• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Problem with amplifier

Silvera

So I got the Sabaj PHA2 headphone amplifier today and I'm using with my 150ohms headphones but I get the volume past 7 o'clock because how loud it is and there is no gain setting, db level is measuring around 96db at about 8 o'clock. There is no play at all on the volume its just off or loud. I'm using with a D10. Anything I can do for a solution?

Thank you

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Is the volume control or its ground connection defective? If you have a multimeter, that can be easy to check.

OP
Silvera

Silvera

I'm not sure what you mean I don't have technical experience I just know that the volume does get even louder when turning the knob it's just too loud at the start to begin with

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I would send it back and replace it. This sounds like a defect. If the second unit does the same thing, then there's a fundamental incompatibility and we can approach some solutions. But first, you need to be sure it's working as designed.

OP
Silvera

Silvera

I will try to get my hands on another one, it was purchased to use while I wait for my atom on pre order. In the mean time I can lower the volume in jriver from 100 to 60 which will give me a bit more play on the knob. I was told turning down the volume in the player will cause you to loose bits, is this true? The D10 is connected to jriver using ASIO driver from topping.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I was told turning down the volume in the player will cause you to loose bits, is this true?

You "lose" one bit for every 6dB (halving of voltage) you turn down a digital signal.

Don't worry about it.

OP
Silvera

Silvera

Ok thanks guys I'll lower the software volume for now.

Top Bottom