• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Problem with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd gen)

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm having a little issue with my 2i2 that I don't know what causes it. any help will be appreciated. Just note in advance that I'm not currently interested in replacing the unit with something else, just solving the issue if possible.

The interface is about 3 years old and works perfectly fine 99% of the time. The way it's configured, I'm using it as a dac and pre-amp going to my active monitors via TRS connection, and it's plugged into my PC via USB. It has an ASIO control panel that sets the sampling frequency and buffer size, but all the sound is routed through the window mixer for most applications. I normally set the device to 44.1khz because it's primarily for music, and the buffer size is at 32. I have EQ APO running in the background, so in the sound control panel the device is set to enable enhancement, otherwise the EQ doesn't work. and it's also not in exclusive mode, if that matters.

The issue is this: in rare occasions, there will be a drop-off or a pop while playing, and sometimes it even mangle and distort the sound to a very high degree. It sounds like sampling has gone off the rails. It tends to happen more when I play movies in the computer, where the sampling frequency is 48khz, but it is not limited to those cases. It almost always resolves itself by simply toggling to a different playback device in windows, and toggling back. Changing the buffer size doesn't affect things, and increasing it tends to make it worse. Recently I had a more severe issue, when I was making a long conference call with a web based app (Jitsi.org), and throughout the call it messed up the sound, distorted, pop, etc. I tried changing the sampling frequency, bit depth, buffer size – nothing really seemed to help. Every time I changed something it resets to unit and by itself is fixed the issue for several minutes, only to return again. Strangely enough, a day after that I made another long conference call using the same app, and it didn't have any issues.

My second playback device is Modi 3, and it has no issues, using the same configuration (USB, through windows mixer, same sampling frequency and bit depth, enabled audio enhancements for EQ).

This problem is far from making the device unusable, it's just really annoying and tend to happen when it's least convenient. Other than this issue, the 2i2 is doing its job fantastically.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had similar problems with both a first and second gen. My conclusion is that Focusrite's drivers just aren't very good. Which is unfortunate since the 2i2 is a nice little piece of hardware.

Since you're just using it for stereo playback you should be able to uninstall the Focusrite drivers and use the Windows 10 UAC2 driver which will likely fic your problems.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

So update – following your advice, I tried to install an updated driver. After the installation, the ASIO control panel disappeared and I could not find a way to bring it back (it no longer existed in the computer). So I did a system restore and got it back to the way it was. Somebody has an idea where did the asio control panel go? I don't want to do another driver install before I can make sure that doesn't happen again.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven't had that one happen to me before...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My Focusrite has a place to select the clock source...

I don't see that mentioned above.

1585666631863.png
1585666610512.png

Access to that is on the tool bar on Windows

1585666917169.png

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Focusrite has a place to select the clock source...

I don't see that mentioned above.

I think that's only for the Clarett series. Neither of my Scarlett 2i2's had that.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Hmm...

Ok...

Just to check my end, since it doesn't say ASIO Control Panel:

The "ASIO Control Panel" button in REW brings up the display I showed above... so, different drivers.

Oh well...

1585668157795.png

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

I now notice something. the little gray F symbol you have for the control panel is different from what I have. but that was the symbol that I got when I updated the driver, that clicking on didn't do anything. Could it be that the updated driver for the 2i2 that I have is somehow broken and doesn't contain the right control panel? Maybe that’s why I suddenly could no longer access it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
that clicking on didn't do anything

Clicking the F brings up a little menu for me, to open the ASIO thing or call up the GUI to control the interface itself.

Hovering over the F gives a little status box for the clocking and rate.

bennetng

Major Contributor
I don't have these products but from my experience in using other interfaces, the clock source is for Clarett's optical input, so irrelevant to 2i2. Even for Clarett users, if the optical input is disconnected, changing the clock source should do nothing as the only digital source is USB.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an 6i6 2nd gen and recently downloaded the latest software and updated its firmware too. Try that, along with another USB cable and higher latency. Also check windows control panel sound control panel and the device's bit depth and sample rate if it is on something lower like 24/96 and not maxed out.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Wouldn't have a clue how to update firmware. And there is no way to control latency with it. I posted a picture of the control panel above – it has only sample rate and buffer size. In windows I can also set the bit depth.

Replacing USB cables is a rabbit hole I don't see a reason going into. Plus, it really doesn't make sense that a USB cable that functions perfectly 99% of the time would suddenly cause these specific problems that can be resolved by toggling to another audio device and back again. This is not how a USB cable failure behaves.

In windows it's configured as 44/24.

bennetng

Major Contributor
And there is no way to control latency with it. I posted a picture of the control panel above – it has only sample rate and buffer size.
Buffer size = latency.
For example, if buffer size is 256 and sample rate is 44.1kHz, latency is 256/44.1 ~= 5.8ms, plus additional delay which you can't control like those from the USB controller, DAC circuitry and so on.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Assuming latency is no concern for you, you’ll want to choose the largest buffer size available (typically 2048), which will reduce strain on your CPU and minimize glitches, dropouts, etc.
As I've said before, increasing the buffer size usually makes things worse for some reason. On top of that, I don't think my CPU (i7 7700k at 4.5 ghz) is ever close to being stressed.

Top Bottom