and has no issues operating directly with the LG OLED TV. Connected the UDP-203 directly to my LG 65 OLED C1 into HDMI input. Performed LG Set-up and have a persistent "No Signal" display. Swapped Cables 4K HDMI Cables, tried to apply HDMI to a Dell Monitor, all registered a No Signal.

I have great Audio via RCA and functionality of the Unit and Menu Screens. Playing great with CD, Blu-Ray Audio and 4K Ultra HD Movie Disc; Audio Playback only, No HDMI Video. Hard Reset has not produced any changes for "No Signal" of HDMI . Disconnected TV Power, no change. Confirmed I am in "Main" HDMI Out and not "Audio". Tried to configure with an EArc input with the UDP by selecting the Display selection on the player.

Connected to LAN Internet thinking that it may request an update to the Firmware if it was needed. Cannot access or see which version is loaded due to no video. Ordered the Update CD from OPPO website to see if I can install it automatically if I inserted a Disc to correct any fault that may be causing the HDMI No Signal problem.

There is a "Pure Audio" feature for turning off the Video Circuits and Display from the Remote. Tried cycling this a couple times, no changes for HDMI Signal.

Dead in the water here, reaching out to the great minds here for help or suggestions. Thank you!

Last edited:

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My 203 has a sticker on the back that specifies "Manufactured December 2017". Out of curiosity what does yours read?

I have had funky HDMI connection issues between my Oppo, the AVR (both Yamaha A1080 and now Denon 3700), and the Samsung TV. Without being able to substantiate it my inclination is the TV may be my problem.

It sounds like you're not using an AVR in the middle though.

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
My 203 has a sticker on the back that specifies "Manufactured December 2017". Out of curiosity what does yours read?

I have had funky HDMI connection issues between my Oppo, the AVR (both Yamaha A1080 and now Denon 3700), and the Samsung TV. Without being able to substantiate it my inclination is the TV may be my problem.

It sounds like you're not using an AVR in the middle though.
Manufactured October 2016. I am purchasing a new AVR but have not received it yet. Running directly to Amps and Television for Sound and Video in the meantime. I'm thinking there is an HDMI problem with the Player, maybe a quick fix, I hope.

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
Purchased the Firmware Update from Oppo and was able to make the upgrade without the TV Screen by following the Manual as the reference for making the cursor moves. Upgrade completed, but the screen did not come alive on the TV. Guessing it's a bad HDMI Connector or HDMI Board. The Ebay Seller was very cool, sent the Player back for full refund. Disappointed that I could not get this to work.

I contacted George Meyer AV Services in Los Angeles and they typically will not work on any of the Oppo Players due to part availability. That sealed the fate of this transaction. I can and have equipment and training as an ET, but felt it was better to let this deal pass and not attempt a resolder of the HDMI Connector to the PCB. I inspected the unit, everything appeared intact, but I had some concern with solder connectivity at the HDMI, but nothing obvious, I am unable to attempt a comprehensive circuit test, which is beyond what I anticipated for this purchase.

Sort of disappointed that no one really had any words of advice on this Thread. I guess it's to be expected on legacy gear and a newbie to the Forum. I will say that Amir has a New Denon AVR-X4800H of mine for testing. Waiting on the results to decide if I will keep it or return it. I enjoy supporting and participating with ASR.

Last edited:

Indy

You could have sent it to Oppo in California for repair. It's a flat rate fee for all oppo blu ray players and they ship it back to you free as part of the repair charge. You could have emailed them for advise. They are quick to respond. I have a Oppo 95 player.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious, what did you pay for it? You tested it on no other tv (more out of curiosity, obviously still a problem if it doesn't work with what you have)? That's the message I get sometimes with a handshake issue, and in the past have moved gear from one system to another to get around that. My 203 has been fine with my avrs, never tried it direct to a tv, tho. I'd also look to Oppo for service as they promised to keep going (and so far they seem to be doing that). Didn't know Oppo charges for a firmware update, tho....not sure I've even had one now that I think about it, either....

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
You could have sent it to Oppo in California for repair. It's a flat rate fee for all oppo blu ray players and they ship it back to you free as part of the repair charge. You could have emailed them for advise. They are quick to respond. I have a Oppo 95 player.
I was not aware there is an Oppo Service in California. On the website I only saw the Firmware support and only warranty work which this was a used purchase model from 2016. Notified a highly reputable Los Angeles repair center (George Meyer AV, Inc.) and they stated there was not availability of repair parts for Oppo products anymore. they could make obvious repairs like a broken HDMI Connector, but an HDMI Board problem they would not touch.

I own an Oppo BDP-95 as well, I was wanting an UDP for 4K with this 203 Player. I wish I had known if there was an Oppo repair center. The seller would have paid for the repair by deduction of the cost. When the Upgrade failed to fix the problem, I made the decision to just get the refund. Otherwise it was a wonderful unit, complete with all original packing, looked like it was barely used.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I would bet even money the seller knew the HDMI was dead, that's why he dumped it.
If you normally use HDMI as your connection for music and movies, I would just return it and buy
yourself a new Sony X800M2 for under $300. The Oppo's were great units but their main advantage was their
top shelf DAC and great sound when delivering sound over the RCA analog outs. They are now getting
very long in the tooth and reliability is slowly becoming an issue.
YMMV

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
Curious, what did you pay for it? You tested it on no other tv (more out of curiosity, obviously still a problem if it doesn't work with what you have)? That's the message I get sometimes with a handshake issue, and in the past have moved gear from one system to another to get around that. My 203 has been fine with my avrs, never tried it direct to a tv, tho. I'd also look to Oppo for service as they promised to keep going (and so far they seem to be doing that). Didn't know Oppo charges for a firmware update, tho....not sure I've even had one now that I think about it, either....
I tested the HDMI Output on a Dell Monitor as well as an LG OLED 65" C1 television using two different inputs. Consistently received a "No Signal". My AVR is not available, Amir will be testing my Denon AVR-X4800H, not sure if I will keep it after the results are known.

Oppo charged me $5 for shipping a CD because I was wanting to upgrade without having the GUI Screen on the TV. I thought it would be possible for the CD to Autostart the Upgrade, it did not autostart, but it recognized it as an Upgrade Disc. I was able to make the cursor choices by following the written Manual graphic to "Arrow" my way to the correct page.

Seller fully refunded my $1,200 and paid for the Upgrade Disc. Cool Seller on Ebay who was patient and very trusting of my efforts to try to fix the player.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Seller fully refunded my $1,200 and paid for the Upgrade Disc. Cool Seller on Ebay who was patient and very trusting of my efforts to try to fix the player.
That's good to hear. If he does a lot of selling on ebay, last thing he would want is to hurt his rating with bad feedback.

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
I would bet even money the seller knew the HDMI was dead, that's why he dumped it.
If you normally use HDMI as your connection for music and movies, I would just return it and buy
yourself a new Sony X800M2 for under $300. The Oppo's were great units but their main advantage was their
top shelf DAC and great sound when delivering sound over the RCA analog outs. They are now getting
very long in the tooth and reliability is slowly becoming an issue.
YMMV
Hi @Sal1950,

Actually, the Seller purchased it from a friend, who he said that it worked at the time when he purchased it, but I don't think the Ebay Seller ever tested it. The Seller does not sell Electronic products on their dedicated Ebay business, they sell collectibles.

The seller was really cool to work with and wanted to do anything I needed to make it right. They were generous and I truly hoped it would have worked out. When "George Meyer" said that they have stopped working on Oppo, I was disappointed. Seller was very forthright and I feel that they were disappointed and did not expect this problem as well. I would take your bet, I don't believe it was dumped, the Seller's circumstance was unique.

I purchased an Allstate Warranty for the Player on Ebay, but if no parts are available for repair, it would have been pointless. If in fact it can be repaired by Oppo, can anyone offer me the link to contact to make an inquiry?

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
That's good to hear. If he does a lot of selling on ebay, last thing he would want is to hurt his rating with bad feedback.
This guy was very impressive and generous. Just unfortunate for both of us.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This guy was very impressive and generous. Just unfortunate for both of us.
I'm glad it all worked out well for you. !
It's just MHO but these aged Oppo's just aren't worth investing the kind of money
they're asking today..
YMMV.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was not aware there is an Oppo Service in California. On the website I only saw the Firmware support and only warranty work which this was a used purchase model from 2016. Notified a highly reputable Los Angeles repair center (George Meyer AV, Inc.) and they stated there was not availability of repair parts for Oppo products anymore. they could make obvious repairs like a broken HDMI Connector, but an HDMI Board problem they would not touch.

I own an Oppo BDP-95 as well, I was wanting an UDP for 4K with this 203 Player. I wish I had known if there was an Oppo repair center. The seller would have paid for the repair by deduction of the cost. When the Upgrade failed to fix the problem, I made the decision to just get the refund. Otherwise it was a wonderful unit, complete with all original packing, looked like it was barely used.
The same Oppo facility that was hq here in the US (at least I think its the same address) ...but seems service has it's own id, O.T. Service Inc https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
I'm glad it all worked out well for you. !
It's just MHO but these aged Oppo's just aren't worth investing the kind of money
they're asking today..
YMMV.
Yeah Sal, I can see that. I have collected many Disc and realize that a 4K UHD would have been nice now that I have upgrade to OLED TV. I was prepared for problems but did not expect it. I value your insight and thank you for stepping in to help!

OP
RF Air

RF Air

Forum Donor
Top Bottom