• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Problem with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd gen)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On top of that, I don't think my CPU (i7 7700k at 4.5 ghz) is ever close to being stressed.

Latency is kind of a different issue. You can have all kinds of things that get in the way of real time audio without consuming significant CPU time.

I've used LatencyMon to track down problems before.

Though like you said, if larger buffer sizes make it worse it might be something else.

jfetter

Forum Donor
I had a similar problem on my Motu M4.
All of my computers were quite old, the fastest being an AMD.
So finally went to big block store and purchased a $350 Intel i3. 8gb . Problem solved.
Needed more processor.

hyperplanar

As I've said before, increasing the buffer size usually makes things worse for some reason. On top of that, I don't think my CPU (i7 7700k at 4.5 ghz) is ever close to being stressed.

I had a 2i4 several years ago and experienced the same issues as you (6600k also at 4.5GHz funnily enough :))

IIRC at the time Focusrite had beta drivers out that significantly improved the situation but I still had glitches from time to time. On the other hand, the interface was solid on macOS (Hackintosh setup on the same computer, no Focusrite driver needed since interface is UAC2 compliant) so I think Focusrite's Windows drivers are to blame here.

Would it be possible to run the interface with Windows's built-in UAC2 driver or does it have any limitations preventing it from being used in this case?

Pio2001

Same problems here with a Scarlett 2i2 working in Linux LMDE3 without any driver, just as a default USB output audio device.
So the Focusrite drivers may not be the cause.

Bpjwalk

Did we figure it out? Mine does similar things. When I’m recording in my DAW it works perfectly. When I listen to wave or mp3 files sounds great. But when I listen to samples on the internet or watch YouTube or anything from my cd drive my Scarlett sounds all staticky and crackles. So annoying. Don’t know what to do. If I turn it off and listen to sound through my monitor or internal speakers it’s fine. And the weird thing is it will fix itself, work fine for a week and then be all messed up again.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Strangely enough, since I've posted this thread the phenomenon seems to have disappeared. I don't actually remember what I did, but I think all the messing around might have fixed the issue on its own. The buffer size is currently 64 and it looks like it works without issues.

Top Bottom