• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Problem streaming Hi-Res with SMSL M500

pingu63

Problem streaming Hi-Res with SMSL M500. Hello - I have the smsl m500 mkII and am streaming with the WiiM mini via optical cable to it. When I set up the WiiM with the 96khz hi res option in its software there is no problem and the M500 reports 96khz HiRes. The problem is as soon as I use the new Apple classical app (via ipad pro set to use hi-res streaming) the smsl immediately reverts to CD 44.1khz quality, telling me so on its display screen. I know i'm using hi-res tracks on the apple classical app but it doesn't matter what I try, I can't get the smsl DAC to stream from apple in the highest lossless resolution. Anyone know what i'm doing wrong? Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
The SMSL has no way of affecting the sample rate of Apple Music.
Your problem lies with Apple's service or with the WiiM. Not with the SMSL.

OP
P

pingu63

The SMSL has no way of affecting the sample rate of Apple Music.
Your problem lies with Apple's service or with the WiiM. Not with the SMSL.
Thank you very much, that clears things in my mind.

JktHifi

I think this could be the problem: XMOS XU-216
So MKIII was born to fix the problem and become: XMOS XU-316

I use PO100 which is already XMOS XU-316 and now looking for DAC/amp that have only optical which is enough.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this could be the problem: XMOS XU-216
So MKIII was born to fix the problem and become: XMOS XU-316
He's using optical. That would bypass the XMOS. Besides, the XU-216 is perfectly capable of handling high-res audio.

JktHifi

He's using optical. That would bypass the XMOS. Besides, the XU-216 is perfectly capable of handling high-res audio.
He’s using ipad too, right? Not just WIIM.
I found my PO100 switching back and forth very fast between 44.1KHz (green LED) and 96Khz/upper (blue LED) when I call Shazam or type something in iPad at song changes. I think that’s the XMOS take role.

Last edited:
Top Bottom