• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Problem of choosing a good amplifier

keff

Hi,
I live in Europe (Poland). Some time ago I sold all my audio equipment (Emotiva XPA-5, Monitor Audio RS6) and would like to complete a new one. I have the problem of choosing a good amplifier.
The room is 13x16 feet but open to the kitchen and dining room. The room has large windows on both sides. The DL is about 13 feet. Dirac is a must.

After several months of analysis I have chosen:
- speakers: Kef R3,
- SVS 2000 Pro subwoofer,
- preamp/DAC: MiniDSP Flex.

The problem with the choice of amplifier is that the MiniDSP has no 12V trigger output. The amplifiers from Boxem have audiosense. I really like the Arthur 4215/E2, but the price is too high.
Audiophonics based on the Ncore NC502MP suits me for the price, but it only has a trigger, which I won't use.

I have even considered assembling an amplifier myself with the Purifi EVAL1, but again there is the problem with the trigger.

My options are:
1. sell the kidney and buy an Arthur 4215/E2,
2. leave the amp on all the time and forget about triggers/auto audio
3. buy an inferior amp with audiosense.

What would you guys do?

Hi there,

I laud your choices as I have KEF R3 and SVS 3000 Micro myself. I am also in the process of buying the Flex myself.

If the purifi amp from Boxem is out of your budget I would just go for this one: https://boxem-audio.eu/en/stereo-am...k/8-body_color-textured_matte_dark_anthracite

It's not SOTA but it would be close to impossible to hear a difference from the purifi one in a proper blind AB test.

But the question is if you are that lazy that you are willing to pay 400 Eur extra on top of a similar amp from audiophonics mostly for the audio-sense feature. How many times a day do you have to turn the amp On and Off? If it's less than 3 times then the price difference is probably not worth it. If it's 10 times a day then it might be worth considering.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Great choice of equipment!

If I understand your question correctly the main point is that you want to have an auto on/off trigger on the power amp.

Personally I would choose an ncore based amp that is cheaper.
Upgrade later if/when funds allow.
If I had to choose between the three provided options I would choose either 2. or buy a different speaker/sub that would allow me to do what I want. For example a powered speaker by Genelec. Or a more affordable sub than the svs2000. (Maybe diy based on hypex plate amp?)

diablo

Forum Donor
I use ordinary amps without triggers. Though in view of electricity prices soaring I connect them using Tp-link wifi controlled plugs. I'm getting used to always switching them off when finished.

chips666

A smart master/slave power strip may be a good solution
The audible differences between Ncore and Purifi are small and probably impossible to detect with a proper blind AB test
Enjoy...

Top Bottom